Last Minute Hydro Questions

J

JKDream

Ordered my kit today from RR.
What are most of you using for the tie rod clamp?
I'm using a Synergy tie rod. I see PSC makes one - as does Synergy.
Any reason not to just weld the tabs to the tie rod?
Do I NEED the low misalignment spacers right away?
Coolers - Do you run one? Are they really needed?

Pretty happy to finally get this set up to cure my steering woes.
Driving anything high traction is brutal and requires a lot of wheelspin to let me turn - which usually leads to broken shit.

austin160

RR doesnt suggest using a clamp. It makes sense, seeing how the ram is actually pushing the tie rod now. I bought my kit from a friend and he used the synergy one with no issues though. Im going to weld a couple mounting tabs to the tie rod instead of using the clamp I currently have.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
just to bump this thread, why do people think a cooler is necessary? The factory steering system doesnt come with a cooler, and I cant see a ram mounted low on the axle GENERATING any additional heat? the whole idea of ADDING a cooler just seems... questionable to me at best, and more likely unnecessary. :idontknow:

How long have you been running it with no cooler? Also are you running the stock pump?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Exodus Jeeps runs a 6.0L LS, and IIRC, they used a PSC pump?

Last edited:

Jackal01

How long have you been running it with no cooler? Also are you running the stock pump?

I actually bought his ram and hoses when I swapped my axles. I did get a rebuild regearbox since his was staying with his rig. I can't recall when he installed the system but I'm sure he will chime in. Regardless, even if all my stuff was brand new, my system did well on the most recent trip (TX Exodus). My jeep did 4500 miles from Houston. Did Moab, San Jaun mountains and other trails. 12 hour days with thr jeep running. I had zero issues. No cooler. Stock pump and reservoir.

Exodus 4x4

Exodus Jeeps runs a 6.0L LS, and IIRC, they used a PSC pump?
Actually I’m still running the GM pump which is actually a better pump than the PSC, but will be switching over to a Jeep drive and therefore a PSC pump.

However when I ran it on the 3.6 I had zero temperature issues. If anything the addition of a cooler is something else to block air to the radiator.

I think Benito might be able to better answer your question since he added a cooler AND another fan, it didn’t lower his temps.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
I actually bought his ram and hoses when I swapped my axles. I did get a rebuild regearbox since his was staying with his rig. I can't recall when he installed the system but I'm sure he will chime in. Regardless, even if all my stuff was brand new, my system did well on the most recent trip (TX Exodus). My jeep did 4500 miles from Houston. Did Moab, San Jaun mountains and other trails. 12 hour days with thr jeep running. I had zero issues. No cooler. Stock pump and reservoir.

That is great news! I am gonna run it without and see how it does.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Actually I’m still running the GM pump which is actually a better pump than the PSC, but will be switching over to a Jeep drive and therefore a PSC pump.

However when I ran it on the 3.6 I had zero temperature issues. If anything the addition of a cooler is something else to block air to the radiator.

I think Benito might be able to better answer your question since he added a cooler AND another fan, it didn’t lower his temps.

Thanks for the info!

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug

Any chance you can post a pic of your hose routing?

J

JKDream

No cooler needed. I use the clamps RH4x4 sells on my setups.

Thanks for the heads up. RR didn't recommend one - but I saw a lot of posts regarding adding one to the system.
Seemed people were more doing it to add volume to the system since you keep the stock pump/res.
I'll run it without for now and see if I have any issues. Pretty excited though, a rebuilt steering box will be nice as mine is veeeeery sloppy.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the heads up. RR didn't recommend one - but I saw a lot of posts regarding adding one to the system.
Seemed people were more doing it to add volume to the system since you keep the stock pump/res.
I'll run it without for now and see if I have any issues. Pretty excited though, a rebuilt steering box will be nice as mine is veeeeery sloppy.

That's for sure! Mine is past worn out rolling 37s on Slabs for 5 years!

jeeeep

Hooked
Ordered my kit today from RR.
What are most of you using for the tie rod clamp?
I'm using a Synergy tie rod. I see PSC makes one - as does Synergy.
Any reason not to just weld the tabs to the tie rod?
Do I NEED the low misalignment spacers right away?
Coolers - Do you run one? Are they really needed?

Pretty happy to finally get this set up to cure my steering woes.
Driving anything high traction is brutal and requires a lot of wheelspin to let me turn - which usually leads to broken shit.

I wouldn't weld tabs on the Synergy tie rod, they have too much flop and will weaken the welds with each flop. Also, if you damage the tie rod it's easier to swap out a clamp then deal with welded tabs.

Synergy makes a tie rod clamps, been running it on my PSC for a few years no issues. make sure you get the correct diameter for your tie rod.

Get the low misalignment spacers, I can tell you from experience the Synergy tie rod has a lot of flop and with the ram it's more noticeable and will cause some binding.

Once you get the ram installed check the clearance on the diff cover, the tie rod is very close and the ram may make contact with the diff cover.

If you have the 3.6 and plan to install the reservoir near the air cooler you can get away without a cooler.

If you have a 3.8 and have to install the reservoir next to battery, get a cooler. The heat from the manifold will affect it after a good day on the trail with lots of maneuvering.

If you get the Derale cooler, it sits in front along the bottom of the radiator. I have a winch in front of mine and no issues.

Also, no issues with the radiator not getting enough air passing thru.

If you get the single bypass cooler, no issues bleeding all the air bubbles out of the system.

If you get the dual pass cooler, do not bolt it in place until after you've bled the air out of the system. You'll want to raise the return side higher and it will help in getting any air bubbles out of the cooler.

good luck :thumb:

Get the recommended Swepco fluid, it does make a difference.

just hit me you're using the stock pump and RR - just use the fluid recommended for the stock pump.

Last edited:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I quickly added in the synergy misalignment spacers after seeing a lot of rub marks from a bolt on my tie rod flopping. For how cheap they are, its worth it right away. I also run a cooler, but I am running the larger upgraded PSC hoses for the 12+ system. For how low the cooler mounts, I dont see it blocking any airflow and why not just add one in for added peace of mind? Also running the tie rod clamp for the ram, felt it made more sense than welding tabs since I already swapped tie rods once so far and have to fine tune the location.

Top Bottom