Get your damn flu shots!!!

longarmwj

Even if you think you're immune just get one. I get one every year but this year I decided not to.....

If you don't you'll end up like me, waking up with a 101.4 fever, chills, and aches.

This has been a public service announcement from Longarmwj

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
When our son was young and still living at home, we used to get sick all the time. Now that he's out of the house, we've been pretty lucky so far and for the most part, sick free. Damn kids and the schools they go to are a disease bank! :icon_crazy:

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Even if you think you're immune just get one. I get one every year but this year I decided not to.....

If you don't you'll end up like me, waking up with a 101.4 fever, chills, and aches.

This has been a public service announcement from Longarmwj

Agreed! Get the shot!! It's miserable. Hope you feel better soon. Stay home and don't infect your coworkers, friends and family!

Everyone (with a few possible exceptions) should get the shot to help protect the people around you too!

And yeah, the shot isn't 100% effective, but it's better that doing jack-shit-nothing!

WJCO

Meme King
Damn, Sorry to hear you went through that. I'm not big on shots and don't think I've ever had a flu shot. But either way, hope you get well soon.

Jackal01

It's been nearly 10 years for me since the last one and I got more sick while on it. Now maybe once a year I'll get a cold. The only shot I get is tetanus for work.

BobNH

When our son was young and still living at home, we used to get sick all the time. Now that he's out of the house, we've been pretty lucky so far and for the most part, sick free. Damn kids and the schools they go to are a disease bank! :icon_crazy:
Lol, so true. I tell my kids they're Outbreak monkeys.

To the OP, agreed. I never got the shot until three years in a row I was out of work for a week in February, totally floored with the flu. Been getting the shot the last three years now and so far so good. I get the flu this year, I'm blaming you for jinxing it, not the flu shot ;)

Sent from my SM-N910V using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
I've started getting the flu shot the last 2 years and only because it's part of the health care provider protocol now. If I don't then I have to wear a mask while treating someone. So far so good but if I did not have to get one I wouldn't. I don't typically worry about germs and usually only wash my hands: after using the restroom, preparing food for others, after eating, and working in the garage or yard. I figure exposing myself to all kinds of germs has kept me pretty sick free over the years. I've only been to the Dr once for a cold and that was because every time I coughed it felt like fire and razor blades. Other than that I tough it out and eat Vitamin-c and zinc. Seems to shorten the duration and is a fraction of the cost of Airborne, Emergen-C or Zicam.

SDG

Caught the Bug
So here is the deal with flu shots... I believe they generally take the 3 to 5 nastiest and most prolific strains of the current season, and then start pumping out the antibodies which I won't go into. But that process takes almost 6 months I believe. In the meantime the flu has gone down south to Australia, Africa, south america... then the virus migrates back to the northern hemisphere.

During this migration it can mutate, and when there is a sever mutation that's generally when people get super sick because the antibodies that defend against it may not pick it up in your system.

Now there is Flu A and Flu B. Flu B is only found in humans and is generally the more mild. Flu A flip flops around between humans, birds, and pigs. Since Flu A can go between species it tends to get bigger mutations... it can jump into birds, mutate and then infect people (bird flu) or go to pigs and then jump back to people (swine flu). With the big interspecies mutations the flu shot can be much less effective, but depends what variety you get as there are usually 5+ different active viruses in circulation.

So really it's all an odds game on what all has changed and what you are exposed to vs what you were immunized against.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
So here is the deal with flu shots... I believe they generally take the 3 to 5 nastiest and most prolific strains of the current season, and then start pumping out the antibodies which I won't go into. But that process takes almost 6 months I believe. In the meantime the flu has gone down south to Australia, Africa, south america... then the virus migrates back to the northern hemisphere.

During this migration it can mutate, and when there is a sever mutation that's generally when people get super sick because the antibodies that defend against it may not pick it up in your system.

Now there is Flu A and Flu B. Flu B is only found in humans and is generally the more mild. Flu A flip flops around between humans, birds, and pigs. Since Flu A can go between species it tends to get bigger mutations... it can jump into birds, mutate and then infect people (bird flu) or go to pigs and then jump back to people (swine flu). With the big interspecies mutations the flu shot can be much less effective, but depends what variety you get as there are usually 5+ different active viruses in circulation.

So really it's all an odds game on what all has changed and what you are exposed to vs what you were immunized against.

What are you, some kind of scientist or something?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS

Hooked
I figure exposing myself to all kinds of germs has kept me pretty sick free over the years. I've only been to the Dr once and that was because every time I pee'd it felt like fire and razor blades.

Fixed it for you...

You sure that was the "flu?" [emoji23][emoji23]

Thanks Bill Nye. [emoji6] Good stuff.

Since I have kids, I generally get the flu shot along with wife and kids.

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
Yeah agreed! I swear our daughter was sick all the time when she was a newborn up until recently and she's for now! And of course every time she got sick it seems like inevitably we got sick too. Damn day care and schools

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

MTG

Caught the Bug
Ahh yes the good ol' "did you/you should get your flu shot" time of the year. I love being lectured to by pseudo-physicians and societal-do-gooders.

scull20

My fiancé is a 3rd grade teacher...those damn kids are a cesspools of filth and disease! I've instituted daily pressure washings prior to her entering the house.

On the note of flu shots, I've never gotten one...not that I'm for or against it either way. Been lucky thus far I suppose.

Top Bottom