8+ Hour Road Trip on 37’s

Hey guys a buddy and I are looking to head off this weekend to Arkansas, around the Fayetteville area. We are either going to take his 80’s VW vanagon or my Jeep if his van is not going to be completely road worthy. My questions to you guys are 1. What all do I need to bring? 2. Is there anything I should do, (pre-travel maintenance besides an oil change)? 3. What are some cool scenic places? (Maybe some light to moderate off road trails)

Any help is welcomed!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I drive my JK's running 40's all across the county and have put in plenty of 14+ hour days. Unless there's something I'm missing, you should just get in your Jeep and go :cool:

rogerk93

I️ am driving my Jeep to Florida from ny that’s a 17+ hour drive and I’m on 40’s. All I️ did was a oil change on it and that’s because it was just about due. I️ would make sure your fluid levels are good and tire pressure other than that if there is nothing wrong with your Jeep you should be good to go.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
What all do I need to bring?

I would recommend bringing the essentials such as first aid kit, extra food, extra water, recovery gear, any medications you normally take, etc.

One thing to also think about, given this time of year and the weather, bring a camping stove, extra clothing and a cellular phone. The critical thing is that if you get stuck, you will want a way to stay alive for a few weeks. Make sure that someone else has an idea of where you will be and if you do get into a survival situation, please please please, stay with your vehicle. Forgive me for the Search and Rescue speech, my apologies.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Bring a credit card for all the gas you’re going to burn on those 37s. [emoji23]

zimm

Caught the Bug
I just did 5000 miles Miami-Moab-Miami. Make sure your oil is full, and just fill the tank. I get 200 miles per fill up depending on speed. 75mph costs me about 12mpg, slowing down to 60, I get 14-ish.

8 hour trip is nothing we travel on trips that are 15+ hours and the are mainly mountainous terrain and windy roads and we also travel across the country i get about 18 mpg and about 350-400 a tank and also my jeep is chipped and i have eco mode enabled on my chip. Make sure all your fluids are full, u have a emergency kit and a emergency jeep kit(Oil,Trans Fluid,Hoses,Belts,Zip ties,Tools,Etc), have dry emergency foods and blankets and extra clothes and u should be good.

Brute

Hooked
I drive my JK's running 40's all across the county and have put in plenty of 14+ hour days. Unless there's something I'm missing, you should just get in your Jeep and go :cool:

I've done multiple LD road trips in both the Brute & JK6....if I'm traveling alone, I limit my driving to 10 hour days...

I would recommend bringing the essentials such as first aid kit, extra food, extra water, recovery gear, any medications you normally take, etc.

One thing to also think about, given this time of year and the weather, bring a camping stove, extra clothing and a cellular phone. The critical thing is that if you get stuck, you will want a way to stay alive for a few weeks. Make sure that someone else has an idea of where you will be and if you do get into a survival situation, please please please, stay with your vehicle. Forgive me for the Search and Rescue speech, my apologies.

In the winter, I bring the above and if I'm alone I'll bring the sleeping bag...I always carry one heavy wool blanket per person...and a small jet boil to heat water (if you get stuck in the middle of nowhere, and run out of gas to heat the cab, your spare water could freeze overnight)...

If you end up taking the VW be sure to pack a spare motor. 😂

My first car was a 68 VW bus...and it did break down once driving from MA to NJ on Thanksgiving day in 1975...nothing was open, and boy am I glad I had a sleeping bag with me when I slept in it that night somewhere in Connecticut...
--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

BaddestCross

My first car was a 68 VW bus...and it did break down once driving from MA to NJ on Thanksgiving day in 1975...nothing was open, and boy am I glad I had a sleeping bag with me when I slept in it that night somewhere in Connecticut...

Yeah, that's what led me to my comment... My brother-in-law and his buddy took a road trip in their '68 busses and both of them blew their motors. Apparently it was a common thing because they kept rebuild kits in the vans and rebuilt them on the side of the road. 😂

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Judesign

Caught the Bug
Just pack smart and regular vehicle maintenance. Nothing particular for 37s I can think of. We went from Texas to Colorado to Moab and back to Texas and I’m always surprised how good a jk is on the highway (compared to older models) and how capable it is on the trail.

I forgot to do an update of the trip! Everything worked perfectly for the most part! I need to figure out a way to either stiffen up my steering or something to make it so my Jeep doesn’t sway so much when driving in the wind. Any ideas are welcome. Also I did not expect to stop for gas as much as I did which makes me want a diesel swap a little more than an LS right now.

Top Bottom