View Poll Results: Body paint color, just for fun.

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mojito Green, JL color

0 0%
  • Chestnut Brown Metallic, Classic 70's

0 0%
  • Medium Blue Metallic, Late 70's early 80's

1 50.00%
  • Leave it alone, keep the Patina!

1 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: CJ-5 Project Old School

Hell ya! Looking good!

Nothing but a Thing AZ Explorer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by black pearl View Post
    Looking good!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by TOPLESS View Post
    Hell ya! Looking good!
    Thanks guys!

Been Around the Block Jaybird 11's Avatar
    Sucks about the wheel. Its looking dam good tho!

Sent from my SM-G920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird 11 View Post
    Sucks about the wheel. Its looking dam good tho!

Sent from my SM-G920V using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Thanks, Bud!

The last part on my most recent order finally arrived. A heavy duty steering box brace which moves the box forward 1.25 inches. When I get the new frame, the company said they would mount the front spring brackets forward by that same measurement. The shackles stay mounted in the same place and will lean a bit more forward at the bottom, but I have the wiggle room as now they sit slightly negative and should end up where I want them to be.
    The CJ factory set up has the wheels set too far to the rear and causes rubbing and turning issues when larger tires are added. (At least the sizes I'm running).
    I was going to do a heavy duty bracket anyhow so getting this style was a no brainer. Luckily, the rear tire sits pretty centered in the wells, only had the common issue with the front.

0.jpeg
    Last edited by AZ Explorer; 03-12-2019 at 11:33 PM.

Well, it took about 7 weeks but I finally got my warranty wheel replaced. Nice to have all four tires holding air now.

While I was waiting I decided to sticker up a little. I added the Jeep fender logo in blue like it would have been from the factory but was missing on both sides. I've seen a lot of JK's with the cowl flags and always liked the look so I did that as well along with the Arizona state/flag combo.

The little round 1941 Jeep heritage sticker was just something to put where the fender stripe decal was replaced with painters tape. That looked bad up close and there was no way to replace just that section and it would have looked weird anyhow with a new section of decal in front of weathered portion on the tub.

Finally, I had a sticker made with the name of the Jeep above the rear turn signal. I thought the whole thing would cooler this way until I can do something about the body.

It really needs almost the whole drivers side of the tub replaced to be straight, and there is a very small rust hole in the cowl on the drivers side below the windshield hinge at the seam. That whole section has a pretty good amount of surface rusted on the inside of the panel especially at the seams. I am thinking of doing the POR 15 thing to keep the body from getting worse. After I get the mechanicals worked out and drive it for awhile, I can decide what direction to go.

I can imagine it will run around $2800 to $4000 to redo the tub. That's the cost of a repli-tub but mine would be mostly original. The hood can be repaired, windshield is good and fenders would be fiberglass even if I stick with the steel tub. At least this way, I can by on the road and trails faster. What I need at minimum is the new frame, steering column and rear CV driveshaft, and the rear end needs 1 piece axleshafts. If it comes down to it, I would rather do a Fiberglass tub over a new steel tub. But if I can fix the original tub to newish condition for a reasonable cost, I'll do that. But again, that will be later after it's driveable.

The engine needs a rear main seal for sure but I would like a rebuild for reliability and to fix all leaks. I got a quote from a local company that specializes in AMC engines and they will pick up the engine from my house and bring it back done for a little under $4000. That would include doing a performance rebuild, cam, pistons, better oiling system new Edelbrock intake, HEI distributor, factory blue paint etc. anyway, lots of good stuff. Probably good for around 250 HP and big torque numbers. Saving in a seperate account to do that hopefully some time next year.

I'm going to be 49 in July and my goal is to be able to drive this thing during my 50th birthday year. I don't want to turn 51 and have it still just sitting.
    When I did the budget and figured what I have in it and what I need to spend (adding 20% for incidentals) I will be well under the price of a side by side which I was looking at a while back before I bought the CJ. I had looked at the Can-Am maverick X3 2 door. I think I can beat that price even after doing the body maybe by $3000 to $4000. In the end I'll have something far cooler.

IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0968.jpg

IMG_0970.jpg

Looks great!
    2013 JKU Sport "Spider" with some EVO goodies and a chop here and there

DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

Overall "build thread" http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2...ker-quot-build

Looking good man and a solid plan! You budget for a carb or a injection kit?

Completely agree, it’s worth the wait to do it right!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Quote Originally Posted by TOPLESS View Post
    Looking good man and a solid plan! You budget for a carb or a injection kit?
    Holly Truck Avenger. Want to keep it simple. That carb will allow as much or more climbing angle than the Jeep can handle without flopping over. 😜

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast