Any problems with these wheels and the PR60 ? Ball joints look vulnerable

Deacon

So Im about 90% finished with my PR60 install. But now that Im finished have some concerns --lol havent even drove it yet - Anyway - as stated I have the Hardcore PR60 axle set - chose 37x12.5 -17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers matched to KMC Machete Beadlocks - Ofcourse these only come in 3.5 backspacing. Researched the hell out of everything, at least I thought I did.
Width of my jeep before with GY Duratrac 315/70-17 from lug to lug was 77" - with my new setup it measures 82.25" - so now jeep is roughly 5.25" wider.

Ok so to the question - Looking at the pics - it looks like my lower ball joints are really exposed to some damage. Did I make the wrong choice in wheel ? Im pretty sure Ive seen this combo on a few other jeeps - thought Evo had a jeep like this and also thinking TGoss had this same combo. If its an issue, man its going to be a pain in the ass to correct - take some worries away and tell me its all good :)

showing balljoint.jpg front PR60.jpg

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Just add an easy-out and some new low profile zerk fittings with you in your trail kit. That will help to ensure you never need them👍

jeffj

Caught the Bug
They are exposed and I did put the low profile fittings, that I ripped out of one side. Like everyone said, they are tough and I’m done worrying about them. A lot of people are running that set up and I have not heard of anyone that had a problem other than pulling there fitting out.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Deacon

What size are the fittings. I need to change mine out as well.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Was just fixing to ask the same question....

Thanks guys for all the replies...good feedback.... if there's a replacement low profile replacement.... please show a link or if it's something I can pick up at the Auto store. Want to replace it before I break it.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
So Im about 90% finished with my PR60 install. But now that Im finished have some concerns --lol havent even drove it yet - Anyway - as stated I have the Hardcore PR60 axle set - chose 37x12.5 -17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers matched to KMC Machete Beadlocks - Ofcourse these only come in 3.5 backspacing. Researched the hell out of everything, at least I thought I did.
Width of my jeep before with GY Duratrac 315/70-17 from lug to lug was 77" - with my new setup it measures 82.25" - so now jeep is roughly 5.25" wider.

Ok so to the question - Looking at the pics - it looks like my lower ball joints are really exposed to some damage. Did I make the wrong choice in wheel ? Im pretty sure Ive seen this combo on a few other jeeps - thought Evo had a jeep like this and also thinking TGoss had this same combo. If its an issue, man its going to be a pain in the ass to correct - take some worries away and tell me its all good :)

View attachment 283373 View attachment 283374

Sorry for the complete derailment of your thread, but Im curious, as an experienced Duratrac owner, how do you like the ridge grapplers, noise, highway ride, etc?

Deacon

Sorry for the complete derailment of your thread, but Im curious, as an experienced Duratrac owner, how do you like the ridge grapplers, noise, highway ride, etc?

Let you know in about a week. Just finished the complete axle install, waiting on my front /rear Adams 1350 DS to come in, hoping there here Friday, so my maiden voyage won't be till Saturday. Again big thanks to all the great knowledge here, through all the reading I've done, I feel my alignment should be spot on, I altered my rear brake lines nice and neat behind the frame and read all the other tips...more to come..

Also ordered those low profile grease fittings......... and may change out my brand new wheels for some trailreadys in 5.0 backspacing...... any negatives in going this route?

dillard09

I can help a bit. I have the 37x12.50r20 Ridge Grapplers on my Raptor. I have about 2k on them and they are pretty nice. Really smooth ride and quite. Time will tell when they get some miles on them. I also like the aggressive sidewall on a more mild tread. Looks mean but pretty tame.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

I'll chime in as I have about 15k miles on mine now.
Still very quiet, much quieter than my MTR's that sounded like a jet taking off.
No lug thumping on the road or vibrations.
Traction has been very very good. It's usually very wet out here with a lot of mud, tree roots, Pacific Northwest (JKX) type of wheeling.
I found them to hook up better than any mud terrain I've used so far. Probably due to the siping.
I just tried them out in snow Sunday as well, they did better than expected. I was going to invest in a set of V-bars this year but now I'm not quite sure haha.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
The ridge grapplers seem to be extremely heavy, much heavier than even STT pros if the specs on their site are to be believed, 81lbs for a 37, while an STT is 75. I was curious to hear from the OP since he had duratracs, and how they compare with roadnoise, as well as offroad behavior. I am trying to plan out my JL build, and want to move to 37s. I absolutely loved everything about my duratracs, but sadly they dont come in 37s so they are out. STTs are weirdly classified as AT on Cooper's site, and are M+S rated, so it's not a pure MT, but they seem to be noisy (compared to other hybrids like the KO2 and Duratracs) so I was left with the porky ridge grappler haha

J

JKDream

The ridge grapplers seem to be extremely heavy, much heavier than even STT pros if the specs on their site are to be believed, 81lbs for a 37, while an STT is 75. I was curious to hear from the OP since he had duratracs, and how they compare with roadnoise, as well as offroad behavior. I am trying to plan out my JL build, and want to move to 37s. I absolutely loved everything about my duratracs, but sadly they dont come in 37s so they are out. STTs are weirdly classified as AT on Cooper's site, and are M+S rated, so it's not a pure MT, but they seem to be noisy (compared to other hybrids like the KO2 and Duratracs) so I was left with the porky ridge grappler haha
I had 315/70/17 Duratracs before the MTRs if that helps at all. Ridge Grapplers are likely heavier as they have more tread due to less spacing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

dillard09

So I have the STT Pros on my JK and the Ridge Grappler on my Raptor. As far as between the 2 tires for my JK it's the STT pros all day long and twice on Saturday!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom