ESC light came on on highway. Related to wind?

WJCO

Meme King
We have a 2011 JKU. We were on highway last night for several hours with a strong sidewind. At one point we had the steering wheel turned at least 30 degrees just to keep the jeep in its lane. We drove like this for quite awhile. Randomly the ESC light came on. Button did nothing when attempting to turn off the light. No other symptoms occurred. Eventually, hours later after driving straight when wind stopped, the light disappeared after restarting the jeep. I haven't checked for codes yet.

Is this even possible that the steering wheel being off-center for so long would trigger the light?It was just so random.

jeeeep

Hooked
yes, I've had it trigger when hit with a hard wind gust from the side.

I've since done the steering wheel dance and permanently disabled ESC - the light is on all the time but I don't have issues with it trying to apply brakes when I don't want nor need it to.

tdougherty81

We have a 2011 JKU. We were on highway last night for several hours with a strong sidewind. At one point we had the steering wheel turned at least 30 degrees just to keep the jeep in its lane. We drove like this for quite awhile. Randomly the ESC light came on. Button did nothing when attempting to turn off the light. No other symptoms occurred. Eventually, hours later after driving straight when wind stopped, the light disappeared after restarting the jeep. I haven't checked for codes yet.

Is this even possible that the steering wheel being off-center for so long would trigger the light?It was just so random.

Mine went off this morning, making a banking turn. Feel my steering is pretty centered but it just randomly went off.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
yes, I've had it trigger when hit with a hard wind gust from the side.

I've since done the steering wheel dance and permanently disabled ESC - the light is on all the time but I don't have issues with it trying to apply brakes when I don't want nor need it to.

Do you have a link to the dance routine. I want to shut mine off.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jsouder53

Hooked
I had an issue with my light being on a while ago, I feel it could be the steering wheel alignment. Since you had your steering turned in one direction for so long it probably just threw the computer off.

Right after I put a lift on my Jeep the steering wheel was cocked sideways probably at 45 degrees and the light was on until I got an alignment done.

jeeeep

Hooked
Do you have a link to the dance routine. I want to shut mine off.

took me a couple of tries but it works:

1. Verify that the automatic transmission selector is in the “Park” position, and that a manual transmission is in neutral gear.
2. Shift the transfer case into the 4H range position and ensure parking brake is firmly set.
3. Turn the steering wheel until it is centered and the wheels are pointed straight ahead.
4. Turn ignition on (and optionally start engine to make turning the wheel easier – will work with or without engine running) and wait approximately five (5) seconds for the system bulb check to complete.
5. Turn the steering wheel one-half turn to the right (clockwise).
6. Press and hold the “ESP OFF” button for 7 seconds then release and wait for chime.
7. Turn the steering wheel back to centre, then continue turning the steering wheel one-half turn to the left (counter clockwise).
8. Press and hold the “ESP OFF” button for 7 seconds, release and wait for chime.
9. Turn the steering wheel back to centre.
10. Press and hold the “ESP OFF” button for 7 seconds, release and wait for chime.
11. Cycle the ignition switch to the “OFF” position.

After performing the ESP disable procedure correctly, “ESP OFF” will be displayed in the odometer for approximately 12 seconds each time the ignition is moved to ON. Repeating the ESP disable procedure will re-enable normal ESP operation.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
took me a couple of tries but it works:

1.Verify that the automatic transmission selector is in the “Park” position, and that a manual transmission is in neutral gear.
2.Shift the transfer case into the 4H range position and ensure parking brake is firmly set.
3.Turn the steering wheel until it is centered and the wheels are pointed straight ahead.
4.Turn ignition on (and optionally start engine to make turning the wheel easier – will work with or without engine running) and wait approximately five (5) seconds for the system bulb check to complete.
5.Turn the steering wheel one-half turn to the right (clockwise).
6.Press and hold the “ESP OFF” button for 7 seconds then release and wait for chime.
7.Turn the steering wheel back to centre, then continue turning the steering wheel one-half turn to the left (counter clockwise).
8.Press and hold the “ESP OFF” button for 7 seconds, release and wait for chime.
9.Turn the steering wheel back to centre.
10.Press and hold the “ESP OFF” button for 7 seconds, release and wait for chime.
11.Cycle the ignition switch to the “OFF” position.

After performing the ESP disable procedure correctly, “ESP OFF” will be displayed in the odometer for approximately 12 seconds each time the ignition is moved to ON. Repeating the ESP disable procedure will re-enable normal ESP operation.

Thank you!

WJCO

Meme King
So checked codes this morning. Code was a C123F for steering angle sensor. The light still hasn't came back. So I'm guessing that the angle being off for so long was the issue. Thanks, guys.

Top Bottom