What three Heck Causes This?

FallonJeeper

I bought a 6" suspension lift for my 1984 J-10, 7 years ago. Didn't have the space or time to install it, so I took it to a local offroad fab shop. The ride always seemed really stiff. Recently, while offloading, my left front shackle collapsed.
20170904_114641.jpg

I decided it was time to take the springs off and see what was going on. The vendor said "the spring looked bent but can't tell with it still installed". They also indicated the stiff ride may be due to the shackle bolt being over tightened.

So I got the springs off and found this, both sides front and rear. They weren't supposed to wear, ever. Also my springs are 2 1/2" wide while the frame mount and shackle are 2 7/8" wide inside.

Any body seen this, know what causes it?

I'm thinking it's the wobble from the extra space when turning.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Am I seeing right that the shackle is fully rotated up and stuck in that position - as in, the leaf spring is flattened out? If so, is there a chance one or more of the leafs is broken?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! Well that can't help. Hope you have a good air hammer because getting those bushings out without one is near impossible.

WJCO

Meme King
I spent some time working at a custom leaf spring shop and have never seen something like that. That bushing is shot. Was it new with the springs? While I do agree the shackle space is too wide for the spring, doesn't seem like it would cause that. When you took off the spring, was the center bolt in the bore on the spring perch on the axle? As in the spring hadn't shifted? And those indeed were the correct springs for the vehicle?

FallonJeeper

LOL!! Well that can't help. Hope you have a good air hammer because getting those bushings out without one is near impossible.
Actually ordered replacement springs because I thought they were stretched.

They have yet to arrive.

Not sure new bushings will help.

But I'll address this with the vendor before I install anything. If I get more of the same stuff, I'll get another set of springs from another vendor.

Last edited:

FallonJeeper

I sent the tech team photos. I'll see what they say. Don't want to bad mouth the vendor without giving them the chance to get this right.

And thanks for your replies.
You've confirmed my suspicions.

FallonJeeper

IMG_20171012_133057.jpeg

Replaced the springs, shocks and shackles so new bushings all the way around.

Vendor said the springs should have never been installed with that gap between the spring bushings and the spring hanger. That definitely was a major contributing factor to the early wear.

Initial test ride is still a bit stiff, but not nearly as stiff as before and no popping, loose steering or collapsing shackle.

I'll get a decent test at the Ultra4 Nationals next week when I'm doing race support/recovery.

Last edited:
Top Bottom