Resurrecting a ZJ

TRLJNKY

1510450293105.jpg

Picked up a 96 ZJ a lil while back for $800 and man its turned into a project. It ran (not very well) but needed a radiator and hoses right away. My daughter gets her permit this month and thought it would make a good first car for her. Shes already planning on doing upgrades to it when she has the money. Dads job is just to get it running and make sure its safe operationally.

Damn thing is going to a brand used Jeep when Im done lol. Belts, hoses, and radiator are done and now jumping into the driveability issues. New plugs, wires, cap and rotor are in. Running a code P0171 for bank 1 lean. Scoped the 02 sensors and checked the fuel trims. Was hoping for something simple but nope. Ran a fuel pressure test and walla 27psi. Need 49ish. So sounds like I will be dumping another $250 for a pump. I have also fixed the valve cover and dropped/resealed the tcase due to a rear trans output seal leaking like a bastard. It definetly needs rear rotor and pads but Im now seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Hindsight I could picked one up for about $1500-$2000 grand in much better shape but wheres the fun in that. Resurection in process instead.

Luckily, there is a pick n pull close by and I was able to find two complete doors for $100. Someone keyed both passengers and the door panels were pretty beat up. Couldnt believe I was able to find exact color and trim matches at the wrecking yard with decent door panels to boot. I still need to find a driver door or decent panel and the cosmetic side will be complete. Im buying new carpet to put in it as the old carpet was hammered.

Long story short for those that are interested is thanks to Wayalife and my JK my daughter caught the bug. She has been excited watching her ZJ come to life right before her eyes. Occasionally, she gets dirty and trys to help and as a father I think is awesome. Those that know me know that not a lot of attention gets thrown at my JK (im always the run watcha brung guy trying to keep up) and this is one of the reasons why. Time and money are going to this and Ive also picked up a 92 XJ for my son (he did the Rubicon with WAL last year and loved it). Its awesome to be able to spend time with the kids and teach them to build/repair for sure. Of course my wife rolls her eyes as Im always out in the garage [emoji1]. Anyway, thought Id share this lil resurection story for those that were interested.

TRLJNKY

Thank you everyone. Although newer and in a league of its own, WJCO's WJ served as inspiration. I never paid much attention GC's in the past but we have been paying more and more attention to the few decent builds we see running around town. Yes, there are a ton of beat up and abused ZJ's for sure and this was no exception. Goal is to give her a decent and safe platform that she can work toward whatever it is she wants to do with it.
Awesome post and way cool of you! [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Thank you. A far cry from you and Cindy's awesome old iron rebirths but still a cool to see come back around.
Very cool project! Awesome that you get to work on it with your daughter!

Very cool!

Nice, great deal. Should be a fun project. Your daughter will love it

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Cool find and glad you're having fun with it.

It seems like ZJs get a ton of abuse and neglect. I have definitely seen a few sweet built ZJs around me. Should come out Nice!

Sent from my SM-N950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom