Starts but won't stay on

chefant

I need some help. It's my first post here. I have an '87 yj I'm restoring. It does need a lot of work and I'm kind of learning as I go. I've had some experience at this, but I'm a novice. I did change out the mechanical fuel pump because it wasn't getting gas. It still wouldn't start. Then I changed out the stock carb to a Weber. Now it gets gas and starts up but will only stay on if I'm on the throttle. If I let off, it bogs down and stalls with smoke coming from the air cleaner. Any suggestions, other than the timing, on what I should look for next? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I'm not an expert, but it almost sounds like it's not getting enough fuel. Did you adjust the new carb?

WJCO

Meme King
Check idle speed and idle mixture. Both are easily adjusted with a screwdriver. As you already mentioned, check ignition timing as well.

oldroadie

Hey, I'm thinking mist/smoke from the carb implies too much fuel to idle. There's an enrichner port that the butterfly exposes that can dump too much fuel and 1/4 turn of the idle screw can make all of the difference.

I don't have a Weber but I have been tuning carbs on bikes for a very long time and the principles remain the same.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I need some help. It's my first post here. I have an '87 yj I'm restoring. It does need a lot of work and I'm kind of learning as I go. I've had some experience at this, but I'm a novice. I did change out the mechanical fuel pump because it wasn't getting gas. It still wouldn't start. Then I changed out the stock carb to a Weber. Now it gets gas and starts up but will only stay on if I'm on the throttle. If I let off, it bogs down and stalls with smoke coming from the air cleaner. Any suggestions, other than the timing, on what I should look for next? Thanks

You need to check for vacuum leaks first. You cannot have ANY. That will for sure cause what you are experiencing now and will need to be addressed before you can address things like timing and then idle mixture.

Top Bottom