New 18 mile rock crawling trail in Central Oregon near Bend / Prineville

OutlawJoeyWales

I reached out to the forest service with a few questions about the trail. Here are a few of the questions I had answered.

1. See attached directions to trail head.

2. We are working on a map for the area but the official map will probably not be available until next spring. I have printed a few temporary maps and we try and keep them available in the staging area. It is a ways out there and our crew is getting smaller as the season changes from fall to winter.

3. Keep in mind though that this area is at an elevation that ranges from 4500 feet to 5800 feet and getting to Rim Butte from LaPine on Finley Butte Rd, you go over a pass that is also at about 5800 feet.

WJCO

Meme King
Don't take this the wrong way, but the more you post specific details about this new location on the open Internet, the sooner it will get trashed and fucked up by a bunch of disrespectful people. It happens EVERYWHERE.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Don't take this the wrong way, but the more you post specific details about this location on the open Internet, the sooner it will get trashed and fucked up by a bunch of disrespectful people. It happens EVERYWHERE.

I'd have to agree. I mean, I think it's great that there's this new trail out there and I hope I get to run it someday but broadcasting it on the internet is probably the best way to get it shut down. Sucks for sure but it is what I have seen over the years.

Please see our rules regarding this:
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...S-Coordinates-or-Trail-Directions-on-WAYALIFE

OutlawJoeyWales

Good to know. I've been in the Mt. Bike world for the past few decades and help support the local trail builders at work parties, learning a fair amount in the process.

In the Mt. Bike world they aren't that secretive, unless they are pirate trails because those cause problems. In fact they have amazing GPS apps like TrailForks that show you all the trails in your area with 5ft accuracy. I do know getting new trails built through the Forest Service and BLM can take 5-10 years, the more remote the trail the less likely it will be approved. A lot of the existing Mt. Bike trails were grandfathered in from the last few decades, with new trails much harder to get approval for. In the Mt. Bike world we are lucky as often times trail work parties are huge allowing us to keep the trails clean by fixing drainage issues, repair blown out trail, remove pirate features and block off areas of expanding trail footprint. When I Mt. Bike now I will stop on a trail and quickly move logs around to block things off or do minor trail repairs when it makes sense. I would suggest to anyone to do a few trail volunteer days, learn how trail builders see the trail so you can do little things to help maintain the trail when your out there - it doesn't take a lot of time.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Good to know. I've been in the Mt. Bike world for the past few decades and help support the local trail builders at work parties, learning a fair amount in the process.

In the Mt. Bike world they aren't that secretive, unless they are pirate trails because those cause problems. In fact they have amazing GPS apps like TrailForks that show you all the trails in your area with 5ft accuracy. I do know getting new trails built through the Forest Service and BLM can take 5-10 years, the more remote the trail the less likely it will be approved. A lot of the existing Mt. Bike trails were grandfathered in from the last few decades, with new trails much harder to get approval for. In the Mt. Bike world we are lucky as often times trail work parties are huge allowing us to keep the trails clean by fixing drainage issues, repair blown out trail, remove pirate features and block off areas of expanding trail footprint. When I Mt. Bike now I will stop on a trail and quickly move logs around to block things off or do minor trail repairs when it makes sense. I would suggest to anyone to do a few trail volunteer days, learn how trail builders see the trail so you can do little things to help maintain the trail when your out there - it doesn't take a lot of time.

Never suggested that you weren't some kind of boy scout when it comes to trails and you're kinda full of yourself if you really think that people on here don't do what they can to help maintain them. Because you seemed to have missed it, we're just trying to help protect your new trail. Unlike you, some of us have just seen way too many trails get destroyed and eventually closed do to a few yahoos ruining it for everyone else. The easier you make it for them to find, the sooner it will get trashed.

With that said, I'd be grateful if you could just please abide by our rules.

Actually those apps suck for the same reasons already mentioned. Locally the internet pretty much ruined tons of great spots.

I think it’s great you help with trail maintenance but that doesn’t change the fact you missed the point.

Top Bottom