Auto to standard

G-mansjk

I'm wanting to do the same with my jk the auto trans is the only thing I hate about the jeep... I'm thinking parts needed from a donor will be at least: driveshafts, center console, possibly trans cross member, ecm from standard vehicle, a few electrical connectors, a few bottles of Jack and a lot of patience... I've come to the conclusion I'm better off waiting for the eco diesel jl with the 6 speed manual and sell my soul to the devil for one

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I love manuals and they are what I know best but to swap out an auto for one makes no sense to me.

sm31

Pardon my unsolicited opinion but since it's a forum... :twocents: :cool:

My Jeep is the only auto (personal vehicle) I have ever owned. In the past all cars were standard because they were all... cars. There was a performance benefit to the manual transmission. Although automatic transmissions have progressed to the point where some (not all) of those benefits are no longer valid.

I can't see any benefit to a manual transmission in my jeep for daily driving but I see significant benefits to having an auto when on the trail. This is compounded by my experiences "rowing" the crappy jeep gear box. They have a ridiculously long throw. But apparently that is by design because the one I tried with a short shifter was even worse. Practically had to double clutch between every shift. If jeep gear boxes were "fun" to drive then I could see some benefit pertaining to driver satisfaction but my 1978 Chevette gearbox had a better feel.

FallonJeeper

I agree, I have done both.

My first Jeep, 1979 Full Size J10 was a 4 speed. There's nothing more of a pain in the ass than having to manage clutch, throttle and brakes when negotiating an obstacle. Especially one that is technical. I'm not saying you can't do it. I did it for several years as long as I had that truck. But my left leg sure got tired and I replaced some clutches in the process.

It was, however, great for daily driving and mud bogs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

tinyten

Pedals, clutch, flywheel, pilot bearing, transmission, I believe TJs manual and auto used the same "skid plate crossmember" computer, slave cylinder, center console, there's probably some smaller things but that's most of it.

Top Bottom