Por-15?

TJLYF

Hey guys,

Brand new to the forum here as of today. Picked up a great condition, 2005 TJ with extremely low mileage. I am looking to keep it that way, best I can.

Anyone have any experience with POR-15? The gentleman I bought the Jeep from recommended that I coat the undercarriage with it. FYI- this will be a shop doing the work, not me.

What are your opinions on this type of coating? Preventing rust is the goal.

Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
POR15 works great on rusty metal. If yours doesn't have much it or any at all, it won't do a whole lot for you.

POR15 works great on rusty metal. If yours doesn't have much it or any at all, it won't do a whole lot for you.
Is there an issue with adhesion? Por-15 says it can be used as a rust preventive coating as well as for repair unless I’m missing something? I’m from Michigan so I don’t have that problem of not having enough rust for it to work lol

Also check out Eastwood chassis saver, a friend runs a commercial plow and salting company and they completely undercoat everything with it, floorboards, axles, suspension, everything, and swear by it, even in extreme conditions claims it saves their trucks. No personal experience with that one yet.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is there an issue with adhesion? Por-15 says it can be used as a rust preventive coating as well as for repair unless I’m missing something? I’m from Michigan so I don’t have that problem of not having enough rust for it to work lol

Also check out Eastwood chassis saver, a friend runs a commercial plow and salting company and they completely undercoat everything with it, floorboards, axles, suspension, everything, and swear by it, even in extreme conditions claims it saves their trucks. No personal experience with that one yet.

Yes, adhesion is the issue. POR15 dries like plastic and if it doesn't have a rough surface to cling to, it can chip and peel off.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I agree with Eddie.

Does your undercarriage have a lot of rust? A few pictures will allow people to give you a better based recommendation.

I’ve used POR-15 several times since 2005 on a few different rusty vehicles and surfaces with good results. Surface preparation matters a lot in how it will adhere to the metal’s surface. Make sure the shop removes the loose surface rust and that they use Metal Ready (same makers’ of POR-15) product before applying the POR-15.

Please note that POR-15 does not have any UV stabilizers in it, and if it will be exposed to direct sunlight, it should be top coated with a POR-15 top coat paint.

TJLYF

Thanks for the responses, guys. Just snapped a few quick pictures for you. To me, there just appears to be surface rust beginning (with a patch here or there). Take a look, what do you think? Based on the responses so far, I think the Jeep is a decent candidate? IMG_3488.JPG IMG_3489.JPG IMG_3490.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Breer

Caught the Bug
I coated the frame of my CJ5 in POR 15. The areas that didn't have much rust had adhesion issues. The paint just chips off. It took a lot of metal ready (etching) to get it to stick.

It's a great product and is extremely tough, just make sure it's needed as others have stated. This is what the underside of my CJ5 looked like when I started and why I used POR 15. IMG_4181.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
The rust in your pictures don’t look too bad. Much better than most Jeeps from northern regions.

I would certainly prep and preserve the surface were the rust is and the spots where it is developing. You could use POR-15 on the rusty areas, but it may look “spotty”. Since the rust really isn’t that bad and seems to be in a few areas, you could use a Rustoleum or another type of paint & primer single coat paint over all of the surfaces (rusty and smooth) so it looks uniform. Either way you need to ensure the rust is encapsulated and stops progressing before it becomes a cancer.

Maniacal

I was in the same boat as you trying to decide what was best to use. Searching the web for reviews on different products to take care of rust and got me even more unsure what to use. Some people love por-15 and others down right hate it. The rust I had seemed a little worse then yours but I finally went with a rust converter. I brushed it on myself to save money then just went over it with a black acrylic implement paint. Took a weekend but money saved from doing it myself bought plenty of beer for the job. Seems to be holding up pretty well so far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom