Zone Lift kit for TJ

Jranso04

I’m thinking about getting the zone off-road 3 inch lift and I was just curious about the lift’s on-road and off-road capabilities. It’s my DD and I don’t off-road that much but I do from time to time but I didn’t know if I should get the Zone or just try to save up and get a better lift like a Metalcloak or Currie.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I have a zone on my WJ. It's a basic starter kit and gets the job done, but it's nothing special. If I were to do it over again, I would save up and get something else. Shocks and control arm bushings didn't last long. I'm looking to switch out the springs for something different.

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
I have a zone on my WJ. It's a basic starter kit and gets the job done, but it's nothing special. If I were to do it over again, I would save up and get something else. Shocks and control arm bushings didn't last long. I'm looking to switch out the springs for something different.

What would you recommend? I’m thinking about the Currie 4” short arm until I can make the jump to a coil over.

I watched a guy get absolutely tortured on Facebook for saying the Metal Cloak lifts were junk. I remember the the bent tie rod that became the Metal Joke meme, and so I’m seriously wary of buying one. Frankly, there’s so much information out there that it can be a bit confusing.

WJCO

Meme King
What would you recommend? I’m thinking about the Currie 4” short arm until I can make the jump to a coil over.

I watched a guy get absolutely tortured on Facebook for saying the Metal Cloak lifts were junk. I remember the the bent tie rod that became the Metal Joke meme, and so I’m seriously wary of buying one. Frankly, there’s so much information out there that it can be a bit confusing.

I have always heard good things about Rancho. Here on the forum and from customers when I worked at shops that did lifts. Hopefully more TJ owners will chime in.

sm31

I went a slightly different route for my install. My jeep is a daily driver but I do off-road regularly. My priorities are going from point A to B on tough trails rather than trying bigger obstacles until something breaks. I may go to 35's someday (after some axle upgrades) but 33's are working well for me right now.

I went with the "TJ Ultimate Kit" from http://www.dpgoffroad.com . I've had it for 5 years and I could not be happier with the performance and the ride quality. It's a 2.5" suspension lift and a 1" body lift. I was worried about doing a body lift but it has some real advantages... if you ever plan to do a tummy tuck, and I've had no drivetrain issues whatsoever.

I've heard lots of conflicting reports about OME shocks, etc. but after all this time (and one theft) mine are better than ever. Dirk (the owner) delivers some of the best customer service in the industry. In fact, just give him a call. Most of his customers spend at least 30 minutes on the phone with him discussing their needs and preferences, and that is how he likes to do business.

Dirk really goes over the top. When my jeep was stolen I needed receipts for the work I had done to it. I've moved twice since the install, and that receipt was long gone. I emailed Dirk and got a scanned copy from his filing cabinet within 24 hours. I can't say enough about that guy... and I'm just as happy with the lift too.

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
I went a slightly different route for my install. My jeep is a daily driver but I do off-road regularly. My priorities are going from point A to B on tough trails rather than trying bigger obstacles until something breaks. I may go to 35's someday (after some axle upgrades) but 33's are working well for me right now.

I went with the "TJ Ultimate Kit" from http://www.dpgoffroad.com . I've had it for 5 years and I could not be happier with the performance and the ride quality. It's a 2.5" suspension lift and a 1" body lift. I was worried about doing a body lift but it has some real advantages... if you ever plan to do a tummy tuck, and I've had no drivetrain issues whatsoever.

I've heard lots of conflicting reports about OME shocks, etc. but after all this time (and one theft) mine are better than ever. Dirk (the owner) delivers some of the best customer service in the industry. In fact, just give him a call. Most of his customers spend at least 30 minutes on the phone with him discussing their needs and preferences, and that is how he likes to do business.

Dirk really goes over the top. When my jeep was stolen I needed receipts for the work I had done to it. I've moved twice since the install, and that receipt was long gone. I emailed Dirk and got a scanned copy from his filing cabinet within 24 hours. I can't say enough about that guy... and I'm just as happy with the lift too.

That’s great customer service, without a doubt.

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
I have always heard good things about Rancho. Here on the forum and from customers when I worked at shops that did lifts. Hopefully more TJ owners will chime in.

Well, the thing is that Eddie says a lot, it’s that many people buy junk not knowing what they’re getting, then defend to ridiculous lengths to say the junk they’ve bought is the best thing ever.

Eventually, regardless of whether it’s my TJ, or I move on to a JK or JL, I want to move on to a coil over suspension. In the meantime, I’m weighing the best options for a lift until I’m ready to go that route, and think I know that 4” of lift is the limit for a short arm kit. Kids in college is putting off some things, so I’m willing to go a different route than jumping into some serious coin for the coil over.

Last edited:
I was about to pull the trigger on a zone kit and found a better deal on a rough country. I know a few people running them. They're pretty much exactly what you pay for, same goes for my rough country.

Top Bottom