Small wheel shimmy before and after lift

At around 40k miles with the stock rubicon tires screaming down the road at the end of their life I noticed a small shimmy in the wheel at around 50-55 mph. I figured the wheels were out of balance but did not worry because I already had the replacement 17" wheels and 35" tires waiting for the lift to be installed. After I installed the lift I had it aligned. it drove really well after the alignment compared to on the way to the shop. The only thing is I still notice is a small shimmy in the wheels at the same speed. As for parts replace I did the three and a half inch rock krawler X factor kit with all eight adjustable control arms, adjustable front and rear track bar, shocks, and springs. Could it be the new tires delivered out of balance or another stock suspension component reaching the end of its life that was not replaced during the lift.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
At 40K miles your factory ball joints might be shot. You should get them checked out.
Try balancing the tires again. Some mud tires are hard to balance out. It might take 2,3 times to balance right, also depends on the experience of the person doing the job.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have dick cpeck fun country tires they are more of an all terrain tire, and no I do not have wheel spacers. I have aftermarket wheels with 4.5 backspace. The alignment shop wanted to put in adjustable ball joints at first with measurements at -.8 Left and -.4 Right camber I said no that's not far enough out of spec. I'm sure they would have noticed if the ball joints were shot. I'm thinking about having the tires rebalance sine I order them online off tire rack, that's at least the cheapest solution.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I have dick cpeck fun country tires they are more of an all terrain tire, and no I do not have wheel spacers. I have aftermarket wheels with 4.5 backspace. The alignment shop wanted to put in adjustable ball joints at first with measurements at -.8 Left and -.4 Right camber I said no that's not far enough out of spec. I'm sure they would have noticed if the ball joints were shot. I'm thinking about having the tires rebalance sine I order them online off tire rack, that's at least the cheapest solution.

I would have to agree try the rebalance.

WJCO

Meme King
With vehicle running and in park, have someone turn steering wheel back and forth while you watch for play in tie rods, drag link, and track bar ends. Any one of those parts being loose would cause a shimmy as well.

I would have to agree try the rebalance.

I had them rebalanced today and they said they were off considerably. One of the tires I had to warranty because they said they could not balance it. So I switched it to the spare until it can be replaced. Not sure if that solved the problem due to all the traffic and slow speeds on the way home but it's a start.

Finally drove the vehicle after the rebalance, seems to have the slight shake still, checked the new track bar torque remained at 130 ft lbs. I looked under the vehicle while the wheels were turned and didn’t see any loose parts. Any other ideas out there.

Skeeterbait

look on youtube for Planman. He has two videos on deathwobble. But it shows how to check all the parts WJCO was talking about. Its not so much looking for movement but feeling it.

WJCO

Meme King
look on youtube for Planman. He has two videos on deathwobble. But it shows how to check all the parts WJCO was talking about. Its not so much looking for movement but feeling it.

Planman has a couple really good write-ups as well if you'd prefer to read instead of watch. Just search his name and the issues you're having

Not sure who Planman is, but we also have a good write-up right here on the foum:

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...s-What-it-isn-t-and-What-You-Can-Do-to-Fix-it

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Lol, he's just got a bunch of really detailed write-ups on another site for a bunch of different isues. His dw write up has been really helpful to a lot of people. I should have realized wayalife already has a bunch of fantastic write-ups as well.

You'll forgive me but installing a bigger bolt to address death wobble is far from being good information or helpful for that matter but I digress. In case you missed it, this is my site and out of respect for me if nothing else, I'd be grateful if you could please refrain from encouraging people to seek out write-ups on "another site". Thank you.

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
You'll forgive me but installing a bigger bolt to address death wobble is far from being good information or helpful for that matter but I digress. In case you missed it, this is my site and out of respect for me if nothing else, I'd be grateful if you could please refrain from encouraging people to seek out write-ups on "another site". Thank you.
Sorry Eddie, I wasn't trying to be a problem or in anyway detract from the fantastic resource that wayalife is. I've deleted all my posts in this thread and I won't make the same mistake again.

Top Bottom