Ball Joint Plug

ak49

Recent trip had the lower ball joint zerk broke/ripped out. Upon closer look, it looks like the thread in the plug (for the zerk) is also shot. Can the lower plug (DA60-3050-D) be replaced as it sits or will I have to remove the knuckle.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Interested in this as well. If you are talking about the lower ball joint needle zerk. I have one that will take grease, but the ball doesn't seal so most of the grease comes right back out the hole.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

ak49

Interested in this as well. If you are talking about the lower ball joint needle zerk. I have one that will take grease, but the ball doesn't seal so most of the grease comes right back out the hole.

The zerk will not even stay in the plug. I'm talking about the zerk at the very bottom, not the needle zerk on the side. I'll take a picture tomorrow and post it.

RSQCON

Hopefully Dynatrac will chime in here with their stance on it.

I spoke with them at the Off-Road Expo in Pomona last month because I'm in the same boat. They said this is VERY COMMON due to the wheel offset and they just use an easy out and replace with a new zero. I asked about replacing with a needle zerk and of course as long as it's the same thread pitch you're gtg. Jim told me that they pack them full of grease and that you'd be lucky to get any inside the ballpoint to begin with.

Like you ak49 I've also considered a plug or set screw but just haven't had the time to figure out the thread pitch and order anything yet.

WJCO

Meme King
I want to see the pictures on this. My first thought was an easy-out to remove it, but not sure how it's broken off in there.

ak49

I'll post up pics tonight after work. The zerk is not broke off inside. It looks like it tore the threads out of the plug. I can put a new zerk in the plug without screwing it in. I think my only option is a new plug or like was said before drill it to the next size zerk. If I can just replace the plug as it sits I'd rather do that.

Sorry to hear you had this issue. Please post some pics so we can see exactly your situation. Then we can try and find the best solution.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Recent trip had the lower ball joint zerk broke/ripped out. Upon closer look, it looks like the thread in the plug (for the zerk) is also shot. Can the lower plug (DA60-3050-D) be replaced as it sits or will I have to remove the knuckle.

Oh, one of the many downfalls of running wheels with too little back spacing. You should be able to remove it with ease. Would make it a lot easier to try to drill out and tap it as well.

Nevermind the pictures, please go ahead and give us a call 714-421-4314 so one of our techs can work with you to get this issue resolved.

RSQCON

Dynatrac can you please confirm the thread size and pitch for replacement zerks

Disregard. For any needing to replace their lower ball joint zerks per an email correspondence with Dynatrac they are 1/4x28 and they use Red Timken synthetic wheel bearing/suspension grease

Last edited:

JKbrick

Dynatrac can you please confirm the thread size and pitch for replacement zerks

Disregard. For any needing to replace their lower ball joint zerks per an email correspondence with Dynatrac they are 1/4x28 and they use Red Timken synthetic wheel bearing/suspension grease

That’s what I posted on the 13th

jeeeep

Hooked
Dynatrac lower ball joint zerk

anyone know what size the Dynatrac lower ball joint zerk fitting is?

I thought there was a post about it but my forum search skills have failed me

Top Bottom