A Place Where Faith in Humanity Still Exists

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
20171106130514-8b1bd4e2.jpg

A few weeks ago, Cindy and I were out exploring the vast Nevada desert and pulled into Crystal, a small unincorporated town without a store, gas station or even a post office but is home to two different brothels and the Short Branch Saloon. Saddling up to the bar, we discovered we were the only patrons there and so we took some time to acquaint ourselves with Miss Kathy, the 70 years young owner of the Short Branch and one hell of a firecracker of a woman.

It was only until after we ordered up some whiskeys along with a couple of her famous meatloaf sandwiches that I realized I may not have any cash. Knowing that a place like this most likely didn't take credit cards, I quickly scanned the room for an ATM machine and as luck would have it, there was one over by the door, although, it didn't appear to be working. When I ask if I could have it turned on so that I could withdraw some cash, Miss Kathy began telling me about how the County made her shut it down due to the fact that it didn't have braille on the keys and therefore was inaccessible to the blind - "as if blind people would come all the way out to Crystal, Nevada and need to get cash, right"? Just as she was finishing her story, she paused for a moment and asked - "exactly how much money do you have"? Embarrassed to open up my wallet, I revealed two wrinkled $1 bills tucked inside of it and upon seeing this, she folded up her arms and said with a enthusiastic smile, "you can pay me the next time you stop by". When I explained how I might be able to run back to the closest town, get some cash and then come back... she just laughed and said, there wasn't any need for that - she "trusted me." Me - a guy she just met, someone who's never stepped foot in her establishment before, someone she had no clue as to where I lived or when I would be back in the area if ever again - she, "trusted".

Leaving us speechless, Miss Kathy began humming a tune as she made her way back into the kitchen and as we sat at the bar feeling a little silly, a new guy walked in and sat a few stools down from us. Returning with our sandwiches, Miss Kathy began exchanging pleasantries with her new customer and after placing his order, he asked the proverbial question that I think we all saw coming, "do you take credit cards"?

In a day and age where it's all about ME and trust in others is in short supply, it's hard to believe there's still a place where faith in humanity still exists. It's even harder to believe that it'd be found in the middle of the desert, in a town of debauchery and inside a watering hole known as, the Short Branch Saloon.

20171106130731-15bf8248-me.jpg

CHEERS! :cool:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
A few weeks ago, Cindy and I were out exploring the vast Nevada desert and pulled into Crystal, a small unincorporated town without a store, gas station or even a post office but is home to two different brothels and the Short Branch Saloon. Saddling up to the bar, we discovered we were the only patrons there and so we took some time to acquaint ourselves with Miss Kathy, the 70 years young owner of the Short Branch and one hell of a firecracker of a woman.

It was only until after we ordered up some whiskeys along with a couple of her famous meatloaf sandwiches that I realized I may not have any cash. Knowing that a place like this most likely didn't take credit cards, I quickly scanned the room for an ATM machine and as luck would have it, there was one over by the door, although, it didn't appear to be working. When I ask if I could have it turned on so that I could withdraw some cash, Miss Kathy began telling me about how the County made her shut it down due to the fact that it didn't have braille on the keys and therefore was inaccessible to the blind - "as if blind people would come all the way out to Crystal, Nevada and need to get cash, right"? Just as she was finishing her story, she paused for a moment and asked - "exactly how much money do you have"? Embarrassed to open up my wallet, I revealed two wrinkled $1 bills tucked inside of it and upon seeing this, she folded up her arms and said with a enthusiastic smile, "you can pay me the next time you stop by". When I explained how I might be able to run back to the closest town, get some cash and then come back... she just laughed and said, there wasn't any need for that - she "trusted me." Me - a guy she just met, someone who's never stepped foot in her establishment before, someone she had no clue as to where I lived or when I would be back in the area if ever again - she, "trusted".

Leaving us speechless, Miss Kathy began humming a tune as she made her way back into the kitchen and as we sat at the bar feeling a little silly, a new guy walked in and sat a few stools down from us. Returning with our sandwiches, Miss Kathy began exchanging pleasantries with her new customer and after placing his order, he asked the proverbial question that I think we all saw coming, "do you take credit cards"?

In a day and age where it's all about ME and trust in others is in short supply, it's hard to believe there's still a place where faith in humanity still exists. It's even harder to believe that it'd be found in the middle of the desert, in a town of debauchery and inside a watering hole known as, the Short Branch Saloon.

CHEERS! :cool:
That's a great story. That put a smile on my face. Its refreshing to know there are people like her, because most of the people you meet, give you the opposite impression.

