WTF - 368 HP 2.0L Turbo I4 JL Wrangler??

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just read an article on TheTruthAboutCars.com and on it, they posted up a legitimate document that FCA submitted to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and in it, a few things were revealed about the engines that will be available in the all new Jeep JL Wrangler. The most interesting of which is that the 2.0L I4 motor will put out a whopping 368 horsepower compared to the wimpy 285 that the 3.6L V6 Pentastar offers! :shock:
20171005203053-0fa07c1a.jpg

The other thing the NHTSA document revealed is that the JL will initially be available in a 4-Door Sport, Sahara and Rubicon.
20171005203316-ad915717.jpg

You can read more about what is said in the article here:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/10/partial-next-wrangler-engine-specs-leaked/

So, with that said, what do you think about the 2.0L 4-Banner Turbo? :crazyeyes:

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I wonder what the reliability is going to be with the turbo withstanding water crossing and other non-standard road conditions....

'07 JKUR

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Definitely intrigued. It'd be a HUGE difference in HP from my 3.8. I might actually be able to pass someone on the freeway. How would the turbo do in off-road situations, say, for rock-crawling?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Doors-off

HP Correction

The wrangler 3.6L actually produces 285 HP, not the "wimpy 258" as posted... I think maybe the Wayalife just reversed the last two numbers accidentally. I am very interested in what kind of torque comparison there will be, and especially the kind of fuel economy improvements we will see using a 2.0L.

2012 JKUR.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The wrangler 3.6L actually produces 285 HP, not the "wimpy 258" as posted... I think maybe the Wayalife just reversed the last two numbers accidentally. I am very interested in what kind of torque comparison there will be, and especially the kind of fuel economy improvements we will see using a 2.0L.

2012 JKUR.

You are correct, I accidentally transposed the last 2 numbers. The chart I posted up clarified this and I have since corrected my post. Still, the difference is significant.

Diesel_Ranger

I imagine it feeling a lot like the small V6 "eco boost" motors that have been the f150's for a while. On the throttle it responds like a small block V8, when loaded or torque is required you are reminded that you have less than 3.0L of displacement. Have those had any longevity problems?

tengland

Sorry, I can't get behind a small engine that's turbocharged. In a sports car? Absolutely. On a trail? Sorry, I just don't see it. Epic Fail in my opinion...

Imatjen

I just stopped shopping for a great deal on a 2017 JK based on this news. For what I do, it sounds great. It needs to have enough torque though. My 13 jku is heavy even with all my aluminum adds. An aluminum body JL with a small 4 banger would be great on the rubicon trail!

tengland

I just stopped shopping for a great deal on a 2017 JK based on this news. For what I do, it sounds great. It needs to have enough torque though. My 13 jku is heavy even with all my aluminum adds. An aluminum body JL with a small 4 banger would be great on the rubicon trail!

The thing is, you need to really rev these things before the turbo boost even kicks in. To me it just seems awkward, and possibly even dangerous, to rely on turbo boosting to get over some obstacle.

But perhaps on desert dirt roads it could be cool...

Necro

The thing is, you need to really rev these things before the turbo boost even kicks in. To me it just seems awkward, and possibly even dangerous, to rely on turbo boosting to get over some obstacle.

But perhaps on desert dirt roads it could be cool...

In order for a 2.0 to produce those numbers either it has to be boosted to 20lbs or it needs to be spinning 12k rpms... either way it's not going to be something you want to do on a daily basis, let alone every time you accelerate from a light. Plus trying to wheel delicately while also keeping the turbo spooled up will be a challenge. It sounds really gimmicky to me, but I hope they pull it off though!

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
4.0 to 3.8 to 3.6 to 2.0?!?

Hey, Jeep! You are going the WRONG way... hopefully they ment SIX point oh...

Spooling ANY turbo in 4lo is going to be an issue... even with some sort of aggressive timming advance and a lot of noise... on the highway, sure! But I just don't see it happening on the trail without a heavy load on the engine... Time will tell though... I'll be sure to swing by my local jeep dealer and give one a test drive just for kicks though!

sent from SPACE!
DZZ Build thread

Last edited:

tengland

In order for a 2.0 to produce those numbers either it has to be boosted to 20lbs or it needs to be spinning 12k rpms... either way it's not going to be something you want to do on a daily basis, let alone every time you accelerate from a light. Plus trying to wheel delicately while also keeping the turbo spooled up will be a challenge. It sounds really gimmicky to me, but I hope they pull it off though!

I can't speak to the specific numbers you gave (20lbs or 12k rpms), but you are spot on otherwise. Wheeling delicately with a turbo is, dare I say, impossible.

This assumes that all jeeps are meant to crawl rocks though, and we know that's not the case. Cruising the mall with a turbo, or passing on the highway with a turbo, or even racing on long, graded dirt roads might be a good use for a turbo. But definitely not rocks. Or mud. Or sand.

Top Bottom