Texans first winter above the mason dixon

davidc128

I'll be taking my jeep with me on my ventures north... Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, and Massachusetts. I've seen snow probably 5 times in my life so I have no clue what to expect. My question is do I need to take any extra steps to protect my soft top, fluids, or jeep in general? Really any winter tips would b greatly appreciated

J

JKDream

I'll be taking my jeep with me on my ventures north... Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, and Massachusetts. I've seen snow probably 5 times in my life so I have no clue what to expect. My question is do I need to take any extra steps to protect my soft top, fluids, or jeep in general? Really any winter tips would b greatly appreciated

What tires are you running?

WJCO

Meme King
Make sure you have winter clothes in the jeep for all passengers. Could save your life.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I’m originally from Pittsburgh, PA and my wife is from Vermont. I enjoy driving in the snow, not so much ice or slush.

A quality tire makes a huge difference. If you are running factory quality fluids and have an OEM or quality soft top you will be fine. If you don’t trust your battery, carry a charged jump box with you. Absolute must -> Pick up a decent ice scrapper that is a foot or two long with a brush attachment on the other end...keep it in your Jeep. You will eventually need it.

If you get more than an inch of snow on your roof, use the brush to push it off and then scrap your glass (and your mirrors) clean before you start driving. Always remove the snow off of your hood so that it does blow into you windshield and blind you while your driving.

A driving tip. If you do find yourself in icy/slippery conditions, slow down. If your Car starts sliding or loosing grip on the road simply take your foot off of the gas pedal and let the engine slow you down. Do not slam on your brakes or you will find yourself completely out of control.

Enjoy being up North!

'07 JKUR

davidc128

What tires are you running?
35" Stt pros

Make sure you have winter clothes in the jeep for all passengers. Could save your life.

Never would have thought of that! Seriously thanks!

I’m originally from Pittsburgh, PA and my wife is from Vermont. I enjoy driving in the snow, not so much ice or slush.

A quality tire makes a huge difference. If you are running factory quality fluids and have an OEM or quality soft top you will be fine. If you don’t trust your battery, carry a charged jump box with you. Absolute must -> Pick up a decent ice scrapper that is a foot or two long with a brush attachment on the other end...keep it in your Jeep. You will eventually need it.

If you get more than an inch of snow on your roof, use the brush to push it off and then scrap your glass (and your mirrors) clean before you start driving. Always remove the snow off of your hood so that it does blow into you windshield and blind you while your driving.

A driving tip. If you do find yourself in icy/slippery conditions, slow down. If your Car starts sliding or loosing grip on the road simply take your foot off of the gas pedal and let the engine slow you down. Do not slam on your brakes or you will find yourself completely out of control.

Enjoy being up North!

'07 JKUR

I'm looking at ice scrapers now didn't realize so many option were out there lol

Im about to flush coolant and do a 5050 mix... do y'all use the mopar coolant or recommended a different one?

Clearskies

Caught the Bug

I just saw this myself... since you were talking about fluids
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...eep-JK-Wrangler-Coolants-and-Save-Your-Engine!

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
Make sure to familiarize yourself with the stopping distances in a safe way during snowy and icy conditions. Also be aware of the conditions that can cause black ice so you're a little prepared for it if encountered.

jeeeep

Hooked

washer fluid is usually the 1st thing to freeze. I like to use Prestone De-icer, Rain-x makes a winter fluid or Xtreme Blue, I think that is what I saw in Love's Fuel stop. I think they all contain alcohol/anti-freeze blends so be careful with it.

get a short ice scraper that you can fit in your hand, it also fits better along the side of your seat. I wouldn't use a scraper on the soft top or windows, they scratch too easily. Don't smack any of the soft top or windows to try to get snow off either- it's been awhile since I've owned a soft top but last one I owned in snow country I cracked it trying to smack the snow off. Let the Jeep warm up the interior before trying to remove ice from the windows.

Also as mentioned, winter clothes (layers), gloves and some sort of head/ear coverage.
When I travel in the winter (snow) I carry my old and trusty ski jacket, Froggtoggs Toadz raingear, a fleece vest and an oversized heavy cotton work shirt in case I need to work on the Jeep (it's sprayed with waterproofing and easier to clean). Make sure the outer shell of your coats are waterproof, you'll likely get into pretty wet snow in the northeast. I can easily layer with these 4 items.
I recently discovered Duluth fire hose shirt jackets and plan to spray it down with waterproof (I buy a little bit larger to allow for a fleece vest or other under layer). I prefer to get something like this dirty because it's easier to wash off.

I also carry a pair of Kamik winter boots, I like these or Sorel - they're roomy, waterproof, warm and good for deeper snow. nothing sucks like getting out in deep snow and having the snow inside your shoes. They also keep your feet dry and warm for longer periods of time. I keep a pair of thermal longer socks inside them so I can change into them inside the Jeep.

I'll have several packs HotHands of hand warmers, they're cheap and awesome. A couple of fleece blankets (they don't take up much space and a tarp, the harbor freight free ones work great in case I end up on the ground to work on the Jeep (only happened once). I also keep several pair of one size fits all knit gloves (cheap on Amazon).

Some water and dry snacks in case I have to spend a few days off the road.

