Another Steering Question

RangerRubi

After a recent wheeling trip to Maine, I'm having to make some repairs/upgrades: new 1350 Adams front drive shaft (boot made contact with exhaust), new swaybar disconnects (passenger factory one bent when at full droop, replacing with a manual disconnect vs the electronic) and steering stabilizer was destroyed (never did the flip).

While replacing the steering stabilizer, should I also flip my drag link? I don't have anything close to death wobble, but I do drift side to side within my lane at highway speeds (65-75mph) and occasionally experience bump steer. This has been the case since going to 35s and installing my lift (2.5 RK Flex). I should mention, I'm running around with 1x swaybar disconnect until the new ones come in but like I said, it's been an issue since the lift/tires went on. I've re-torqued all fasteners per other thread recommendations and have assessed ball joints and see no movement. I put new Toyo Open Country MTs on before the trip and had them balanced but haven't had them rebalanced since the trip. I wasn't aware of a "road force balance" so will seek out a shop that can do this in the future. Any feedback on the need for a drag link flip for my setup or brand recommendations if you think I need it would be appreciated.

J

JKDream

After a recent wheeling trip to Maine, I'm having to make some repairs/upgrades: new 1350 Adams front drive shaft (boot made contact with exhaust), new swaybar disconnects (passenger factory one bent when at full droop, replacing with a manual disconnect vs the electronic) and steering stabilizer was destroyed (never did the flip).

While replacing the steering stabilizer, should I also flip my drag link? I don't have anything close to death wobble, but I do drift side to side within my lane at highway speeds (65-75mph) and occasionally experience bump steer. This has been the case since going to 35s and installing my lift (2.5 RK Flex). I should mention, I'm running around with 1x swaybar disconnect until the new ones come in but like I said, it's been an issue since the lift/tires went on. I've re-torqued all fasteners per other thread recommendations and have assessed ball joints and see no movement. I put new Toyo Open Country MTs on before the trip and had them balanced but haven't had them rebalanced since the trip. I wasn't aware of a "road force balance" so will seek out a shop that can do this in the future. Any feedback on the need for a drag link flip for my setup or brand recommendations if you think I need it would be appreciated.

Draglink flips depend on how much actual lift you netted from your kit.
You might want to measure it out - most lifts net more than advertised.
I wouldn't run one with less than 3" as you need to run at least 3" of bumpstop to not hit the frame on uptravel.
As for the wandering - that is a caster related issue. Adjustable lower control arms will solve that for you.

RangerRubi

Draglink flips depend on how much actual lift you netted from your kit.
You might want to measure it out - most lifts net more than advertised.
I wouldn't run one with less than 3" as you need to run at least 3" of bumpstop to not hit the frame on uptravel.
As for the wandering - that is a caster related issue. Adjustable lower control arms will solve that for you.

I didn't measure before the lift install (2013). Is there a way to determine this now if I don't have original height? RK advertised you get 3" in the front and 2.5" in the rear at the time. Since then, have put on some armor but no winch (saving up). Recommended bumpstops from RK are 2" which are going on this week...learned that lesson on my last trip too.

LCRs are adjustable on my setup. It's about time for another alignment so will look at somewhere local for that as well.

Thanks for the recommendation.

jeeeep

Hooked
if you bent the sway bar link at full droop, check full droop without links - make sure you don't have too much droop to unseat the coils or cause your DS to separate.
I've seen jeeps with a lot of droop separate the DS on steep shelves.

check your caster as suggested, but a draglink flip will cure bump steer and also a lot of the lane wandering. if you have MTs they seem to make it worse.

Top Bottom