California peeps, which shock can survive this? Sort of off topic

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
So if you have a few minutes, watch this video....

Im sure many of you Cali guys and gals know exactly what road this is. I put the thread here because it's kind of general chit chat, and not even Jeep specific. After my recent experience in wyoming with washboard roads, I realized quickly that the only way to make the ride comfortable was to travel at 35-50mph on those roads to keep things buttery smooth, but that is done at the expense of the suspension having to do quite a bit of work. As you can see from the video, "normal" shocks can't take this sort of punishment, especially long distances like death valley offers. Hell, even the "hardcore" offroad shocks overheated and puked. So my question is, and it's a little bit of a noob question I guess....are there any shocks on the market (NOT SUSPENSION SYSTEMS like the DTD) that can be bolted on a stock 4WD vehicle, like a JK, that can take that sort of punishment for 100 miles without blowing out? To be even more specific, I am not talking about going over any whoops, potholes, rocks, etc....just a "graded" maintained road that happens to be corrugated. Thanks for any insight you can offer.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! Talk about Edmunds churching things up. I'm sorry but the road out to the race track is far from being as tortuous as they make it sound. Maybe if the Ridgeline were loaded up as the support vehicles, it may not have done as well as it did. That being said, we've run the trail with factory Rubicon shocks and without any problems. Of course, any good shock with a remote reservoir would handle it even better. If anything, we've managed to blow out a Walker Evans monotube on the West Side Rd. before. That's a longer trail to run and just as rough.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Thanks for chiming in Eddie. I remember you saying in another thread that speed is usually what breaks things and from my trip, I realized I really had to go fast to smooth out the washboard road keeping the tires at the top without giving them a chance to drop into the little pits (thanks mythbusters) so I wasn’t sure if 100 miles of washboard would kill a shock if you were driving 45mph on it. I was surprised to see the TRD Pro shocks puke up like that, figured they would be able to handle that.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for chiming in Eddie. I remember you saying in another thread that speed is usually what breaks things and from my trip, I realized I really had to go fast to smooth out the washboard road keeping the tires at the top without giving them a chance to drop into the little pits (thanks mythbusters) so I wasn’t sure if 100 miles of washboard would kill a shock if you were driving 45mph on it. I was surprised to see the TRD Pro shocks puke up like that, figured they would be able to handle that.

In reality, it's more like 25 miles to get out to the Racetrack. If I recall, they said the 100 miles was on pavement getting to the trailhead. They never really said how fast or even how well they are driving but there are washouts and dips on that trail that if you hit hard enough like a dumbass, that could play a roll in how the shocks ultimately held up. The video just seemed like more drama than fact.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Fair enough. So I guess a nice set of remote resi king shocks or something along those lines will work just fine. Just trying to slowly plan my JL build so I figured I’d try and get some edjumecation and broaden up my knowledge base. I’m learning as I go, and every time I go out west I learn a little bit more, but having you guys to fill the gaps has been helpful.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That’s the whole point of remote reservoirs - to help prevent cavitation. In fact, driving hard and fast is the only reason to have them. For rock crawling, they’re pretty much useless.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
LOL!! Talk about Edmunds churching things up.

Thanks for chiming in Eddie... I was surprised to see the TRD Pro shocks puke up like that, figured they would be able to handle that.

I was also surprised at how the Toyota shocks died. It never ceases to surprise me how marketing fails when compared to reality.

When I went with the DTD system, I was taking it on blind faith that the Wayalife brain trust knew what they were talking about. Now I know another reason why my shocks are built the way they are, and not just for looks. No worries about the shocks failing on just a dirt road then. When I was out hunting in August, I drove sometimes 100 miles in a day between hunting areas and I was zooming along between 60-70mph (but aired down to 15psi). No issues at all. Very happy.

Thank you guys.

DMF

I despise that road. It rattle my cb mount loose resulting in a broken cb. It made my cheap Chinese lights fall off of their mounts.

jesse3638

Hooked
I was also surprised at how the Toyota shocks died. It never ceases to surprise me how marketing fails when compared to reality.

When I went with the DTD system, I was taking it on blind faith that the Wayalife brain trust knew what they were talking about. Now I know another reason why my shocks are built the way they are, and not just for looks. No worries about the shocks failing on just a dirt road then. When I was out hunting in August, I drove sometimes 100 miles in a day between hunting areas and I was zooming along between 60-70mph (but aired down to 15psi). No issues at all. Very happy.

Thank you guys.

ChuckMRN on here frequents death valley and has told me how he has blown multiple sets of Bilstein 5100's out there from the long dirt roads so the Toyota's Bilsteins didn't really surprise me much. Like Eddie mentioned about the walker evens, the 5100's are a monotube shock also. I'm curious how much Honda paid Edmunds to run this video?...:crazyeyes:

Top Bottom