NEW WAYALIFE Web App - NOW AVAILABLE

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
To all the members of WAYALIFE, Cindy and I would like to apologize for the new App changes that are coming your way. They are by no means something we wanted to do but unfortunately, the company who made what we have now will no longer be supporting it. In fact, they are now asking us to relinquish all control to them and tolerate changes that include annoying new ads or keep paying them anyway and deal with a growing number of bugs and security issues that will never be addressed. To make matters worse, we've attempted to have a new app developed but found that Apple will NOT approve it due to recent changes in their rules. Even though all we want to do is replace what we have, Apple is telling us that our new app would be "too similar" to other apps that already exist and this is something they are trying to limit. Needless to say, our options are few and until or unless we can come up with a better solution, you will see changes on our app. There is a chance we may revert back to a really old app that came with our forum software but it has a host of problems all its own.

With all that said, Cindy and I have developed a new web app that'll give you an alternative way to access WAYALIFE on a mobile device. Essentially, it's a refined mobile site and one that utilizes Safari or Chrome and the following are instructions on how you can create a "web app" button on your iPhone, iPad or Android device.. Once set up, you will have a button on your home screen and it should look and feel just like a regular app. I will be the first to say that it isn't perfect but it is at least stable and it does have a few features that are in my opinion, nice to have. I should note that we are continuing to work on updates to improve what we can and we'll be sure to get them up as soon as possible.

How to Create a WAYALIFE Web App Icon on your iPhone or iPad's home screen:
1. Open Safari.
20171025132115-e673672f.jpg

2. Go to www.wayalife.com
20171025132117-f8c2a87b.jpg

3. Tap the "Share Button" on the bar at the bottom of the screen.
20171025132120-9160464a.jpg

4. Scroll through the options until you find the "Add to Home Screen" button and tap it.
20171025132122-2417d8c6.jpg

5. Tap the "Add" link on top corner.
20171025132124-a4b724da.jpg

6. That's it. You now have a shortcut to the WAYALIFE Web App on your iPhone's home screen.
20171025132126-2c183941.jpg

Using the WAYALIFE Web App
One of the cool things about the new WAYALIFE Web App is that it's got an easier to use "menu" and easier to find "search". The menu is shown as the 9 square boxes and the obviously, the search is the magnifying glass.
20171025142001-14021679.jpg

The menu will take you to things like the "What's New" link.
20171025142005-79372e68.jpg

Another cool aspect of the web app, at least on an iPhone is that you can just swipe to go back a page.
20171025142010-3f9ae3d1.jpg

Please let me know if you have any questions.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How to Create a WAYALIFE Web App Icon on your Android device home screen:
1. Open Chrome.
20171026145740-ab3aeb64.jpg

2. Go to www.WAYALIFE.com
20171026145743-d923b2bc.jpg

3. Tap on the 3-Dots on the upper right hand corner of your screen to access more options on Chrome.
20171026145745-538d1e6e.jpg

4. Select "Add to Home screen"
20171026145747-4d065f59.jpg

5. Tap on the "Add" link.
20171026145749-26cd6b05.jpg

6. That's it. You now have a shortcut to the WAYALIFE Web App on your Android device home screen.
20171026145751-5bcdb54d.jpg

Please let me know if you have any questions.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I should note that for those of you who've been using the full site on your mobile device, you may not see the WAYALIFE mobile site. If this is the case for you, simply scroll down to the bottom of your screen and you should see a drop down box. Change the style to "WAL 2017 Mobile" and you should be good to go. :cool:

IMG_9861.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Man that sucks, I kinda like the phone app but it is what it is. Thank You for your hard work Eddie and Cindy, for keeping this going [emoji869]

The whole thing totally sucks. You have no idea how much time and money we've spent trying to make things work only to find out it was all for not. I have been a long time Apple supporter but this whole experience has pissed me off so much that I am now considering the use of other products.

TRLJNKY

Not only do you have to be Jeep Guru's you have to be tech guru's also. Small adjustement but the payoff is immense. Thanks for the update and for all the headaches you guys have to go through to provide this site to us.

aka cavfighter

TrailHunter

Hooked
What a bummer!... love the simplicity of the app... sorry you have to deal with this and thanks for everything you guys do... Wayalife forum will be great no matter format. [emoji1360]

JKbrick

Man that sucks, I kinda like the phone app but it is what it is. Thank You for your hard work Eddie and Cindy, for keeping this going [emoji869]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hope I can figure this out or I will be having some serious withdrawals. Thank you for letting us know. Is this something we need to do ASAP? Delete the app and do this?

Edit: not sure why it quoted you

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not only do you have to be Jeep Guru's you have to be tech guru's also. Small adjustement but the payoff is immense. Thanks for the update and for all the headaches you guys have to go through to provide this site to us.

aka cavfighter

It's just nuts! No matter how much we try or are even willing to throw money at a problem, we always and still at the mercy of companies like Apple. :naw:

What a bummer!... love the simplicity of the app... sorry you have to deal with this and thanks for everything you guys do... Wayalife forum will be great no matter format. [emoji1360]

Hope I can figure this out or I will be having some serious withdrawals. Thank you for letting us know. Is this something we need to do ASAP? Delete the app and do this?

As of now, the app you have will still be the same, or relatively so. It'll just have an annoying ad at the beginning and maybe others as well. There is no need to delete what you have and the new web app we're offering is just an alternative to the app you got on iTunes. We just wanted to make sure you had another option just in case the changes were too much to bear or if we had to change things significantly.

Jheapr

The whole thing totally sucks. You have no idea how much time and money we've spent trying to make things work only to find out it was all for not. I have been a long time Apple supporter but this whole experience has pissed me off so much that I am now considering the use of other products.

So this is an Apple product issue? Sorry just trying to understand. Will you continue to have an app for androids?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So this is an Apple product issue? Sorry just trying to understand. Will you continue to have an app for androids?

The problem started with our app developer who makes what we have for both Apple and Android. We've attempted to just have a new app made but found that Apple won't approve it and that put us in a bind. Either way, changes are coming for both whether we like it or not. We do have an old app that came with the forum software and may need to revert back to it. If we do, it will work for both Apple and Android.

drrags

And me being an iPhone hater since the beginning of time, switched this year because android pissed me off. And at the same time, I've used Windows since 3.0. Windows 10 has pissed me off that I switched to MacOS, too. I don't have the patience for Linux :mad:

redbeardedrob

Hi guys. Sorry to hear about your frustrations with the iPhone App. I've actually seen a lot of companies/places use a Web App instead of an actual AppStore app. It typically requires less development and can be constructed along side your webpage. One of the movie sites I regularly check is called "Dark Horizons"... they too use the 'web app' functionality and build that language in to their site.. check it out here http://www.darkhorizons.com/mobile-app/

Much like this post, but actually adding it to their site as the only mobile way to access their content.

Hope it all works out in the end.

Rob

brentkauser556

Well at least it works.

Easy to install on my android.
Thanks for keeping this going, I know I don't post a whole lot, but I really enjoy the advice and tips I find in the forums

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Thanks for all your hard work getting this up and running!

The web app is actually really easy to use and very similar to being on the computer! Members will actually like it once they make the switch

wjtstudios

Hooked
Thank you wayoflife for all you’re out have done behind the scenes to keep us all connected! It has to be so frustrating! Another jeep forum that I am also a part of just crashed our server on the 23rd loosing all data including the back up. An impossible situation that came true. Thank god we had a physical back up from May that was able to restore the last 15 years of data. You guys do so much for us behind the scenes. I can’t thank you enough!

Honor2afault

Caught the Bug
Apple Douche-baggery

Thank you & Cindy for all that you do, have done and continue to do for all of us with the bug. That some companies make things so difficult or simply insist upon imposing their wills upon others through things like that is, well it's stupid.
Again, Thank you for all you do.

jkbarnett

Thanks for the heads up, what a bummer for all headaches and coin. I hope this current app I’m using continues without any hitches. Thanks again for a great forum.

Thanks for all you do to make Wayalife what it is. As the others have said, webapps are the wave of the future, will continue to get better and should be easier to develop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom