Tj Clutch Issue!

Rubi_the_jeep

Hey guys, first of all I want to say is hi again because I have been inactive for a couple of months! Anyways, I know this is a jk forum but I’m hoping that some guys here might have some knowledge of the problem that I’m having with my tj ‘windy’. For the past couple of weeks when I would press the clutch pedal to the floor it would make a rattling noise. The clutch sill shifted and engaged normally. Then, yesterday I was at a stop light and when I went to press the clutch in, it went half way in and then gave up. I had absolutely no pressure to the clutch at all. So we pushed it out of the intersection and I went to push the clutch in and it went half way in and would not go any further, it was rock hard (that’s what she said). And my friend the genius that he is forces the clutch to the floor and something poped and now there is no pressure at all. Completely loose. So I took off the slave cylinder and it was completely apart. I got everything that I thought was on the old cylinder out of the transmission casing. I put a new slave cylinder on and put fluid into the master cylinder and pumped the clutch a few times and clutch fluid was just leaking out of the front of the transmission casing where the dust cover is. I have no idea what the deal is now and I will probably take off the new slave cylinder to look and see what is up. Any knowledge of this would be very appreciated. You guys are awesome! Jeep on.

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
Sounds like there a lot of problems. Your input shaft seal sounds bad, probably bad connectors for the cylinder, and that rattling sounds like a bad throwout bearing.

Sent from my Life One X2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

madstiles

Sounds like your throw out bearing is bad and got stuck and trying to force it caused the slave cylinder to fail. You'll keep getting fluid leaking out until the bell housing until its empty you can spray some brake cleaner in there to help it a little bit clean it out anyways and then just watch your Reservoir and see if your Reservoir is going down if it were reservoirs going down there you have another leaking slave cylinder

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

PT1400

Yep, same as above. Throw out bearing is in pieces, cause the driver to push harder, causing the slave cylinder to go kaput. If you are doing it yourself it's time to park it. Slide the transmission back on thick ratchet straps, pull the clutch, and throw out bearing. Clean and inspect the clutch for damage. Replace the rear main seal (you're already in there and they're cheap), install a new throw out bearing, install the old (or new) clutch, re-install the transmission & t-case, and install the clutch hydraulics. I've always used the whole clutch master/slave cylinder assemblies. They're only a couple buck more than just one or the other and they're already bled.

Good luck.

Rubi_the_jeep

Yep, same as above. Throw out bearing is in pieces, cause the driver to push harder, causing the slave cylinder to go kaput. If you are doing it yourself it's time to park it. Slide the transmission back on thick ratchet straps, pull the clutch, and throw out bearing. Clean and inspect the clutch for damage. Replace the rear main seal (you're already in there and they're cheap), install a new throw out bearing, install the old (or new) clutch, re-install the transmission & t-case, and install the clutch hydraulics. I've always used the whole clutch master/slave cylinder assemblies. They're only a couple buck more than just one or the other and they're already bled.

Good luck.

Ugh I’m dropping it today. Thanks for your help! I bought a clutch kit. Just going to replace the whole thing while I’m in there. Wish me luck.

Top Bottom