Formation Aerobatic Clinic Highlights

JohnK

Two of my flying buddies and I have been working with a mentor/coach from the UK who has 20 years of display flying experience. He is also a pilot for British Airways and is able to jump over to San Diego frequently as part of his normal schedule bids.

I typically fly lead since I have a more aerobatic focus then the rest of the guys but recently worked on transitioning to flying loops on the wing. We have been taking a very methodical building block approach, clearing each figure with our mentor flying safety pilot until we can demonstrate the maneuver safely - this has been an amazing experience.

This video captures the highlights from our clinic last weekend, which is also the last bit of flying I get to do for a while, I had ACL reconstruction surgery today and will be out of the cockpit for a bit.

The first two segments are me flying wing, I am now cleared to practice these without a safety pilot. Third segment is flying line abreast, the red plane in the center is lead - this is really difficult since we lose the triangulation visual references we normally use, and is tough on the neck, but cool when it works out.

The last segment is 2 minutes of sublime where everything just jelled and we completed a 4 figure sequence where the guys were in show-quality position through the entire sequence - literally a fantastic way to cap off the weekend.

Tip in is to give view of airspace and build some smash, looking for 196 mph minimum, figure 1 is a quarter-clover up, second figure is quarter-clover down, 3rd figure is high-energy wingover, and fourth figure is a vanilla loop. I made a roll/rudder error in the loop entry but the guys hung in there.

Hope you enjoy.

JK

Top Bottom