Water ingress, rear storage areas, hard top 2008 jkr

BobNH

I couldn't find anything searching, so I figured I woud ask here.
I noticed today that my jack storage area, and the other under carpet storage, both at the rear, had water pooled in them. A lot. I have some minor streaking on the rear window, but not what I would say can account for this much water. We had some pretty torrential rains recently, but I have noticed dampness back there before.
Anyone have experience with this and can point me in a direction to look? Temps of course now in the 30's so not looking to tear it completely down to find it.
I popped the plugs and drained them, but the jack is a bit of a mess now, unfortunately.
Thanks for any help.
Bob

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

WJCO

Meme King
Same thing with ours. We didn't even notice it until we were pulling the carpet when we did the Bedliner. By the looks of it, it had been there awhile. Don't know how it got in there.

BobNH

Thanks for the input gents. No doubt this is yet another one that will go on the list of "features" lol.
Have a couple sheets of pig mat in each section now, so we'll see how they work. Drains worked a charm though. I used the drains on my TJ once and the hole ended up three times bigger than the plug thanks to the rust that was apparently all it was surrounded with.

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
I had it happen but it was because of having the top of. I got caught in a decent rain on the way home from work. In all honesty I didn't even realize it was in there until about 4 weeks later when I already had put the top back on. I went to grab something out of the storage compartment and it was soaked. I coated the jack and tire iron in WD-40 and it cleaned right up.

BobNH

Looks like I have some work to do lol. Chasing down leaks is the worst. I did silicone all my seals a few times since buying it last year. Have to check the bolts holding the hard top down, maybe they loosened a bit through use.
Thanks again everyone.

jeeeep

Hooked
there are a couple of areas where water can leak into the rear storage.

if the rubber seal around the hatch is cracked/torn or the foam is missing/bunched up where the glass meets the door and/or the rear fenders.

when I pulled my fenders off there were a couple of the clips that had a washer around them - 1 towards the front and 1 toward the rear, both sides. Holes on the newer models I believe are now covered in butyl foil tape or foam

I thought they were there as noise insulation and turns out they are there to keep water out.

If the washer towards the front is missing the water flows forward under the passenger carpet, if the washer towards the rear is missing the water flows into the storage bin.

I figured this out when I had pulled my fenders off to repaint them and decided to wash and wax my Jeep.

BobNH

there are a couple of areas where water can leak into the rear storage.

if the rubber seal around the hatch is cracked/torn or the foam is missing/bunched up where the glass meets the door and/or the rear fenders.

when I pulled my fenders off there were a couple of the clips that had a washer around them - 1 towards the front and 1 toward the rear, both sides. Holes on the newer models I believe are now covered in butyl foil tape or foam

I thought they were there as noise insulation and turns out they are there to keep water out.

If the washer towards the front is missing the water flows forward under the passenger carpet, if the washer towards the rear is missing the water flows into the storage bin.

I figured this out when I had pulled my fenders off to repaint them and decided to wash and wax my Jeep.
Interesting. A month or so ago I noticed my drivers side rear inner liner was rattling a bit, I wonder if there's a connection.

JDDK

also, hit the rear wiper spray. connection could be leaking and water making its way down to the jack area.

Jacalore

I've been fighting this wet rear storage area problem all year. Found all my rescue straps, shovel, etc covered in a furry mess early summer. Mold from the water. Cleaned it all up, thought maybe it was from regular rinse-downs (back from the beach), so I made sure not to use alotta pressure rinsing that area. Just checked, the entire compartment is wet again, and everything in it.

Couple clues, tho... outside the compartent on the left side is damp, right side is dry. So, I guess that's where the water is coming from. Also the metal was wet under the carpet on the left side, dry on the right. Can't find the cause tho...

WJCO

Meme King
It's tight, but if you yourself get in there with a flashlight and have someone else spray off the top one area at a time, once you see water leaking around the trim/floor, you'll at least know the general area where water is coming in. Water leaks are a pain in the ass to find. I've seen manufacturers buy back entire vehicles due to dealers not being able to fix water leaks. Hell, that's what happened to AllAmericanInfidel here on the forum.

Top Bottom