Siesta Key to Moab...

Kapica

Okay everyone! This June I will be doing a road trip to Moab with my local jeep friends... we live in Sarasota Fl and will be traveling across country in our jeeps for a 16 day long excursion. Plan is to allow 3 days there and 3 days back home. Leaving us with 10 days of fun. The big question is... as first timers... what trails should we look at hitting first!? (We all run 35s) thanks! IMG_2830.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'd recommend Fins-n-Things followed by Hell's Revenge. They are both in the same park, relatively easy, have plenty of spook factor and will give you a good taste of what slick rock is all about. Of course, the views are pretty amazing too. From there, you can't go wrong with Top of the World, 7 Mile Rim, Kane Creek and Poison Spider Mesa. I would also take some time to visit Arches National Monument and come in from the back way on the Klondike Bluffs Trail. Be sure to hike up to the Delicate Arch too.

Ddays

Hooked
Regardless of what advice you get on what trails to do, you need to get this book as well. It's pretty much indispensable. This is marked as 2nd edition - there are newer ones out there. Check it out on Amazon.

Wells.jpg

Edit: Advice from one Fucking East Coaster to another, and this is no bullshit, you are going to encounter shelf roads out there that may scare the living shit out of you. Be prepared if anyone in your group is afraid of heights. Even ones that are easy, like the trail climbing up to to Gemini Bridges will have your ass grabbing the seat cushions. Some of highways have drop-offs that will give you pause as well. After you've driven around a day or so you start to get used to it all and by the time you're ready to leave it's like no biggie at all. Its just getting comfortable at first that may have you edgy

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Regardless of what advice you get on what trails to do, you need to get this book as well. It's pretty much indispensable. This is marked as 2nd edition - there are newer ones out there. Check it out on Amazon.

This ^^^ is pretty much a must for first timers :yup:

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
I'd recommend Fins-n-Things followed by Hell's Revenge. They are both in the same park, relatively easy, have plenty of spook factor and will give you a good taste of what slick rock is all about. Of course, the views are pretty amazing too. From there, you can't go wrong with Top of the World, 7 Mile Rim, Kane Creek and Poison Spider Mesa. I would also take some time to visit Arches National Monument and come in from the back way on the Klondike Bluffs Trail. Be sure to hike up to the Delicate Arch too.

You should sticky this paragraph as a template for the first time Moab visitor with a modified Jeep! All excellent choices that give a person the perfect mix of Moab terrain.

Happy Camper

Off the topic of trails, what about lodging? Food? When to go, when not to. EJS seems like a good time for newbies as guides are with you, but it also seems like it'd be a shit show, with hive crowds and testy locals. Advice?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Off the topic of trails, what about lodging? Food? When to go, when not to. EJS seems like a good time for newbies as guides are with you, but it also seems like it'd be a shit show, with hive crowds and testy locals. Advice?

Late Spring or early Fall is the best time to be in Moab. EJS is a good time to go as a newbie as you can run the trails with the Red Rock guys and they will ensure you have a safe and good time. It can be really crowded but the Red Rockers own the trails during that week and so you won't have to worry about what you can and can't run. If you're by yourself or in a small group, lodging and food won't be a problem. Tons of hotels are in the area as well as camping. If you're with friends, you can always rent a condo - this is what we always do. There are plenty of good restaurants in town that can accommodate a lot of people and there are also a couple of markets you can buy supplies from.

desertrunner

My first trip out I stayed at the super 8 hotel during EJS because it was so crowded and even that was like $150/night. My last trip out though we stayed at a rental house from VRBO or AirB&B and that was awesome way better than a hotel and you have a garage to put tops and doors etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Exodus 4x4

View attachment 279462

Edit: Advice from one Fucking East Coaster to another, and this is no bullshit, you are going to encounter shelf roads out there that may scare the living shit out of you. Be prepared if anyone in your group is afraid of heights. Even ones that are easy, like the trail climbing up to to Gemini Bridges will have your ass grabbing the seat cushions. Some of highways have drop-offs that will give you pause as well. After you've driven around a day or so you start to get used to it all and by the time you're ready to leave it's like no biggie at all. Its just getting comfortable at first that may have you edgy

We just got back from there and I used that book as well. It’s really great at giving you landmarks and run times, just don’t forget to reset your odometer if you follow the book!

It’s not just an East Coast thing, lol. It’s crazy what the slick rock will allow you to get into sometimes but you get used to it. Sadly just as I was getting used to it, we were done and heading out.

Exodus 4x4

Oh and if you run Poison Spider, stay on Poison Spider! We underestimated how long it would take to run Gold Bar and then one thing led to another and we ended up running Rusty Nail backwards. Fuck that trail!
It can definitely be done but you but you shouldn’t fuck around getting out to Gold Bar, especially if you have a good size group. At least that’s the experience we had.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh and if you run Poison Spider, stay on Poison Spider! We underestimated how long it would take to run Gold Bar and then one thing led to another and we ended up running Rusty Nail backwards. Fuck that trail!
It can definitely be done but you but you shouldn’t fuck around getting out to Gold Bar, especially if you have a good size group. At least that’s the experience we had.

LOL! Yeah, Triple Threat with a Rusty Nail ending - that had to be interesting :cheesy:

Exodus 4x4

LOL! Yeah, Triple Threat with a Rusty Nail ending - that had to be interesting :cheesy:

Lol, needless to say we were all “over it” by the time we actually got to rusty nail but there was no turning back at that point. I was just so thankful nobody broke anything, and that we only had 5 total rigs that day. To top it off it had been raining most of the morning and at “no left turn” there was a group of side by sides spectators.[emoji849]

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Lol, needless to say we were all “over it” by the time we actually got to rusty nail but there was no turning back at that point. I was just so thankful nobody broke anything, and that we only had 5 total rigs that day. To top it off it had been raining most of the morning and at “no left turn” there was a group of side by sides spectators.[emoji849]

In other words, rain slicked No Left Turn and a host of people telling you what to do :cheesy:

Kilroy

We just got back from there and I used that book as well. It’s really great at giving you landmarks and run times, just don’t forget to reset your odometer if you follow the book!

It’s not just an East Coast thing, lol. It’s crazy what the slick rock will allow you to get into sometimes but you get used to it. Sadly just as I was getting used to it, we were done and heading out.

[emoji848]

DaJudge

Everything wayoflife has said is spot on! (not a surprise) I will second the recommendation to spend time in Arches NP. There is also a trail in the park that goes out to Tower Arch. It is fun and a great intro to Utah style wheeling. I moved out here from FL so I can tell you it is MASSIVELY different. The first trail I ran was the one to Tower Arch and I thought I had really done something....then I ran some of the other trails! :D
Some of my favorites:
Fins-N-Things
Top of the world
Poison Spider Mesa
7 Mile Rim
Hells Revenge

Take your time and enjoy the sites!

Last edited:
Top Bottom