Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Siesta Key to Moab...

  1. #11
    Nothing but a Thing desertrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Great Falls, MT
    Posts
    1,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post
    Off the topic of trails, what about lodging? Food? When to go, when not to. EJS seems like a good time for newbies as guides are with you, but it also seems like it'd be a shit show, with hive crowds and testy locals. Advice?
    My first trip out I stayed at the super 8 hotel during EJS because it was so crowded and even that was like $150/night. My last trip out though we stayed at a rental house from VRBO or AirB&B and that was awesome way better than a hotel and you have a garage to put tops and doors etc.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app
    12' 2dr Gecko Sport 6 speed
    Cooper Stt Pro 295/70/17 ATX 195 17x9, 4Dr Rubi suspension, Rubi Swaybar w/EVO manual no limits, Rubi T case, EVO 1/4lb, Warn Powerplant 9.5

    ***SOLD*** 08' JKU Rubicon 6-speed Stone White, 3.5" RK lift, 37" KM2s and lots more.
    ***CURRENT DD*** 16' Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road 6 speed

  2. #12
    Advertiser Exodus Jeeps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post
    Regardless of what advice you get on what trails to do, you need to get this book as well. It's pretty much indispensable. This is marked as 2nd edition - there are newer ones out there. Check it out on Amazon.

    Attachment 279462

    Edit: Advice from one Fucking East Coaster to another, and this is no bullshit, you are going to encounter shelf roads out there that may scare the living shit out of you. Be prepared if anyone in your group is afraid of heights. Even ones that are easy, like the trail climbing up to to Gemini Bridges will have your ass grabbing the seat cushions. Some of highways have drop-offs that will give you pause as well. After you've driven around a day or so you start to get used to it all and by the time you're ready to leave it's like no biggie at all. Its just getting comfortable at first that may have you edgy
    We just got back from there and I used that book as well. It’s really great at giving you landmarks and run times, just don’t forget to reset your odometer if you follow the book!

    It’s not just an East Coast thing, lol. It’s crazy what the slick rock will allow you to get into sometimes but you get used to it. Sadly just as I was getting used to it, we were done and heading out.




    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  3. #13
    Fresh Catch Happy Camper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    US
    Posts
    21
    Thanks. That's a help.

  4. #14
    Advertiser Exodus Jeeps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,575
    Oh and if you run Poison Spider, stay on Poison Spider! We underestimated how long it would take to run Gold Bar and then one thing led to another and we ended up running Rusty Nail backwards. Fuck that trail!
    It can definitely be done but you but you shouldn’t fuck around getting out to Gold Bar, especially if you have a good size group. At least that’s the experience we had.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  5. #15
    Administrator wayoflife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Carson City, NV
    Posts
    42,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus Jeeps View Post
    Oh and if you run Poison Spider, stay on Poison Spider! We underestimated how long it would take to run Gold Bar and then one thing led to another and we ended up running Rusty Nail backwards. Fuck that trail!
    It can definitely be done but you but you shouldn’t fuck around getting out to Gold Bar, especially if you have a good size group. At least that’s the experience we had.
    LOL! Yeah, Triple Threat with a Rusty Nail ending - that had to be interesting

  6. #16
    Advertiser Exodus Jeeps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,575
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    LOL! Yeah, Triple Threat with a Rusty Nail ending - that had to be interesting
    Lol, needless to say we were all “over it” by the time we actually got to rusty nail but there was no turning back at that point. I was just so thankful nobody broke anything, and that we only had 5 total rigs that day. To top it off it had been raining most of the morning and at “no left turn” there was a group of side by sides spectators.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  7. #17
    Administrator wayoflife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Carson City, NV
    Posts
    42,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus Jeeps View Post
    Lol, needless to say we were all “over it” by the time we actually got to rusty nail but there was no turning back at that point. I was just so thankful nobody broke anything, and that we only had 5 total rigs that day. To top it off it had been raining most of the morning and at “no left turn” there was a group of side by sides spectators.
    In other words, rain slicked No Left Turn and a host of people telling you what to do

  8. #18
    Hooked Kilroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus Jeeps View Post
    We just got back from there and I used that book as well. It’s really great at giving you landmarks and run times, just don’t forget to reset your odometer if you follow the book!

    It’s not just an East Coast thing, lol. It’s crazy what the slick rock will allow you to get into sometimes but you get used to it. Sadly just as I was getting used to it, we were done and heading out.




    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app



    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  9. #19
    Hooked Romac2223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Houston,Tx
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post



    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Who needs a winch!!! Lol


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  10. #20
    Caught the Bug DaJudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    53
    Everything wayoflife has said is spot on! (not a surprise) I will second the recommendation to spend time in Arches NP. There is also a trail in the park that goes out to Tower Arch. It is fun and a great intro to Utah style wheeling. I moved out here from FL so I can tell you it is MASSIVELY different. The first trail I ran was the one to Tower Arch and I thought I had really done something....then I ran some of the other trails!
    Some of my favorites:
    Fins-N-Things
    Top of the world
    Poison Spider Mesa
    7 Mile Rim
    Hells Revenge

    Take your time and enjoy the sites!
    Last edited by DaJudge; 10-13-2017 at 06:12 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-12-2015, 01:30 PM
  2. From NY to Moab East coast pilgrimage to Moab 2014
    By mrmet1983 in forum Destinations & Beyond
    Replies: 229
    Last Post: 08-08-2014, 03:07 AM
  3. Moab May 5-15
    By Hatewagon in forum Upcoming Trips & Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2014, 12:26 PM
  4. Must see's in Moab / First time In Moab reccomendations?
    By Ctowns in forum Destinations & Beyond
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-10-2013, 07:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
“wayoflife” is a moniker that I’ve been using for 20 years now and I chose it because I think it does a great job of explaining, in simple terms, the passion I have for Jeeps and the Jeep way of life. This is a lifestyle that transcends age, gender and race as the only thing you need to be a part of it is a love for the outdoors, a desire to explore, a yearning to take on a challenge and a will to conquer it. Over the years, Cindy and I have attempted to capture the essence of this lifestyle through photographs and videos and share it with others around the world. And, this is how WAYALIFE was born.
Join us
WATCH OUR VIDEOS