Resevoir Shocks Vs Monotube - And Fox Resi Vs Bilstein 5160 - Tuned Kits?

Meety Peety

Hey guys. I currently have a set of Bilstein 5100s on my 2012 JK and it is time for new ones. I have been mostly happy with these. Aside from being a bit stiff, I really don't have much to complain about. Driving down a washboard dirt road is particularly bad, you really feel every single bump. I'm not sure how much different shocks would help with that particular issue.. I could live with it if need be. Alas, it is time for a new set and naturally I can't help but wonder what else is out there. I don't mind paying for performance, but if I am better off going with monotube shocks, I can't say I've be disappointed to save the money.

Some questions that I have..

- Would reservoir shocks provide an on-road performance gain or really only noticeable off-road? (This is a DD and weekend warrior - no real extreme wheeling yet)
- I tow a +/- 1800lb trailer (loaded) to the desert 8-10 times per year. Not sure if stiffer shocks would be beneficial here?
- What is the difference between the below "tuned" kits and the standard of the shelf offerings from Fox/Bilstein? Are these specifically tuned for TF/AEV complete setups? (I am guessing I should avoid these?)
- Bilstein 5160 vs Fox Reservoir, if I decide to go this route?
- Bilstein 5100 vs Fox 2.0, if I decide to go this route?

On the last two, I am completely open to other suggestions, these are just the first two I have really looked at. I am trying to keep it below $1000 for reservoir.

Teraflex Tuned Fox Reservoir
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/shocks/1980200-teraflex-shock-kit-2-5-4in-lift

AEV Tuned Bilstein 5160 Reservoir
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/shocks/nth22232ab-aev-tuned-bilstein-5160-remote-reservoir-shocks

I appreciate any advice you guys can give

2012 JKU Sport Auto 3.6
3.5 RE Lift w/ 35's
Lots of bolted on weight, bumpers, winch, my big hairy.... etc.

jeeeep

Hooked
if you'll release the sway bar and lower your tire pressure on washboard roads it's not as harsh.

I've run the Bilstein 5100, King 2.5 reservoir and Ranch 9000 adjustable compression.

the remote reservoir shocks do not fade as fast at speed across a washboard road but with fully inflated tires it's still a harsh ride.

best bet is to slow down or if you feel you need to run full speed put it in 4-Hi, air down the tires (make sure you have a way to air up) and release the sway bar to allow the suspension to cycle and absorb the road.

If you have adjustable shocks you can adjust them for a softer ride depending on the coils you run. If the coils are too stiff it really won't make much difference.

I like the Rancho 9000 shocks but I'm always breaking off the adjuster knobs somewhere on the trail -PIA.

I don't like to be on the freeway at speed with overly soft shock settings but too stiff a setting sucks as well.

Meety Peety

To start with, what springs are you running?

They are Rubicon Express, not sure the rate. Number on the coil reads: RM 60460-1691. Googling had turned up very little on the specifics, looks to be maybe RE1300

if you'll release the sway bar and lower your tire pressure on washboard roads it's not as harsh.

I've run the Bilstein 5100, King 2.5 reservoir and Ranch 9000 adjustable compression.

the remote reservoir shocks do not fade as fast at speed across a washboard road but with fully inflated tires it's still a harsh ride.

best bet is to slow down or if you feel you need to run full speed put it in 4-Hi, air down the tires (make sure you have a way to air up) and release the sway bar to allow the suspension to cycle and absorb the road.

If you have adjustable shocks you can adjust them for a softer ride depending on the coils you run. If the coils are too stiff it really won't make much difference.

I like the Rancho 9000 shocks but I'm always breaking off the adjuster knobs somewhere on the trail -PIA.

I don't like to be on the freeway at speed with overly soft shock settings but too stiff a setting sucks as well.

The majority of washboard roads I encounter are to and from BLM shootings spots, not as often while off-roading. It would be more work than it's worth to air down for small stretches of washboard, I just figured maybe different shocks may help with it a little. It's not really much of a nuisance.

Rancho

Caught the Bug
Have you "spun" the shock body 180 and was the lower mount to protect it?

