Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Can anyone help me identify this noise coming from the clutch????

  1. #1
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    phx
    Posts
    11

    Can anyone help me identify this noise coming from the clutch????

    The noise only happens when stopped and in gear with clutch depressed. Once the jeep starts moving the noise stops.



  2. #2
    Been Around the Block FallonJeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Fallon, NV
    Posts
    339
    I would say throw out bearing, if it did it all the time when the Clutch is depressed. Is the clutch fully disengaged when you depress the clutch pedal to the floor?

    Only when stopped leads me to think the clutch may not be disengaging totally.

    I'm unfamiliar with that clutch system. Is there an adjustment? Hopefully somebody with more knowledge on this particular clutch system will provide some details.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Last edited by FallonJeeper; 10-11-2017 at 01:52 AM.

  3. #3
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    phx
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by FallonJeeper View Post
    I would say throw out bearing, if it did it all the time when the Clutch is depressed. Is the clutch fully disengaged when you depress the clutch pedal to the floor?

    Only when stopped leads me to think the clutch may not be disengaging totally.

    I'm unfamiliar with that clutch system. Is there an adjustment? Hopefully somebody with more knowledge on this particular clutch system will provide some details.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app
    I just replaced the throw out bearing about 20,xxx miles ago. That noise was more of a squeaking than the noise it's making now. I wonder is one of the springs might have broke???

  4. #4
    Caught the Bug ZachJKUR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Dubuque, Iowa
    Posts
    50
    If its still the original clutch and pressure plate, there's probably a good chance that the springs are starting to drag on the flywheel when they're not totally locked together yet...which would make sense as to why the noise goes away once youre up to speed.

    Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

  5. #5
    Been Around the Block FallonJeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Fallon, NV
    Posts
    339
    Yeah it sounds like something is dragging. Could be a spring. Only way to really know is to pull the transmission back.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

  6. #6
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    phx
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by ZachJKUR View Post
    If its still the original clutch and pressure plate, there's probably a good chance that the springs are starting to drag on the flywheel when they're not totally locked together yet...which would make sense as to why the noise goes away once youre up to speed.

    Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app
    When it happened I was exiting the highway and came to a stop light on the road. The jeep didn't want to go in gear, I had to force in it, that's when the noise started. The jeep has been parked since it happened. Just trying to get some info before getting parts...

  7. #7
    Caught the Bug ZachJKUR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Dubuque, Iowa
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by cone99 View Post
    When it happened I was exiting the highway and came to a stop light on the road. The jeep didn't want to go in gear, I had to force in it, that's when the noise started. The jeep has been parked since it happened. Just trying to get some info before getting parts...
    Well if it was from a stop and the clutch was engaged, the only things that would keep it from going in to gear are either the clutch spring is shot (and the pressure plate is dragging and thus the clutch is actually still engaged, even with the pedal depressed), the clutch hydraulics are going and thus clutch was actually catching ( and slipping) or a synchro is shredded. My bet would be the clutch disk/pressure plate is coming apart and catching. How many miles are on it?

  8. #8
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    phx
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by ZachJKUR View Post
    Well if it was from a stop and the clutch was engaged, the only things that would keep it from going in to gear are either the clutch spring is shot (and the pressure plate is dragging and thus the clutch is actually still engaged, even with the pedal depressed), the clutch hydraulics are going and thus clutch was actually catching ( and slipping) or a synchro is shredded. My bet would be the clutch disk/pressure plate is coming apart and catching. How many miles are on it?
    118,xxx miles on the jeep; Its more than likely toast... I thought maybe there would have been more sighs to it starting to fail, like it slipping or more chatter while driving. Now on to the next step... Looking for a new clutch... OEM or aftermarket???

  9. #9
    Been Around the Block FallonJeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Fallon, NV
    Posts
    339
    Didn't you say you replaced the throw out bearing 20,000 miles ago? Why not the clutch and pressure plate and resurface the fly wheel?

    Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Similar Threads

  1. Transmission/Clutch Noise, any help?
    By Fuhaxian in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-04-2017, 02:41 PM
  2. Clutch Creaking Noise (Video)
    By eazy in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-23-2017, 06:16 PM
  3. Clutch noise
    By QuicksilverJK in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-20-2017, 02:52 AM
  4. CLUTCH - Weird noise on pedal
    By BenJKWrangler15 in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-16-2016, 09:17 AM
  5. Rattling noise when clutch is let out
    By Ant's JK in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-04-2014, 01:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
“wayoflife” is a moniker that I’ve been using for 20 years now and I chose it because I think it does a great job of explaining, in simple terms, the passion I have for Jeeps and the Jeep way of life. This is a lifestyle that transcends age, gender and race as the only thing you need to be a part of it is a love for the outdoors, a desire to explore, a yearning to take on a challenge and a will to conquer it. Over the years, Cindy and I have attempted to capture the essence of this lifestyle through photographs and videos and share it with others around the world. And, this is how WAYALIFE was born.
Join us
WATCH OUR VIDEOS