Correct Steering or get shorter coils

USA2dr

So I have come across some steering problems with the rubicon express 3.5 inch lift. Seems that the lift is pretty tall and there is not enough correction.

My question is would it be easier/cheaper to change the steering geometry (lower control arms, drag link flip) or simply get shorter coils from evo, which would probably give a far better ride than the harsh Rubicon Express coils. Any opinions on which way to go.

I have a 35 inch tire with lots of wheel gap on the 3.5 lift so imo it seems that there is room to lower. But I am young dumb and looking for more opinions.

Love Wayalife and appreciate any input.

J

JKDream

So I have come across some steering problems with the rubicon express 3.5 inch lift. Seems that the lift is pretty tall and there is not enough correction.

My question is would it be easier/cheaper to change the steering geometry (lower control arms, drag link flip) or simply get shorter coils from evo, which would probably give a far better ride than the harsh Rubicon Express coils. Any opinions on which way to go.

I have a 35 inch tire with lots of wheel gap on the 3.5 lift so imo it seems that there is room to lower. But I am young dumb and looking for more opinions.

Love Wayalife and appreciate any input.
What steering issues are you having?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

USA2dr

Looks kinda like the start of death wobble, steering is kinda loose and bumps are causing a shimmy and shake in the wheel.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
If it were me I would go with shorter evo coils. It would be cheaper and like you said, provide a better ride. I currently have a 3.5 RC lift and will be going with 3inch plush coils soon. Fortunately my steering hasn't been affected yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

Looks kinda like the start of death wobble, steering is kinda loose and bumps are causing a shimmy and shake in the wheel.

Replacing coil springs won't solve that issue. It sounds like you have worn suspension joints.
The only thing a draglink flip helps is bumpsteer which is a lot different from any type of shakes.

WJCO

Meme King
Sounds to me like something is loose. I would start by torquing track bar bolts to 125 ft lbs.

USA2dr

Thanks for all the quick replies. As far as I can tell the joints are solid. The Jeep drove well for a while until recently. I'll try everything above but I'm thinking it's mostly a geometry issue which is what I was considering lower springs.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Thanks for all the quick replies. As far as I can tell the joints are solid. The Jeep drove well for a while until recently. I'll try everything above but I'm thinking it's mostly a geometry issue which is what I was considering lower springs.

If it drove fine and now you starting to get shimmy I would definitely start by making sure your track bar is torqued to spec. Also check balljoints and unit bearings. Make sure your wheels are properly seated and torqued

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
Top Bottom