How many spare tires do you carry?? I may start carrying two...

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
Well, I was out on Miller Jeep Trail last Friday having a great time, topless, beautiful weather easy part of the trail just cruising along about 10 mph and Bang, Bang... SSSSSS WTH??? Both Passenger tires sidewalls blown... actually Shredded..
https://youtu.be/eH536RQNQZE
I never would have thought I'd destroy 2 tires at a stroke

Attachments

• IMG_20170930_093341378_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170930_093341378_HDR.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_20170930_093305842_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170930_093305842_HDR.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 384
Really? That rock? Bad luck. How many ply are the stt pros? I find it ironic the slash is right at the spot that says armor tek. You just leave the flat on the rear and limp back to pavement?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
They are 10 ply and I was 10 miles from pavement. I was incredibly lucky. Someone I had met a couple of weeks before I saw 10 minutes before the Rock hit. He was headed out, he decided to follow and see what was down the road where I had went... My spare, his spare... I'm taking him to dinner next week... he saved me a lot of difficulty

Trail JK

Wow that is some pretty bad luck. In fact, I've only seen this happen to one other person and he was on stock sport tires. I don't know about taking two spares but it's always a good idea to travel trails with a buddy. As you mentioned you were fortunate to see your friend on the trail. Glad everything worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
Wow that is some pretty bad luck. In fact, I've only seen this happen to one other person and he was on stock sport tires.

And these weren't anything like stock... Cooper STT pro's... less than 200 miles on them...
Bad luck to get taken out, Great luck to get help just drive up:thumb:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Hard to tell for sure, but these do look a little.... "artificial" after further inspection regarding "booby traping" talk in the thread... :shock:
First tire (passenger)
2017-10-03 08_25_32-(8) The Rock - YouTube.jpg

Send tire (Driver)
2017-10-03 08_26_15-(8) The Rock - YouTube.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like a pinch rupture. Not uncommon to do when bombing through the desert but if you really were just going 10 mph, I'd have to wonder how much air were you running in your tires. Also, safe to assume these were just load range C tires? Either way, this is the biggest reason to never go wheeling alone AND to run a common tire size - so that you can bum a spare off a friend and without issues if needed. Good thing you hooked up with that guy on the trail.

jesse3638

Hooked
Looks like a pinch rupture. Not uncommon to do when bombing through the desert but if you really were just going 10 mph, I'd have to wonder how much air were you running in your tires. Also, safe to assume these were just load range C tires? Either way, this is the biggest reason to never go wheeling alone AND to run a common tire size - so that you can bum a spare off a friend and without issues if needed. Good thing you hooked up with that guy on the trail.

Being from the mountain bike world the "snake bite" (pintch flatting a tube) was a common problem before going to tubeless tires. I had always wondered it this was possible while aired down in the Jeep. Now I know.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Being from the mountain bike world the "snake bite" (pintch flatting a tube) was a common problem before going to tubeless tires. I had always wondered it this was possible while aired down in the Jeep. Now I know.

LOL!! "snake bite" is a term I haven't heard in a while but yeah, same thing.

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
I think you're exactly right about the pinch rupture. Also if you notice, the rock has a bit of a knife edge at exactly the right/wrong angle... I was running about 9lbs of pressure and the rock ring saved the wheels. All in all, even though it cost about $600 bucks it was a good experience.

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
Oh, and these were E load rated tires....

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Two flats? Just call AAA. They'll send a sling style tow truck when you specifically requested a flat bed and try to charge you more money for a flatbed. When you don't pay, they'll leave you stranded wherever you are with your two flat tires! :naw:

BobNH

That sucks, and bad luck for sure. I thought you hooked the boulder on the inside of that turn. Those little rocks will kill ya.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom