View Poll Results: Body paint color, just for fun.

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mojito Green, JL color

0 0%
  • Chestnut Brown Metallic, Classic 70's

0 0%
  • Medium Blue Metallic, Late 70's early 80's

1 50.00%
  • Leave it alone, keep the Patina!

1 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: CJ-5 Project Old School

Nothing but a Thing AZ Explorer's Avatar

Boots!

The old shifter boots are obviously old and somewhat poor condition based purely on age. I wanted to get something a little nicer and since I put on the 1 inch body lift, the levers don't line up with the holes as good as they used to.

I moved the cover plate back so it worked enough to function, but I'm not happy with it. Where the front of the plate meets the body, there's almost no overlap and I'd really like it to be right.
    So I'm going to get a blank cover plate and cut the holes in the proper location. Also this will allow me to change the hole from round to square for the transmission.

The new trans boot is a Lokar with a billet trim ring. The transfer case boot is a custom order with a liner sewn in. I can get a 16 gauge trim ring for the transfer case boot as mine is bent up from over tightening (plus now it doesn't match). I have found a few machining companies locally that should be able to mill a billet ring to match the trans ring. It would be wider and different dimensions of course, but done in a similar style. If it ends up being too cost prohibitive, then I will order the steel ring which comes in black powder coat for $25.00 plus shipping.

After whatever I do to the body to finish it, I will at least carpet the front section and it should have a very clean look. This is another one of those detail things I am stockpiling as I go that will make the Jeep stand out some.

IMG_0719.jpg

wars90442___image_thumbnail_7676_6988.jpg
    Last edited by AZ Explorer; 02-24-2019 at 01:11 AM.

That’ll bring it back to a factory look! Good idea

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

CJ-5 Project Old School

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Explorer View Post
    Hey JKbrick, Stumbled across this and thought you might like seeing it. First time I have since I was a kid.

Attachment 321361
    Wow that’s awesome!! Brings back some old memories, thanks I really appreciate this
    All the shocks are hilarious

Hubs

Wasn't going to get these until I started to clean up and paint the axle housings. However, I got a hell of a deal and couldn't pass them up.
    I've been keeping an eye on prices and ended up having these delivered to my door for a total cost of $140.00. They retail for around $250.00 and the lowest I normally see them for is 189.00.
    Even then there is often shipping at that price. Really happy that I have my first Warn upgrade for this Jeep. The next one will be the VR series 8000S winch with synthetic line. Maybe Christmas for that one, if I start asking the wife now...

0.jpg

IMG_0720.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Explorer View Post
    Wasn't going to get these until I started to clean up and paint the axle housings. However, I got a hell of a deal and couldn't pass them up.
    I've been keeping an eye on prices and ended up having these delivered to my door for a total cost of $140.00. They retail for around $250.00 and the lowest I normally see them for is 189.00.
    Even then there is often shipping at that price. Really happy that I have my first Warn upgrade for this Jeep. The next one will be the VR series 8000S winch with synthetic line. Maybe Christmas for that one, if I start asking the wife now...

0.jpg

IMG_0720.jpeg
    Those look great

What?!?!

This is a new thing for me. I bought my new wheels 2 weeks ago and after a week and a half the drivers rear tire was flat. I'm thinking well, maybe it didn't seat right. Or, since I did steel valve stems, there could have been a problem with the gaskets sealing. So this morning I took the tire/wheel back down to Discount and they put it in the dunk tank to see where the problem was.
    Unbelievably to our surprise there is a small (invisible to the eye) crack in the wheel right on the flat surface. A small manufacturers defect no one could have known was there.
    My sales guy got all the info and will be reordering the wheel on Monday as the mfgr. is closed today. Hopefully, it won't take too long but I am expecting up to 6 weeks if they have to make another one.
    I have never seen a new wheel leak there before. The Discount guys said it is really rare but it does happen from time to time.

Leak is right about here...
    IMG_0735.jpeg

I did get some new part to tinker with. A set each of front and rear of Currie greasable shackles.
    M.O.R.E front spring hangers because they're better and the body shop was convinced the stock ones are bent and causing a slight axle shift to the drivers side. Will be getting the rears to match soon.
    New rear emblems for later because they were on sale.
    Finally, I had a gift card I needed to use and got a pair of lube-locker gaskets for my axles. I'll use these later after a bit of restoration and new, yet to be ordered, diff covers.

IMG_0736.jpg

Crappy worn out emblems

IMG_0391.jpg

That stinks, can you keep it for wall art?

Quote Originally Posted by JKbrick View Post
    That stinks, can you keep it for wall art?

Lol, I have to exchange it when it comes in.

The shackles and front hangers went on really easy as expected. They look great and for the record, Currie’s claim that these shackles do not work with Pro Comp springs is untrue. It’s an exact fit with the bushings going into the spring eyes with the same tension as the hangers whether it be the new ones or the stock ones at the rear of the Jeep. I could see the claim of the Rubicon Express ones possibly not fitting or any other spring with the military wrap on the spring ends, but mine were good. I was concerned but ordered them anyway figuring I could always send them back if I had to.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking good!!

Take what you can! Give nothing back!

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast