Overhead Popping Noise

marshrat

I have a 2013 JKRU and over the last week from purchase have noticed a popping noise as I hit bumps or shifts in the road. I had the dealership mount the tires/wheels and do all the rust undercoating, paint, and interior protection before I took possession (I do this with all new car purchases and have great luck preventing rust). The dealership did remove the hardtop and Freedom tops during appication. During the test drive I did not hear this noise. This is my first long awaited jeep and I do understand that a Jeep will make noises that a closed vehicle may not which I'm cool with. My brothers JKUS does not make this noise. I have removed the Freedom tops and still not change. I had my wife drive as I sat in the back pushing on the tops and trim with no change.

This past weekend I did a ton of mods including wiring runs front and rear, cb antenna install, etc. I removed trim pieces for a clean install and inspected them before removal towards anything that may be causing the noise. All trim was tight and made no noises when shifted. Any thoughts? Do I just live with it? Are any of you experiencing the same?

Thanks in advance.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Typically, popping sounds come from something shifting around. Do you still have the sound now that you've cleaned everything up and re-tightened all the bolts? Are you sure it's coming from the hard top?

marshrat

Yea cleaned everything. Inspected both the hard top and freedom tops. Noise still exists. I am pretty sure its coming from the tops. Noise is right over my head.

RockyJk

Did the dealership lift the body when they did the undercoating? I had a ram with loose body mounts and it would pop when i would hit bumps or take corners

marshrat

I'm not sure. I will call the dealership and ask. I wasn't aware that they would do that. Ill keep you guys posted.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using WAYALIFE mobile app

SP77

Mine does that too. I think it's the Freedom top parts flexing against each other or something. I notice it more when it's cold out. Once in a while I'll check under the T-tops and find one of the torx bolts are loose.

marshrat

What tbolts are I talking about. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

SP77

There are two at the front of the rear top that bolt into the rollbar on each side. You will have to remove the t-tops to see them.

marshrat

Got it. Thanks. I will check it out later today. Thanks.

marshrat

Mine does that too. I think it's the Freedom top parts flexing against each other or something. I notice it more when it's cold out. Once in a while I'll check under the T-tops and find one of the torx bolts are loose.

Thanks found two bolts loose. A little elbow grease and all fixed up.

Top Bottom