Tire pressures for new Duratracs

sm31

Just installed my new studded Duratracs over the weekend in preparation for the Alaska winter... What pressures are people running these at? I'm having a tough time getting the shoulder to reach the pavement (33 x 12.50 on 15 x 8 rims). I'm not sure whether the tire is designed to work that way but I'd like it to if possible since there are a number of studs that are not making contact with the ground. I'm currently sitting at about 31 psi. With my MTR-K's installed I run about 23 psi but the sidewalls are noticeably thicker on these tires. Even at over 30 psi there is noticeably more "wallow" with the Duratracs. Some of that may be due to the new tread blocks but the MTR-K's don't have that many miles on them, so they are somewhat comparable.

Thanks!

mule

I do not know if the studded Duratrac will be different than the non-studded tires, but I run my duratrac's at about 27 psi, daily. But I have a 2 door JK with no fancy armor. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
All depends on how heavy your Jeep is. Around 28-30 psi sounds about right but doing a chalk test should help you to know what to run and get you nice and square.

sm31

Thanks everyone!! Sounds like I just need to reduce pressures. My rig is fairly lightweight & I've been trying to keep it that way. I was mainly concerned that I could feel a good bit of sidewall flex compared to my MTR-K's, even at several psi more pressure. I'll go ahead and bump down to 27 psi and see how it goes. Here is a pic of the tire.

Edit: I'm guessing the 8" wheel is having an effect compared to wider options...

Attachments

• 20171010_163823.jpg
    20171010_163823.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 81

sm31

Update: 27 psi seems to be the ticket for a lightweight rig like mine... maybe even lower once the snow comes in good, so the studs on the edges get some bite.

Top Bottom