What air pressure do you go to?

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
With my recent experience losing two tires, partially because I had my pressure down to about 8 lbs... that and the rock!
I'm curious what pressure people air down to.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For easier trails or for bombing across the desert, I like to be running about 16-18 psi. Enough to soften things up but not so much where sidewall flex becomes or damage like you had becomes a concern. On harder trails were I more traction is needed, 8-10 psi seems to do well for me. In really soft conditions like snow, I'll drop down as low as 4 if needed. Of course, this is something you can only really do if you have bead locks.

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
For the most part I usually run 15, Since this was the first time running beadlocks I went down to 8. Also I live in the mountains and I'll be interested in how well low pressure does in the snow and ice this winter. I was mostly curious what other people run in various conditions.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For the most part I usually run 15, Since this was the first time running beadlocks I went down to 8. Also I live in the mountains and I'll be interested in how well low pressure does in the snow and ice this winter. I was mostly curious what other people run in various conditions.

Just because you can doesn't always mean that you need to or even should. For a trail like Miller, I wouldn't bother going down that low.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I can’t add much to what Eddie said, but if I were flying in the blind on it, I’d keep as much air as possible, as long as I were still getting decent traction.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Gbint

Notnalc68 nailed it. Keep as much for comfort and traction. Remember, the bigger the tire the less pressure as you have more air volume. Monster trucks run 4-6 psi a small utility trailer tire runs about 60.

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
I have my stauns set for 8-9 PSI. I usually monitor the TPMS gauge and will take them off when they hit 12-14 if I don’t plan to do hard wheeling. Mainly cause I don’t feel like it taking forever to sit back up. 90% of the time I’m rock crawling and enjoy the traction it gives me.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Just because you can doesn't always mean that you need to or even should. For a trail like Miller, I wouldn't bother going down that low.

Exactly. For runs such as the kick off run you were on, I was running about 17 even though I have beadlocks. When it’s slow going in the rocks I’ll drop to 8 or 6. Match your pressure to what you’re doing. No one wants to bomb across the desert of 4 psi if you catch my drift.

farrier

On our jeep seeing as it's only a TJ with 15's we go down at the lowest to 15, no bead locks and c rated tires 15 psi is real squishy plus with the coopers they are sticky enough I've had no issues other than to much traction at times lol, short wheelbase joke there, the run we just did with Eddie and the gang we did at 20 lbs which kept our tires on the rims chasing Eddie when he sped up a bit in the hoopties

Brute

Hooked
On my Brute with new 37 Toyo MT's on beadlocks, I run at 10 on trails, 6 for sand and 4 for snow...now that the tires are older, I add about two psi to everything...

On the JK6, the Baja KR2's sidewalls are a bit stiff, so I run 8-10 for the rocks and 3 for snow...I haven't gotten into the dunes with it yet, but will this year

WJCO

Meme King
...the lowest to 15, no bead locks and c rated tires 15 psi is real squishy plus with the coopers they are sticky enough I've had no issues other than to much traction at times lol, short wheelbase joke there, the run we just did with Eddie and the gang we did at 20 lbs which kept our tires on the rims chasing Eddie when he sped up a bit in the hoopties

I was just going to post something like this. I typically go down to 15, however with the stt pros (which I see that the OP has), I've found these things to perform just as well at 20 psi. The sidewalls are soft and these things just stick to the rocks. Ran a trail this summer and one of the guys pointed out that my tire was flat and it sure looked like it too. Checked it and it was at 15 psi.

This picture doesn't show it well with the glare, but this was it.

DSC06853.jpg

Last edited:

Sahara_Maverick

35 BFG KO on the 17in original 2007 aluminum rims here.

On snow I go down to 10psi and works fine for me.

On other trails with rocks, mud and other stuff I keep around 15psi.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
I was just going to post something like this. I typically go down to 15, however with the stt pros (which I see that the OP has), I've found these things to perform just as well at 20 psi. The sidewalls are soft and these things just stick to the rocks. Ran a trail this summer and one of the guys pointed out that my tire was flat and it sure looked like it too. Checked it and it was at 15 psi.

This picture doesn't show it well with the glare, but this was it.

View attachment 290425

So far, I love the STT Pro's, like you said, they just stick to rocks:clap2:

Top Bottom