Magnaflow vs. MBRP Exhaust for Crawling....

Magnaflow vs. MBRP vs. DynoMax Exhaust for Crawling....

I wanted to ask if anyone can give some good advice between using a Magnaflow or MBRP cat-back exhaust. I am looking for a rock crawling that would exit over the axle towards the rear...

What is the thoughts on sound of these two?? Also any HP or MPG gains??

Oh, another thing... Anyone know if either of these are compatible with the EVO lever suspension?? I do not have it yet but I am thinking that may be a future upgrade??

Thanks,

Last edited:

TheGrendel

I wanted to ask if anyone can give some good advice between using a Magnaflow or MBRP cat-back exhaust. I am looking for a rock crawling that would exit over the axle towards the rear...

What is the thoughts on sound of these two?? Also any HP or MPG gains??

Oh, another thing... Anyone know if either of these are compatible with the EVO lever suspension?? I do not have it yet but I am thinking that may be a future upgrade??

Thanks,

no. if you are thinking Evo Lever, why not just have an exhaust shop build you one?

buckweil

I have the MBRP Cat back with banks headers. It's awesome great sound to it. I have the 4.0 though so most of my feedback on this site in irrelevant. 😂

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Dynomax quiet crawler :thumb:

View attachment 280005

With an EVO Lever System, this is the best way to go ^^^^^
High and out of the way, sounds great and without any drone.

But, between MBRP and Magnaflow, I'd have to go with the later if only because I'm not a fan of the way the MBRP sounds. In spite of what some will tell you, there are ZERO HP gains from an exhaust mod alone.

TheGrendel

But, between MBRP and Magnaflow, I'd have to go with the later if only because I'm not a fan of the way the MBRP sounds. In spite of what some will tell you, there are ZERO HP gains from an exhaust mod alone.

i thought it was well known that more noise it equals more pooooowwwwwwweeeerrrrrr. the brodozers around here are going to be so disappointed. :cheesy:

Well, I do have a TrailDash TD2 if that makes any difference... I like the short and sweet approach but as I hear from others I would want to play it safe by getting the exhaust all the way to the rear... Do not want to even to think about risking the precious cargo in the back seats (6 month baby).

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Well, I do have a TrailDash TD2 if that makes any difference... I like the short and sweet approach but as I hear from others I would want to play it safe by getting the exhaust all the way to the rear... Do not want to even to think about risking the precious cargo in the back seats (6 month baby).

I’ve never smelled any exhaust in my Jeep, and mine dumps before the axle.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Totally understand the concern but I've yet to hear of any proof that points to it being a fact. That being said, if you can actually route a pipe all the way to the back with an EVO lever, it shouldn't be any different to do with a Dynomax system.

Slimebones

I have the Magnaflow pre-axle dump and do not notice any excess exhaust odors at all and personally like the sound, but have only heard it from the driver's seat.

Just saw that Borla has some but of course they are all more expensive than Dynomax, MBRP, Magnaflow, etc...

Anyone use the Borla system?? Good/Bad?? I was kind of liking the setup of their new one that actually goes so far as to do the loop delete.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
one that actually goes so far as to do the loop delete.

Uh... isn't that a "negative" mod? as in going the WRONG way?? :hmm:

Something about pressure pulses and exhaust chamber evacuation efficiency comes to mind... ;)

SIDE BAR:
I dont understand... no one ever talked up how great it was to REMOVE an X-pipe or H-pipe on dual bank engines... EVER... This has been well documented to IMPROVE performance for decades... yet somehow the very same idea of equal length exhaust comes FACTORY on the JK 3.6, and people think they are doing themselves some sort of favor by removing it, because some company builds a setup and can market it! It is a ridiculous to buy a product based off marketing alone... Especially today, with all this information just a few key strokes and half a dozen mouse clicks away... Granted the benefits of equal length are only 3-5 points across the board for torque, and just a few points difference in peak hp, but regardless, removing it is netting that much LESS power... negligible, sure... but the idea of electing to go out and spend money, "just because" in order to net a REDUCTION in performance... :crazyeyes:

Last edited:
Uh... isn't that a "negative" mod? as in going the WRONG way?? :hmm:

Something about pressure pulses and exhaust chamber evacuation efficiency comes to mind... ;)

SIDE BAR:
I dont understand... no one ever talked up how great it was to REMOVE an X-pipe or H-pipe on dual bank engines... EVER... This has been well documented to IMPROVE performance for decades... yet somehow the very same idea of equal length exhaust comes FACTORY on the JK 3.6, and people think they are doing themselves some sort of favor by removing it, because some company builds a setup and can market it! It is a ridiculous to buy a product based off marketing alone... Especially today, with all this information just a few key strokes and half a dozen mouse clicks away... Granted the benefits of equal length are only 3-5 points across the board for torque, and just a few points difference in peak hp, but regardless, removing it is netting that much LESS power... negligible, sure... but the idea of electing to go out and spend money, "just because" in order to net a REDUCTION in performance... :crazyeyes:

You bring up a very good point.... And makes me wonder if Borla kept the lengths the same but getting rid of that excess pipe by plumbing a bit differently but still keeping stock lengths and such... I would think a company with the long standing rep that Borla has would create a pipe that decreases power / efficiency / etc...

I personally like Borla just because I have one of their systems on my old 94' YJ and 10+ years after buying the system they would actually replaced my muffler when the issue was not anything wrong with their stuff but my driveshaft breaking and slapping it pretty good. Shockingly they covered it as warranty when it was obviously abuse...

I think I will send them an Email and bring up your point and ask as the pictures are horrible to go by 100% and identify if they maintained equal lengths.

Thanks,

Totally understand the concern but I've yet to hear of any proof that points to it being a fact. That being said, if you can actually route a pipe all the way to the back with an EVO lever, it shouldn't be any different to do with a Dynomax system.

Considering the price and the rebate DynoMax now has till the end of the month, I believe I would be foolish not to just do the DynoMax... But now I am trying to figure which system... If you say the exhaust is not a problem I like the short and sweet 39522 system... It is like a $176.79 and there is a $50 rebate... However, I saw in another thread someone talking about drone on the 3.6L and then going to the "Quiet Crawler" system. I cannot find a system called "Quiet Crawler". I only find a system they call Rock Crawler (part 59523) or the "Ultra-Flo" (part 59517). The only difference I see between the 2 is the RockCrawler uses a round muffler while the Ultra-Flo uses an oval. I think the "RockCrawler" may be designed to be tucked up and better clearance but I do not see any installed pictures. From what I can see on DynaMax website the 2 mufflers should sound relatively the same.

If one of the other slightly more pricey systems can do the trick then I would just use them if that means no drone... So what are the thoughts?

Top Bottom