Dynatrac ball joint rebuild

jeeeep

Hooked
Has anyone rebuilt the Dynatrac ball joints? how difficult was it?

The instructions appear pretty straight forward but in my head everything appears easy enough until I start lol

I notice the kit comes with upper and lower for one side- should I rebuild both sides just to keep them equal on wear?

jeeeep

Hooked
Do yours actually need rebuilding? I have had mine for 55,000 miles with a lot of hard wheeling on 37s and Slabs and they are tight.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

yeah, I noticed when I installed them the driver side moved a bit easier than the passenger, really didn't think anything about it. just had the tires rotated and I noticed the driver side was feathered on the inside. I need to check the hub as well but the slight shimmy I've felt I suspect may be the lower ball joint.

I would do all 4 at the same time.

this is what I concluded as well. got to thinking if these were oem ball joints I'd be replacing all 4

Now the kicker I see in reading the rebuild process is it may actually be easier to install new ball joints.

Still need to remove everything as if replacing the ball joints and the teardown on the ball joints themselves looks pretty time consuming.

I'm thinking at this point I might as well just change out the ball joints as it appears to be the quicker option. :thinking:

edit - ball joints 1 yr old - approx. 30k miles. I'm hoping it's not the ball joint, will find out this weekend when I take it apart.

Last edited:

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I think I rather take the internals out rather than have to press them things out and in again. That’s what really takes the most time, at least for me. Plush rebuilding is half the price of the new ball joints.
How long did those last for you?

jeeeep

Hooked
I think I rather take the internals out rather than have to press them things out and in again. That’s what really takes the most time, at least for me. Plush rebuilding is half the price of the new ball joints.
How long did those last for you?

I put them in a year ago so about 30k miles. I'm really hoping it's the hub and not the ball joint. I need to inspect it closer

Why would you buy a rebuildable ball joint, and then replace it with a new ball joint?:thinking:

I thought they could be rebuilt without having to tear everything down to the knuckle.

I'm really hoping it's not the ball joint. I'd expect more than 30k miles if it is.

don't want to order the kit if I don't need it but want to have it handy if I do---fucking dilemma :doh:

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
The body is shorter on the lowers to accommodate for beefier axle shafts on the 12+ Rubicon models if I am not mistaken. I would say if you purchased them half way into 2012 or later you have the new style.

IMG_4191.jpg
IMG_5789.jpg
You cant really say form my pictures but the ears on the axle shafts are less then 1/4” away when they are rotating.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Has anyone rebuilt the Dynatrac ball joints? how difficult was it?

The instructions appear pretty straight forward but in my head everything appears easy enough until I start lol

I notice the kit comes with upper and lower for one side- should I rebuild both sides just to keep them equal on wear?

Honestly, I hated rebuilding mine, I also really hate pressing new ball joints in and out so I would to the rebuild. If you have a press it makes it A LOT easier imo. Also check with whoever you decide to order them from, when I got mine I ordered two kits because it said upper and lower one side and it ended up having both sides in one so I returned one.

jeeeep

Hooked
Honestly, I hated rebuilding mine, I also really hate pressing new ball joints in and out so I would to the rebuild. If you have a press it makes it A LOT easier imo. Also check with whoever you decide to order them from, when I got mine I ordered two kits because it said upper and lower one side and it ended up having both sides in one so I returned one.

thanks..yeah it looks like either way it's going to be time consuming.

I need another Jeep to run around in lol

Top Bottom