Rear seat won’t tumble

EricInUtah

At least one of the latches on my rear seat won’t release for it to tumble forward. It has been this way since I bought it (used). I’m not familiar enough with the mechanism to try and release it manually as I can’t see under the seat to see how it is configured. Is it possible to get under the seat with a wire or something and release it? Is it possible to adjust the wires on the sides to tighten them?

eb337b697cbd9b116ef7f17c198d277c.jpg

c8ce438d609b4b0d045c9ac9d41771c2.jpg

JKbrick

At least one of the latches on my rear seat won’t release for it to tumble forward. It has been this way since I bought it (used). I’m not familiar enough with the mechanism to try and release it manually as I can’t see under the seat to see how it is configured. Is it possible to get under the seat with a wire or something and release it? Is it possible to adjust the wires on the sides to tighten them?

eb337b697cbd9b116ef7f17c198d277c.jpg

c8ce438d609b4b0d045c9ac9d41771c2.jpg

Make sure it is latched to the floor properly, I bought mine used and couldn’t get the seat out and that was the problem

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

EricInUtah

Make sure it is latched to the floor properly, I bought mine used and couldn’t get the seat out and that was the problem

I’m not sure how to do that without being able to flip the seat forward and access the connection points. It is very secure to the floor. Maybe if someone has time and could post a shot of how it connects to the floor and what the connectors on the seats look like I might be able to figure out how to manually release it.

JKbrick

I’m not sure how to do that without being able to flip the seat forward and access the connection points. It is very secure to the floor. Maybe if someone has time and could post a shot of how it connects to the floor and what the connectors on the seats look like I might be able to figure out how to manually release it.

I’ll post a pic, I had to put my shoulder into mine and piledrive it to knock it loose, then put it back in properly and it’s been fine ever since. I think since yours folds down it is probably not those cables, but I don’t know for sure

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

nbunga

Caught the Bug
In the hinge area on both sides (area in pointing to)there are two cables that release the rear latches when the back folds forward. Might be able to release them manually.

IMG_0466.jpg IMG_0464.jpg IMG_0465.jpg Image1508017873.996097.jpg

EricInUtah

In that picture looks like you can unzip the seat cover to get to the insides.

I have unzipped the back which allows a little more access. I’ve been tinkering with it on and off all day. If I could get a better grip on the cable I might be able to release it. I may see if I can get a more specialized pair of needle nose to get at it better.

CharlesC

I have unzipped the back which allows a little more access. I’ve been tinkering with it on and off all day. If I could get a better grip on the cable I might be able to release it. I may see if I can get a more specialized pair of needle nose to get at it better.

Needle nose vise grips[emoji106]

cmireles

I had this problem and tackled it last summer. The cable is welded to a small rod that connects to the latching mechanism, and in my case the rod snapped. You can unzip the seat and pull some of the foam away for better access. Since I had no cable to pull on I fed a keychain ring through the leftover hole and yanked on that. Once you have the latch free the rest of the seat should tumble.

As for the broken latch, you can try and fix whatever part is broken or fetch a new part from the dealer. Only deal is, you have to buy the whole rear latching assembly I believe. I said screw that and just Unbolted the broken latch from the chair and have been running with the chair on 3 latches ever since. Doesn’t make a difference for the chair

Randy Tadevich

Mine was really bad to. I had to remove them to install and paint adter the roll cage install. Before doing so i clean up all the rotating parts from the dust and sprayed some dry lube on all movable parts. Reinstalled the seats and everything works fine. Try just dry lubbing all those areas and things could slide easier. Its worth a shot.

Sent from my SM-J320V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Whitarmy

I know this is an older thread, but since I tackled this I figured I’d give my 2 cents Incase someone searches for it in the future. I had one release cable that had stretched and wouldn’t let the seat tumble. I had to unbolt the seat at the hinges and yank up on it until the latches released. I then replaced the cables for $15 each from jeep and all problems were solved.

Top Bottom