MoCANNED MOBY!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As some of you may recall, Cindy and I had a problem with the transmission controller on Moby and one that led to a very long day out in the desert. Fortunately, we were able to get ourselves home safely and soon after, took Moby down to Motech for some medical help. As luck would have it, Motech was just starting to release their all new MoCAN system and decided to upgrade Moby's system to it. While everything on the engine side of things worked out great, we did have a few minor bugs including indicator lights that blinked for no good reason, the horn sounding off without pressing the button, high beams illuminating without engaging it and random codes coming up on the dash from time to time. Certainly, nothing unusual for a brand new system and nothing persistent or critical enough for us to really care and so we just dealt with it until the next time we could have Motech give things a look.

Well, last weekend, Cindy and I made our way out to the 2017 Off-Road Expo show and on our way down, we dropped Moby off at Motech. Fortunately, they did have a firmware update they could make and had Moby ready for us to pick up on our way home. As an added bonus, we had talked to Mitch about maybe eeking out a bit more power out of our 6.2L and holy hell, did he ever do a great job with that!! Just from tuning alone, he was able to hook us up with an additional 50 HP and much to my surprise, I actually lit up the tires as I pulled out of their driveway and without even trying. Needless to say, if you're looking to get a Motech LS or have one and have the drive train to handle it, be sure talk to Mitch :yup:

Anyway, here are a few shots of our trip down to Motech and starting with Moby and Rubicat along the shores of Walker Lake.
20171003184504-fa1dbd5f.jpg

Here's a shot at Motech looking down the row of Jeeps all getting Mo Power!
20171003184522-06ba157c-me.jpg

Picking up Moby after getting fixed up.
20171003184550-a1560b6d.jpg

Among a whole host of other things, Motech was able to get their MoCAN system to give Moby a working PRNDL in spite of the fact that he used to be a manual.
20171003184552-fba4fd1a.jpg

And at long last, here's a shot of Moby home again with a kickass MoCAN system installed, 50 extra HP and no more bugs - THANKS MOTECH!!
20171003184610-f411e4ee.jpg

:cool:

WJCO

Meme King
Wow, good to hear on the extra horsepower. And really cool they were able to get you a working gear indicator.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I ran a 13 second 1/8th mile. I bet Moby can't beat that ;)

He is looking great, better than ever. Hoping maybe one day I can see that beast in person.

Ddays

Hooked
Although it pains this Ford guys heart, It's time to start looking around for a wrecked Chebby with the LS & tranny. :broke:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
That is fantastic but Moby has too many miles and should be put out to pasture...

By the way, the pasture is my garage. :brows::yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Time to take Moby to the track and do some 1/4 miles!

LOL!! That would be fun :crazyeyes:

I want an LS!!!

I want a lot of things ...damn Jeep :cheesy:

Damn Jeep is right. They just suck the money right out of your wallet :crazyeyes:

Wow, good to hear on the extra horsepower. And really cool they were able to get you a working gear indicator.

Damn, glad to see all is well again with moby and they were able to pull some extra power.

The extra horses were a super nice surprise especially being that it was so much more than we already had. Unlike a lame supercharger on a 3.6L, you literally get thrown back in your seat the moment you step on the gas. This is exactly what we were wanting for bombing across the desert as it'll help get us on top of the whoops fast. Just gonna have to be careful on the rocks now :crazyeyes:

I ran a 13 second 1/8th mile. I bet Moby can't beat that ;)

He is looking great, better than ever. Hoping maybe one day I can see that beast in person.

LOL!! It'd be close but I think he could do it :D

Although it pains this Ford guys heart, It's time to start looking around for a wrecked Chebby with the LS & tranny. :broke:

All I can say is that I know die hard Mopar guys giving up on HEMI's to do it. You won't regret it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I saw Motech’s video on this, a few days ago. Very cool that an ex-manual can have PRNDL

It really is way cool that they could get PRNDL to work on a dash made for a manual but I should note, they also have it so that the tap shift shows up on it too. In other words, if you manually shift Moby into something like 3rd gear, it'll show up as a number after the "L". The odometer will also display warnings such as "low coolant" or other issues we might have. Seriously cool stuff :yup:

That is fantastic but Moby has too many miles and should be put out to pasture...

By the way, the pasture is my garage. :brows::yup:

:cheesy: No lie, it's even harder to get back into Rubicat now that Moby has so much power.

Sweet! Never complain about more power!

It's funny because when you're dealing with 20-30 horse power, you can feel it and it's nice but when you get to 50 or more, it literally throws you back in your seat! :yup:

JK07

Eddie, thanks for sharing! Did the extra HP come solely from tuning the ECU or did you upgrade some engine hardware?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, thanks for sharing! Did the extra HP come solely from tuning the ECU or did you upgrade some engine hardware?

Just from tuning. It's a BIG part of what makes an LS swap so much nicer than a HEMI.

Top Bottom