I've only had to go full emergency a couple of times in over many years and while my friends always thought I was crazy to have so much stuff on hand, the one time we ended up off the road overnight and wake up to discover we've been buried by snowplows, they were very happy I was prepared.

Most the time I'll end up helping others who have broken down or slid off the road. It amazes me how many people are not prepared for winter conditions. I've given away a lot of knit gloves and hand warmers over the years.

I haven't broken down but I like to think of preparedness in case I need to wait out a winter snow. I have had to spend the night in the Jeep because of road closures and not a hotel room to be found.

Driving is a matter of going a little slower - great tips mentioned. You will be tempted to hit the brakes but remember to pump them, locking them up may send you into a spin.

4Hi will give you greater control but it's not a reason to go faster. drive with care.

it's a lot but hope it helps :beer:

Last edited:

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
For soft top windows I've used a credit card to get most of the ice off. Same with the windshield in a pinch. Over time the edges wear down to almost round and I can get most of the ice without worrying about scratching. Also I'd Leak test your top. Just use a hose at high power and check seams where you might need to throw up some weatherstripping.

Sent from my Life One X2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
Also I'd check and service your transfer case. If you've recently checked your fluid then don't worry about it but the last thing you want is malfunction from binding linkage or old fluid. Ask me how I know 🙄

Sent from my Life One X2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Just a note, I wasn’t recommending using the ice scrapper side to clean off you plastic windows or the fabric top. That is why you want a longer one with a brush on the other side...not four foot long, but long enough that you can use it to push all of the snow off. You should use the scrapper on your windshield and window glass (assuming normal doors).

When you are up north and have that first snow or real freeze and the roads are slick, try to find a large, empty and open parking lot to practice turning and stopping. Maybe attempt a few donuts too if the parking lot is completely empty. Most people do that as kids up here when they are learning to drive. I found it very helpful and fun.

'07 JKUR

Last edited:

Labricon

Caught the Bug
Lots of sound advice being given here. However do not pump your brakes! If you are panic braking on ice/snow your ABS will keep you from locking up and allow you to steer around the problem with rolling tires. If you ABS is not working and you do lock up just ease off a bit to threshold brake and steer the vehicle. Threshold braking is accomplished by squeezing the brake pedal to get max braking without locking up and it can take some practise to master. Enjoy the winter. I, however will be trying to leave it behind this year as a snowbird[emoji1063]

If you want more on this a quick Google of winter driving emergency braking will get you lots of info
Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
Lots of sound advice being given here. However do not pump your brakes! If you are panic braking on ice/snow your ABS will keep you from locking up and allow you to steer around the problem with rolling tires. If you ABS is not working and you do lock up just ease off a bit to threshold brake and steer the vehicle. Threshold braking is accomplished by squeezing the brake pedal to get max braking without locking up and it can take some practise to master. Enjoy the winter. I, however will be trying to leave it behind this year as a snowbird[emoji1063]

If you want more on this a quick Google of winter driving emergency braking will get you lots of info

yeah.. I forget ABS handles that chore, old school habits but they've served me well.

Ddays

Hooked
What time of year do you plan on being up north? Honestly the severity of our winters up here tends to get overblown. At least in Pa they do. Hell a forecast of 2-4" of snow gets the news folks all lathered up & the salt trucks lined up on the on-ramps. Its really unusual for snow to be left on the roads over a day, if that.
Salt and that nasty brine shit they put on the roads before it snows wreaks destruction on anything aluminum on your jeep. If you have anything like that make sure it has some kind of protection on it. Wouldn't be a bad idea to coat your undercarriage with something like fluid film either.

davidc128

Maybe attempt a few donuts too if the parking lot is completely empty

'07 JKUR

Now your speaking my language!! Haha
What time of year do you plan on being up north? Honestly the severity of our winters up here tends to get overblown. At least in Pa they do. Hell a forecast of 2-4" of snow gets the news folks all lathered up & the salt trucks lined up on the on-ramps. Its really unusual for snow to be left on the roads over a day, if that.
Salt and that nasty brine shit they put on the roads before it snows wreaks destruction on anything aluminum on your jeep. If you have anything like that make sure it has some kind of protection on it. Wouldn't be a bad idea to coat your undercarriage with something like fluid film either.
November- until.....

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
If you get caught on the road when it’s snowing turn your lights on if your wipers aren’t going already. Just be patient and enjoy the weather.

Ddays

Hooked

November- until.....

Our snows don't tend to really start until late Dec in PA and they're usually not all that heavy either. Having said that we'll probably get blasted early. :crazyeyes:

boardsurfer

November- until.....

Seriously though. Do some donuts. Find an empty parking lot (after a good snow of course) and find out what it feels like. Find the limit of your tires. I do this all this time and while it is definitely good fun, I have a much better idea of what my tires (STT Pro, 35s) are capable of.

davidc128

Our snows don't tend to really start until late Dec in PA and they're usually not all that heavy either. Having said that we'll probably get blasted early. :crazyeyes:
Farmers almanac does say it's gonna be a brutal winter... well see tho
Seriously though. Do some donuts. Find an empty parking lot (after a good snow of course) and find out what it feels like. Find the limit of your tires. I do this all this time and while it is definitely good fun, I have a much better idea of what my tires (STT Pro, 35s) are capable of.
U can bet ur ass Im gonna be trying to confuse the hell out of my compass!!

Top Bottom