Is my front axle bent?

Jkobert

Need some help. I think I’ve bent my front axle (Dana 30) I put angle finder on the top of the ballpoints. There is about 3 degree difference. Is that normal? I also noticed that paint has all flaked off the tub.

My Jeep:
Full Synergy Lift with full adjustable control arms. Full high steer kit from Synergy.

The Incident:
I was playing in some mud and drove my front passenger into a rut and a decent speed. Brought my Jeep to a dead stop. Driving home the steering wheel was not centered, and my traction control came on.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You put a high steer kit on a D30? Wtf?

Your traction control was going off because your steering wheel wasn’t straight. Bring it to an alignment shop and they will be able to tell if it’s a bent housing. Your balljoints are flat to measure from anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jkobert

I put the synergy high steer kit on, so just bolt on. I have also fixed my steering wheel by readjusting the drag link too.

The incident happen a few weeks ago, and I fixed the steering wheel right away, but I notice a vibration on the freeway now that is new. This weekend I started to install a taller lift, and did a quick cycle check of the front axle. I noticed that the bump stops are hitting the frame in completely different locations. I have a full set of control arms and they are all the same lengths (side to side)

I am taking to a drive line shop to have it looked at, but want some more input before I drop several thousand on a PR44.

Drivers bump stop is leaning forward and closer to the front
IMG_1239.jpg

Passengers bump stop is leaning back and closer to the back
IMG_1240.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
When you say high steer kit, do you mean drag link flipkit that came with a raised track bar bracket?

Regardless, do what Overlander said and have a shop check out the angles.

tinyten

It may be bent but the way the bump stops are hitting it looks to me like your control arms need to be adjusted. I know you said they are all the same length but it looks as the axle is pushed forward on one side and backwards on another side, are the control arms on the passenger side damaged?

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jkobert

Yes you are correct a draglink flip kit is what is installed.

There is no damage to the control arms, they are also Synergy, and look fine. Some minor damage to the passenger lower frame mount, but that damage is 2 years old and never been a issue before.

I do have this paint that has cracked and flaked off the long tube of the axle, which is new.

CrazyLarry

The stock control arm brackets are pretty flimsy especially the axle side lowers. Those square holes have a tendency to open up with a good hit. Check you brackets on the the frame and axle for bending and ovaled out holes. That’s what happened to me

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

It may be bent but the way the bump stops are hitting it looks to me like your control arms need to be adjusted. I know you said they are all the same length but it looks as the axle is pushed forward on one side and backwards on another side, are the control arms on the passenger side damaged?

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

That's most likely an issue relating to track bar length, not control arms.

** I'm from Vancouver as well. Could probably take a look at it for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jkobert

Got back from the drive shop and it's bent. Looking at the front you can see it going up.

Order a PR44

Thank you for the help.

Top Bottom