Still vibrating at 45mph help

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Just to recap, my vibrations started after regearing to 4.88. The steering wheel starts vibrating at 45mph then goes away at 50. My jeep is starting to shake now after 60mph. I've relebalanced the tires and tightened everything underneath. Took my front DS off but seems like it's worse. Any other thoughts? Never had a single problem until the regear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Was a new yoke installed? Someone recently had something similar where a new yoke was installed and had some runout. And I'm assuming you have no play at either pinion? As in you can't rock the pinion up or down or in or out? And driveshaft bolts tight?

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I would start with what both of these guys said ^^^

I need to rebalance my drive shafts as well soon, I am starting to get slight vibration at highway speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you took off the front shaft and you still have vibrations, re-install it and remove the rear to see if it goes away. If it doesn't, I would do what WJCO and have the yoke checked for run out.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Was a new yoke installed? Someone recently had something similar where a new yoke was installed and had some runout. And I'm assuming you have no play at either pinion? As in you can't rock the pinion up or down or in or out? And driveshaft bolts tight?
No new yoke but I was thinking that was the issue due to one of the bolts being sheared off so it only has 3 of the 4. All 3 bolts However were torqued to spec. The front flange on the front DS does have some play. It doesn't move up or down but I can move it 1/8 inch left/right.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
If you took off the front shaft and you still have vibrations, re-install it and remove the rear to see if it goes away. If it doesn't, I would do what WJCO and have the yoke checked for run out.
Okay. I'll put the front back on tonight and remove the rear. Do I just need to drive in 4lo without the rear in?

WJCO

Meme King
The front flange on the front DS does have some play. It doesn't move up or down but I can move it 1/8 inch left/right.

That's likely the issue. Post a short video if you can of what you're seeing there. Do you mean you can rotate it 1/8" in regards to feeling gear backlash or you mean it has play like you can rock it left and right ?

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
That's likely the issue. Post a short video if you can of what you're seeing there. Do you mean you can rotate it 1/8" in regards to feeling gear backlash or you mean it has play like you can rock it left and right ?
I can rock it left to right. I'll try to get a video later

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Pulled the rear DS and took a test drive tonight. Vibrations are noticeably less but still shakes a little bit. Going to take it in tomorrow to rebalance both DS like yall suggested and hopefully that will fix it.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
did you pull the front DS once before? if so, any chance it separated while you had it out?
I took it out first before pulling the rear. Forgive my greenness but I'm not sure what separation means in relation to the DS. I marked and lined up the end when putting it back in on the U joint side.

jeeeep

Hooked
I took it out first before pulling the rear. Forgive my greenness but I'm not sure what separation means in relation to the DS. I marked and lined up the end when putting it back in on the U joint side.

did the DS come apart into its 2 halves when you had it out?

there should be alignment marks on each half of the DS (may be punch marks) that show how the 2 -halves lineup. The manufacturer marks them to orient it once it's balanced.

Post #4 shows the witness marks

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/48490-Vibrations-front-drive-shaft

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
did the DS come apart into its 2 halves when you had it out?

there should be alignment marks on each half of the DS (may be punch marks) that show how the 2 -halves lineup. The manufacturer marks them to orient it once it's balanced.

Post #4 shows the witness marks

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/48490-Vibrations-front-drive-shaft
I'm still running the stock DS. I don't see where it would separate unless that's what is under the boot?

jeeeep

Hooked
I'm still running the stock DS. I don't see where it would separate unless that's what is under the boot?

ah ok, the stock DS is a single piece. With the 2.5" lift it may be enough to wear the bearings out on the stock repezza joint.

while there are rebuild kits available, IMO the stock DS is not worth repairing or spending money on a rebalance.

You'll be better off getting an after-market double cardan drive shaft. It'll be able to handle the articulation angles better as well.

Before you do anything DS related, have you checked the caster angle? you should be at stock angle or real close to it with the 2.5" lift.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...nt-End-Alignment?p=42391&viewfull=1#post42391

when you had the DS off did you happen to move the ends around to feel for any binding or grinding - indicators of worn bearings in the repezza joint

Top Bottom