Why I run a snorkel on my JK

wjtstudios

Hooked
Running point on trails on at Bundy Hill a couple of weeks we came upon this unassuming puddle that swallowed my JK. It is 54” to the top of my hood. According to my buddy behind who didn’t have his GoPro running, the entire jeep was up to the windows in the water hole. Thank goodness it was a quick in and out. My dash came caught it. Here’s the video of it.

About an hour later, I had to winch a WJ out that had atleast got his engine up and out, but the whole back of the Jeep was full of water up to the back seat.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Holy carp, this happened to me once in while my Jeep was still stock, maybe my second time wheeling ever lol. It is now easy decision for me to stay away from pits and most mud holes. If I have to go through something and I suspect it’s deep, I get out and check the depth with a tree branch [emoji41]

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
Running point on trails on at Bundy Hill a couple of weeks we came upon this unassuming puddle that swallowed my JK. It is 54” to the top of my hood. According to my buddy behind who didn’t have his GoPro running, the entire jeep was up to the windows in the water hole. Thank goodness it was a quick in and out. My dash came caught it. Here’s the video of it.

About an hour later, I had to winch a WJ out that had atleast got his engine up and out, but the whole back of the Jeep was full of water up to the back seat.

That's scary stuff, in a stock jeep you woulda looked like a goldfish in your jeep

wjtstudios

Hooked
Holy carp, this happened to me once in while my Jeep was still stock, maybe my second time wheeling ever lol. It is now easy decision for me to stay away from pits and most mud holes. If I have to go through something and I suspect it’s deep, I get out and check the depth with a tree branch [emoji41]

That thing looked like every other 12” puddle that we went through that day. Totally unexpected! There’s no way to check them all, it was an easy decision to put the snorkel on years ago!

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
That thing looked like every other 12” puddle that we went through that day. Totally unexpected! There’s no way to check them all, it was an easy decision to put the snorkel on years ago!

Yea I know, you can never tell how deep they are. I got water up to my ankles in the cab last year at Badlands. It was my first time wheeling with doors off....

wjtstudios

Hooked
I’ve found the same kinds of unassuming bottomless water holes at silver lake too. I’ve actually seen those almost completely swallow a built jeep. I won’t go near those after seeing that!

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Man I did that exact same thing in my old 86 cj7 with a bunch of highschool buddies back in the day. Never ever would have guessed the "puddle" we hit would be windshield deep. To this day we still shake our heads and laugh about how we made it through

fiend

Caught the Bug
Last time I went through a mud puddle I clogged up my radiator fins almost entirely. Burned up two cooling fans before I realized it. Hosed out a couple of pounds of mud from the radiator and have steered clear of mud ever since.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Last time I went through a mud puddle I clogged up my radiator fins almost entirely. Burned up two cooling fans before I realized it. Hosed out a couple of pounds of mud from the radiator and have steered clear of mud ever since.

After growing up jeeping here in Michigan I had learned to consequence early on! I watch my temp like a hawk and always purge the mud out of the jeeps that day. It gets into everything, including your radiator, so after every run I spend 20 dollars in quarters de-muddling them at my local coin car wash.

longarmwj

God :shock:

I avoid mud and DEEP water as much as I can. I don't mind a creek or a river crossing occasionally but deep standing water I avoid.

Just two days ago I was pulling a hydro locked JK out of a local trail after he took on more then he could chew :naw:

wjtstudios

Hooked
God :shock:

I avoid mud and DEEP water as much as I can. I don't mind a creek or a river crossing occasionally but deep standing water I avoid.

Just two days ago I was pulling a hydro locked JK out of a local trail after he took on more then he could chew :naw:

I try to as well. That one snuck up on me!

HoosierWolf

We were at an off road park last year and The Wife wanted to go through some water (she was driving at the time) I directed her to go on the side first so we could get an idea of the depth because we hadn't seen anyone go through it yet. She grudgingly did and it wasn't too bad but as we turned around a Toyota pick up went into the middle, bogged down, and stalled. She just looked at me and said "glad I listened."

Top Bottom