Anyone running the PSC Motorsports High Volume Steering Pump Kit

JensenBreck

Hello,

We're running 37's and planning on going to 40's, and it looks like the pump is on the fritz and needs to be replaced, it seems like the option is OEM, or the PSC set up. I don't want to go full hydro assist, but hearing people replacing their pumps multiple times, I'm thinking of upgrading. Wondering if anyone is running this set up, and how the install was.

Last edited by a moderator:

Exodus 4x4

Just want to mention that if you do go OEM, I’ve been told to only get the Mopar replacement pumps. Supposedly the cheaper options and rebuilds are not using the same quality internals (shocking, I know) and most likely the cause of premature failures.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

2011jk

I run one plus their box and ram but I install everything on my JK.
NEVER run full hydro on the street just run one of their ram kits.

sunnysideup

Hello,

We're running 37's and planning on going to 40's, and it looks like the pump is on the fritz and needs to be replaced, it seems like the option is OEM, or the PSC set up. I don't want to go full hydro assist, but hearing people replacing their pumps multiple times, I'm thinking of upgrading. Wondering if anyone is running this set up, and how the install was.

Lol... no one replied that did this project at the time.
I just finished doing mine today, also running 37's without hydro. I do have the PSC HD Steering gear.
I washed the old fluid out, and then pumped some new swepco into the system- while the old failing stock pump was attached. Pulled air box- old pump- old stock reservoir.

The new pump goes on fine, I had no directions in my kit, so I just kind of went off of what I could find from the PSC site and online. From what I can tell PSC wants you to mount the reservoir closer to the pump (within 16 inches) and they want it uphill from the pump. The stock location will not give you that. I noticed online that a number of people mounted it near the battery... which after a close look... I figured out how to mount in there. I took a small funnel and filled the pump through the fitting before attaching the hoses- turning the pump by hand to get air bubbles out, Hooked it all up and let it sit full of fluid while I went to change out the idler pully. Cleaned things up and put the new belt on.... got it all tight. Started it up, and the system never went down through hall the turning of the steering wheel, and no squeals or noise at all from anything.

I had to drill two holes, cut two hoses, splice one hose... and put a belt on... so it is not a difficult job- even without instructions for the JK ( I did get a random sheet of paper showing bad placements of the reservoir on many different applications)… so my guess is anyone with a little skill can do this project. The parts were all of very high quality and everything fit as it should.

The end result, I can turn when backing up again! I can turn when it's 15 below zero again, my jeep doesn't sound like it is grinding coffee when it starts up in the morning.

As far as improvements.... it does turn very easily now, amazing how quick you can hit the bump stops when you spin it back and forth. I drove with a bad Steering pump since about June... so everything feels great now, but I can't tell you if it was better than stock because stock has been bad for so long. I hope to get out snow wheeling some more... I'll try to update my thoughts on it when it gets tested offroad a little more!

Top Bottom