OJK12

That’s a great story right there. I know I myself have been caught without cash thinking oh I hope they take a card! My wife and I never carry cash anymore and there’s such a weird feeling when you come upon a place that you can’t pay for something even though you have the funds just not in physical form. I’m gonna have to get one of those small lock boxes to keep just a lil cash in for emergencies just like this.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

She sounds like a good person. You must look trustworthy! To my fault I trust people until they screw my business, then it’s too late, but at least I’m the one sleeping at night. I think as long as you treat fellow man like you would like to be treated you won’t want for things, needs are always covered

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's a great story. That put a smile on my face. Its refreshing to know there are people like her, because most of the people you meet, give you the opposite impression.

I've been wanting to share this awesome story ever since it happened but got busy with work. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :cool:

That’s a great story right there. I know I myself have been caught without cash thinking oh I hope they take a card! My wife and I never carry cash anymore and there’s such a weird feeling when you come upon a place that you can’t pay for something even though you have the funds just not in physical form. I’m gonna have to get one of those small lock boxes to keep just a lil cash in for emergencies just like this.

Like you, I rarely carry cash with me anymore if only because it's so much easier to keep a track of my expenses with a credit card. That being said, I knew better and should have had cash on me like I always do when exploring Nevada. Rookie move on my behalf and like you, I might need to carry some just in case funds in my Tuffy box. :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
She sounds like a good person. You must look trustworthy! To my fault I trust people until they screw my business, then it’s too late, but at least I’m the one sleeping at night. I think as long as you treat fellow man like you would like to be treated you won’t want for things, needs are always covered

Miss Kathy is awesome. Visited Crystal for her 50th birthday and never left. She's tough as nails, politically incorrect and funny as hell. Super sweet lady and I hope she's there a long time to come :yup:

Cool story! (I’m pretty sure I would have had to wash dishes)

:cheesy:

Pika

I've been wanting to share this awesome story ever since it happened but got busy with work. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :cool:

Like you, I rarely carry cash with me anymore if only because it's so much easier to keep a track of my expenses with a credit card. That being said, I knew better and should have had cash on me like I always do when exploring Nevada. Rookie move on my behalf and like you, I might need to carry some just in case funds in my Tuffy box. :crazyeyes:

Cash?!? My Jeep ate it! Good story, great times!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Love it. Some of these tiny desolate desert towns are true hidden gems.

They are my favorite :yup:

Cash?!? My Jeep ate it! Good story, great times!!

:cheesy: So true :crazyeyes:

That’s a great story, knowing you I’m sure you’ll make your way back through there sometime soon!

Actually, we ended up driving back to the closest real town, got cash and came back to pay for us and for the guy who was sitting next to us. :yup:

longarmwj

Actually, we ended up driving back to the closest real town, got cash and came back to pay for us and for the guy who was sitting next to us. :yup:

Sounds like humanity exists in not only the Short Branch Saloon, but in the Oh household as well. Very very classy move Eddie and I'm sure he appreciated the gesture very much :thumb:

I've found myself doing more things like that recently. Giving back to and helping people who can't always help themselves is a great feeling :yup:

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Awesome! Years ago I went to a place called High Plains Homestead in Nebraska. We wanted to stay but at the time they were booked. We went there because of the famous Indian tacos. So we settled on a very nice lunch After we ate I told the lady that we wanted to stay there but they have no rooms. She said you're in luck we do have one it's open if you want to check out. We told her absolutely we will stay here but we have to go back into town get out of a Super 8 we were in. Which was very nasty by the way. When it was time to pay for lunch we offered to put money down for room too. This place is way out there in the middle of nowhere by Toadstool National Park. She said no worries we can pay for the room and lunch when we come back. We ended up having an awesome steak dinner that evening and breakfast the next day. One night stay and three meals cost us $150.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Sounds like humanity exists in not only the Short Branch Saloon, but in the Oh household as well. Very very classy move Eddie and I'm sure he appreciated the gesture very much :thumb:

I've found myself doing more things like that recently. Giving back to and helping people who can't always help themselves is a great feeling :yup:

Little things, like that do you a lot of good.

benatc1

Hooked
They are my favorite :yup:

:cheesy: So true :crazyeyes:

That’s Awesome! reminds me of that free loading meal instagram post in the I hate eddie thread. [emoji1304]

Trail Bud

Hooked
Great story of the good old days, but it’s today! Refreshing with what’s going on today.
I want to see the meat loaf sandwich.

It seems like now and days u have to go to decilation or towns far out to find people like that glad u were able to visit with her and me to i rarley keep cash on me and if i do it's in small amounts but i do keep a undisclosed amount in my security box under the seat along with my 9mm.

Top Bottom