Pony express disaster.

After taking a few days to reflect on the events from last weekend, I decided to fully share the story of how I ended up axle deep in western Utah muck, why I decided to call on the WAYALIFE community and ultimately, how I got back out and the end result.

I made a few errors, some bigger than others, but all in all it was a learning experience I won't soon forget. It goes to show that despite nearly 15 of years of 4wheeling experience, I found myself in a world I'd never been in and one I don't want to soon visit again.

IMG_6426.jpg Gorgeous Sunday afternoon. I decided to get the wife, our daughter and our two dogs out on an easy stroll from Utahs west desert and head towards Wendover Nevada on the old Pony Express Rout.

IMG_6432.jpg An old pet cemetery out in the middle of nowhere. There is some history about this site but forgive me for not knowing the full scoop.

IMG_6438.jpg
IMG_6439.jpg
IMG_6442.JPG Stopping off at Simpson springs to stretch our legs and give the dogs a chance to run around.
So far so good.
IMG_6453.JPG There isn't much out here and that's why we were enjoying it so much. Taking note of how bad it would suck to be stranded out here... little did we know...
IMG_6454.JPG About 77 miles in from where we started, or a full 140 miles from home, an extremely frail and old man with a nasty limp waved us down, about 5 miles past The Fish Springs Refuge station. Explaining that he was stranded with a friend about 1/4 mile down a side trail without food and water, he asked for our help. We carefully made our way to their 2wd Ford ranger and soon discovered they had been there for a few days.

After pulling them out, I attempted to turn the jeep around and instantly got stuck.

IMG_6455.JPG trying everything we had on board, floor mats, shovels, even some old wooden pallets that had been left out here, we tried to free ourselves. Quickly getting deeper and deeper into the nasty mud. The old men tried to get into position to free us but instantly got stuck as well.

Sun was getting low and we knew we were in for a long night. After seeing some headlights in the distance, one of the older gentlemen went back out to the main road to get help.
It wasn't until about 9:30 that a Juab County Sheriff showed up and attempted to help, quickly finding himself stuck as well. Albeit not as bad, after about 4 hours of work, we had him free and back on firm ground.

He took my wife, our daughter, our two dogs and I back to Nephi where we could call a family member to pick us up. The two older gentlemen had refused the Sheriffs help and chose to stay behind. We left some food and water behind for them.

IMG_6464.jpg Two days later...
After resting up on Monday, I woke to a phone call on Tuesday from the Sheriff to inform me that he had sent a deputy to check on the older men left behind, who, in fact got stuck, badly. And in turn radioed for help. His backup got stuck as well and ultimately the County Road Service was called and with the help of a dozer and tractor, pulled all 4 vehicles out.
He informed me that I would be able to go out and get it but urged I do it quickly to avoid any vandalism being that it was now pulled out to the side of the trail.
IMG_6466.JPG Back on the road and on my way home. After clearing as much mud as I could (death wobble at 10mph is just so much fun) I was able to get moving pretty good and despite a filthy vehicle inside and out, all was well... at least until I got news Wednesday that one of the two old men didn't make it and passed late Tuesday night from complications due to dehydration and cardiac arrest.

It's been a tough week. Lots went wrong. Some went right, and although we ended up home safe and with our beloved JK. I never should have taken the risk, especially with my family on board. Folks knew we were out there, and we had plenty of blankets, food water and fuel. But it was a risk that just didn't justify its reward. I could have easily gone back to a town to call for help. But at that instant I didn't think that far ahead.

I received a lot of great advice and help from fiends and family and mostly, members of this forum. A few even offered to drive out from Texas and even as far away as Florida. I will never forget the support I received from all of you. And it's a call, that in the future I will answer for any of you. I thank you all for providing such a great community for me and I'm grateful to be apart of it.

My wife took a bunch more pictures than I was able, I will try and get them uploaded as an update a bit later.

Last edited:
Wow! Really glad you and your family made it home safely. Sorry to hear about the old man. [emoji17]

Was the trail itself soft like that or did all this happen off the actual trail?

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

It was off the main trail. There was an offshoot trail that looked like it went out to a natural spring. Which would explain why it was so soft in some places and hard pack in others. Really strange terrain.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Odd that the old guys accepted your help, but not help from the LEO’s? I wonder what the reason for that was?

When my daughter was younger and with me, the level of help was to call someone. Now that she is a teenager, we have helped a few stranded people as I try to teach her what it is to be a good person and pay it forward, so to speak. We have been fortunate that our experiences have been positive. Unfortunately there is always a level of risk and it’s hard to be prepared for every situation.

Fortunately, you and your family were able to get to safety! Sad to hear about one of the guys that you helped.

WJCO

Meme King
Sorry to hear, but glad you received help and that there was some learning lessons involved.

Odd that the old guys accepted your help, but not help from the LEO’s? I wonder what the reason for that was?

When my daughter was younger and with me, the level of help was to call someone. Now that she is a teenager, we have helped a few stranded people as I try to teach her what it is to be a good person and pay it forward, so to speak. We have been fortunate that our experiences have been positive. Unfortunately there is always a level of risk and it’s hard to be prepared for every situation.

Fortunately, you and your family were able to get to safety! Sad to hear about one of the guys that you helped.

It was odd. The sheriff couldn't fit all of us at once and offered to come back and they said no. Not sure why they were out there in the first place and we never got a straight answer as to why.

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
Very sorry to hear about the other man...but just know that you did all you could. Glad you and your family were able to get out safe and sound. Definitely some learning lessons.

Definitely not criticizing at all, and obviously you were that stuck as long as everyone else as well...but if you don't have a winch it might be worth investing in one. I only say this because I watched some crazy Aussie on a YouTube video bury his spare tire for a winch anchor and was able to pull out in the middle of nowhere. Again not criticizing because I'm sure it was a very stressful situation... Just trying to offer up any future suggestions.

Maxtrax is also something very handy to have and while I have never needed them I have thought about these particularly for the many people in the winter time that I stop and help because it's a lot easier than trying to pull them or winch up and get them out.

Just offering up any advice. If I were closer I would have totally come out to help. That's just how I was raised. Just glad it all worked out for the best...or at least for the majority of the people involved.

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
Very sorry to hear about the other man...but just know that you did all you could. Glad you and your family were able to get out safe and sound. Definitely some learning lessons.

Definitely not criticizing at all, and obviously you were that stuck as long as everyone else as well...but if you don't have a winch it might be worth investing in one. I only say this because I watched some crazy Aussie on a YouTube video bury his spare tire for a winch anchor and was able to pull out in the middle of nowhere. Again not criticizing because I'm sure it was a very stressful situation... Just trying to offer up any future suggestions.

Maxtrax is also something very handy to have and while I have never needed them I have thought about these particularly for the many people in the winter time that I stop and help because it's a lot easier than trying to pull them or winch up and get them out.

Just offering up any advice. If I were closer I would have totally come out to help. That's just how I was raised. Just glad it all worked out for the best...or at least for the majority of the people involved.

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I actually appreciate the input. The first thing I did when we got the jeep back was order up a winch and some proper recovery gear. I have some traction mats that will be going with me on all my adventures. I like the trick of burying a spare tire to use as an anchor. I have never thought of that. Thanks a ton for the kind words and the advice!

Ddays

Hooked
I actually appreciate the input. The first thing I did when we got the jeep back was order up a winch and some proper recovery gear. I have some traction mats that will be going with me on all my adventures. I like the trick of burying a spare tire to use as an anchor. I have never thought of that. Thanks a ton for the kind words and the advice!

Wow, glad that worked out. Sorry bout the older gentlemen too.

I realized on my first trip out west last spring that ended up forcing me up through Wyoming, that shit out there can get real serious real fast if you're not prepared. Much much different than back east. I had no issues but found myself asking "what if" a lot of times. I carry way too much shit
With me anymore because of that.

Have you looked into a winch anchor? I never did get one yet (lots of trees here) but looked at a lot of them. The ARB pull pal is really nice but $430 on Amazon? :crazyeyes:

Labricon

Caught the Bug
Happy to hear that things worked out for you and your family. Unfortunate outcome for the gents you helped.

Also got me thinking about a pull pal again and I tripped over a less expensive solution by (poorly named for this thread) Deadmanoffroad.

Basically a system to create an earth anchor when no trees, boulders etc around.

5 lbs $190 and folds up small

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Happy to hear that things worked out for you and your family. Unfortunate outcome for the gents you helped.

Also got me thinking about a pull pal again and I tripped over a less expensive solution by (poorly named for this thread) Deadmanoffroad.

Basically a system to create an earth anchor when no trees, boulders etc around.

I will check these out. I have decided that mud can kiss my ass for the foreseeable future. Aside from difficult to clean out from all the crap, it managed to cause some little issues that I have to address. Broken abs sensor, some new rattles that popped up probably from having to thrash it from pulling it out. Bent the piss out of the front bumper and broke the welds on the d-ring mounts on the bumper from being pulled out(massive fail on the part of rough country) But having the gear for the "when" and not "if" is something I learned from this.

I don’t think anyone of us would have done anything different. We have jeeps and we’ll try to get someone unstuck any day of the week especially when they’ve been stranded for days. It does sound rather sketchy though that they didn’t talk about why they were down that side road or why they didn’t want help from law enforcement, whatever their hangup was obviously wasn’t worth it in the end. Glad you made the right choices for your family and took a ride with the officer. And it’s super cool they got the road service to help you.

WJCO

Meme King

Just saw someone recently on YouTube using one of those canvas anchors that you bury. Probably the same one. Pulling a jeep uphill and it worked. Worth looking into for sure.

I appreciate all the feedback and kind words. I'm certainly not regretting helping them out and next time I will be a bit more prepared for the "getting stuck" part.

Brute

Hooked
I have a strong dislike for mud...but unfortunately you never know when your going to encounter it...I own a pull pal, and while have never used it for self recovery from mud (yet), I did use it to pull a very large rock off a steep shelf road that was the result of a slide...without it, a winch and a couple snatch blocks, we would have had to execute a dangerous backward drive down a steep incline until we found a point to turn around...not something to look forward to.

I hope it has not jaded your family to enjoying wheeling in the future...and am very glad for your outcome.

black pearl

Hooked
I'm glad you got out safe, and sorry to hear about the other guy.

I have my wife read these threads. Mainly because she thinks I'm a little nuts, with all the gear that is always in my jeep. With that said I do carry two folding traction pads , I've only used them once in snow. I also run the Risk of getting stuck on my own property, during the winter if I need to access anything in the back of the property [emoji17]Also helping people that are stuck is what we do.

Brute

Hooked
I'm glad you got out safe, and sorry to hear about the other guy.

I have my wife read these threads. Mainly because she thinks I'm a little nuts, with all the gear that is always in my jeep. With that said I do carry two folding traction pads , I've only used them once in snow. I also run the Risk of getting stuck on my own property, during the winter if I need to access anything in the back of the property [emoji17]Also helping people that are stuck is what we do.

"Also helping people that are stuck is what we do".....Roger that!

Brute

Hooked

I have an extra Pull Pal brand new in the box...you can have it for free. I'll be in the Moab area in the spring and will be driving through the Salt Lake City area...I could drop it off. If you want it sooner, you can pay for shipping from Mercer Island WA...pm me.

Top Bottom