Easy Trail Meals and Snacks

WJCO

Meme King
Let's see some EASY and CONVINIENT trail meals. Here's one that we started doing recently. We call it homemade lunchables. It's probably healthier and we already have the stuff at home. Just add a cardboard juice box and it's good to go.

IMG_20171104_084658_816.jpg

longarmwj

If I'm on the trail for an extended period of time I'll pack a cooler of water and soft drinks, but I'll get a couple of bags of beef jerky. You can find locally made beef jerky from small farms around Georgia in most gas stations around here, and it beats the snot out of Jack Links or any big name brand.

Fried peanuts are good also. You can also find those in most gas stations around here. They have regular salted and garlic. The garlic are the best, and when you fry peanuts the shells become so soft that you can easily eat them.

If we are camping, I have a tiny charcoal grill a friend of mine made out of an old air tank, and I will take tin foil, frozen shrimp, lemon, salt, pepper, olive oil, garlic, and tequila and make "flame broiled" tequila lemon shrimp. God its good

BobNH

Cooler of water, peanut based snacks (trail mix, payday, etc.) and beef jerky.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

For just a day trip. Wife and I, are good with a few bottles of water if we eat a decent breakfast. This is key for the kid. A solid hot breakfast and she’s good.
We still tend to overpack though. Cold cuts, fruit, junk snacks and more water that we usually don’t even touch.

That being said. We always have a few Mountain House packs and a jet boil in the Jeep. Just in case..

Forgot to mention my hiking food. It kinda applies to this thread.

Greenbelly meal bars. Not cheap but they do a great job at actually making you feel satisfied if you drink plenty of water. It is a true meal replacement.
Probar’s. Love these things. Great snacks but they are too sweet and you have to be in the mood for sweets and plenty of water.
Probar chews. Caffeine and sugar. Last resort when I’m trying to avoid bonking out and when I can’t stomach a bar. They work...

Mountain House or salami and cheese and tortillas for most dinners. Mountain House usually wins out because there is just something about a hot meal. IMG_7262.JPG .

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
Almonds. Trail mix. Granola bars. Chips. Cookies. All great snacks.

As far as meals. With the fridge, pre cooked chicken strips are bomb on the trail. I also almost always take some lunch meat, cheese, and crackers. Fruit is good to have on hand.

Always take plenty of water, sports drinks, canned ice tea, and some caffeine drinks of some type.

G-mansjk

Beer, water, jerky and burritos wrapped in foil tucked into the manifold has always been my favorite... throw those suckers on and leave them for a few hours while hitting trials and they come nice and crispy

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

G-mansjk

Also tried precooked ribs once ... it was amazing but when the foil tears and spills bbq sauce all over the block it suck because you'll get hungry every time you drive for a month or so haha

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
If I'm doing a multiple day trip, I'll grill a steak or double cut pork chop on an open fire (if allowed) and some precut veggies like yellow squash or broccoli rabe with garlic & fresh thyme & butter wrapped in foil the first day...then I'll vacuum bag several meals and freeze like black eyed peas & smoked ham shank or beef stew etc, throw them in a pot of boiling water on the jet boil for minimal clean up...snack on Cliff bars, jerky & fresh fruit during the day...

CharlesC

We will stop and get chicken and chips before heading to the trail and throw it in the cooler along with drinks for a day trip. Cold chicken! Can't beat it. -
Over night though, we will make hamburger steaks with carrots onions and mushrooms wrapped in foil. Get to camp and throw them on the camp fire, good to go! We call them "hobo sacks"[emoji23].
Looking at these jet boils[emoji848], would be nice when it's too late and don't want to make a camp fire to heat 'em up, that would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
We usually bring smucker pb&j or make your own and freeze them. Freezing caprisuns and such help keep things cool. If you get a stove or jetboil, mountain houses are nice and good.

naysjp

Water and gatorade for fluids. Gingerale or so sometimes but really try to not bring sodas so that I am just drinking water and or electrolytes while out in the desert. I like precut fruit like honeydew, watermelon, cantelope or grapes, yogurt, string cheese, boiled eggs.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Easy is usually the following,

Chicken strips
Chips or triskets (tomato basil are the best)
Peanuts
Cheese and salami
Waters

If we are camping it is usually much more than that from taco bar to steaks and baked potatoes to whatever else you can think of really.

Jsouder53

Hooked
We typically have our cooler stocked with water, Gatorade and Mountain Dew. Can’t go without ritz crackers and beef jerky on the trail. For our meals we usually have quesadillas or pasta on our camp stove

Jsouder53

Hooked
Make burritos at home, wrap them in foil and throw them on the intake manifold about 30 minutes before you want to eat them. Heard of people doing this with more than just burritos (like pizza) but not sure I would trust it to cook things properly.

Ran in to this while looking at the SEMA coverage and am thinking about getting one:
https://www.blackforestgear.com/fridge-freezers/trail-oven-5011911a

That’s genius!

Top Bottom