JeepJeep75

I’ve managed to break off both of my rear knobs too. I do plan on spinning the shocks around, but what do I need to get the ones I have now fixed? Can I order just the adjuster knobs? I looked online, but sub-parts for the 9k’s are not listed.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rancho

Caught the Bug
I think the 5000X is one of the best "bang for the buck" shock out there.
You can't go wrong with them.

I haven’t run the 9000’s yet, but IMO the RS5000x are really nice shocks. I ran them on my 2 door, and just bought a set for my JKUR, that should be here , tomorrow.

It really isn't that hard, just takes a bit to get used to.

I haven't but I'm debating it. Seems it would be more difficult to access the adjustment when it's facing the lower mount.

734-384-7804 is our Tech line/customer service they should be able to get you new knobs.

I’ve managed to break off both of my rear knobs too. I do plan on spinning the shocks around, but what do I need to get the ones I have now fixed? Can I order just the adjuster knobs? I looked online, but sub-parts for the 9k’s are not listed.

JeepJeep75

I think the 5000X is one of the best "bang for the buck" shock out there.
You can't go wrong with them.

It really isn't that hard, just takes a bit to get used to.

734-384-7804 is our Tech line/customer service they should be able to get you new knobs.

Rancho ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just called the number listed above. After fumbling through the automated menu, I eventually spoke with a nice fellow who found the part numbers for the busted-off adjuster knobs to my 9k adjustable shocks. After giving my name and address, I was about ready to give up my financial info, but was pleasantly surprised to here this: the parts are being sent to me at no cost!!! Thank you Rancho!!! You guys (and gals!) totally ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basscat

Hey guys. I currently have a set of Bilstein 5100s on my 2012 JK and it is time for new ones. I have been mostly happy with these. Aside from being a bit stiff, I really don't have much to complain about. Driving down a washboard dirt road is particularly bad, you really feel every single bump. I'm not sure how much different shocks would help with that particular issue.. I could live with it if need be. Alas, it is time for a new set and naturally I can't help but wonder what else is out there. I don't mind paying for performance, but if I am better off going with monotube shocks, I can't say I've be disappointed to save the money.

Some questions that I have..

- Would reservoir shocks provide an on-road performance gain or really only noticeable off-road? (This is a DD and weekend warrior - no real extreme wheeling yet)
- I tow a +/- 1800lb trailer (loaded) to the desert 8-10 times per year. Not sure if stiffer shocks would be beneficial here?
- What is the difference between the below "tuned" kits and the standard of the shelf offerings from Fox/Bilstein? Are these specifically tuned for TF/AEV complete setups? (I am guessing I should avoid these?)
- Bilstein 5160 vs Fox Reservoir, if I decide to go this route?
- Bilstein 5100 vs Fox 2.0, if I decide to go this route?

On the last two, I am completely open to other suggestions, these are just the first two I have really looked at. I am trying to keep it below $1000 for reservoir.

Teraflex Tuned Fox Reservoir
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/shocks/1980200-teraflex-shock-kit-2-5-4in-lift

AEV Tuned Bilstein 5160 Reservoir
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/shocks/nth22232ab-aev-tuned-bilstein-5160-remote-reservoir-shocks

I appreciate any advice you guys can give

2012 JKU Sport Auto 3.6
3.5 RE Lift w/ 35's
Lots of bolted on weight, bumpers, winch, my big hairy.... etc.

You'll likely not see a noticeable difference in "on road ride" between the 5100s and the 5160s. I've run them both. I do like the 5160s better all around especially when fade through heating comes into play. I will say the AEV 5160s really do set up well on a typical 5,000lb to 5,600lb JKU on 37s.

Tire deflation will soften your fire road/ washboard ride better than anything. Adjustable internal bypass shocks would allow you a much wider range but they're not cheap.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

Timely video. 😎 Nice! 👍
https://youtu.be/Qe0O3scAvw4
Rancho ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just called the number listed above. After fumbling through the automated menu, I eventually spoke with a nice fellow who found the part numbers for the busted-off adjuster knobs to my 9k adjustable shocks. After giving my name and address, I was about ready to give up my financial info, but was pleasantly surprised to here this: the parts are being sent to me at no cost!!! Thank you Rancho!!! You guys (and gals!) totally ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dammit. I've been ordering them through 4WP for $10+a week wait. Didn't know I could call Rancho directly.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Top Bottom