Bought to build '13 JKUR

evilpersona

So this is a story all about how my life got flipped turned upside down...

Anyway. I have been a Jeep Guy for quite a few years. Had a few ZJs then a YJ. Went from the YJ to a fully built LJ that i spent a good year and half rebuilding from the ground up. 00i0i_1rjsvXtoeMQ_600x450.jpg 00q0q_97exy552J2w_1200x900.jpg

Got tired of that one. and started hunting around for a JK. My only requirements were it had to be a rubicon, 4 door, hardtop automatic. Preferably 2012+.

After about 2-3 weeks of looking I came across a 2013 JKUR with 56,000 miles on it.
test.jpg

Specs were pretty decent for what i paid.
3.5" AEV Dualsport Kit
35" Duratracs on 16" Mammoth Rims
Synergy Steering with Draglink flip
Solid Diff Covers
Extended brake lines all around
Rugged Ridge Snorkel.

So i brought it home. and scheduled my first wheeling trip with the club i belong to.
Before the trip i installed some amazon led headlights bc the stock ones sucked. and a skid row engine/transmission skid

Then off to the races...

So it was a good day until the end. Got back on the road to head home and bam. death wobble.
Pull over look under it and noticed this...
IMG_0105.HEIC.jpg

Cracked the axle housing. Luckily one of the other guys in my club was able to put me on his trailer and get the jeep home.

Ordered a new front housing monday and it should be here today. Will be swapping it in tomorrow. and running it empty until i can get the jeep in for a regear and some other new toys.

Its getting 5.13s, 37x12.5x17 STT Pros, Walker Evans rims, WTO hydro assist and RCVs. I also ordered a truss and c gussets from jcr to get thrown on the new axle housing so i dont have this issue again.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
First off welcome to wayalife and nice lj. Were you really smashing on it or do you think it might have been already about to go? As far as the new housing you might consider just getting a prorock 44 housing and swapping internals especially considering how you plan to build it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

evilpersona

i wasnt beating on it. so i think it may have been going. I ordered a factory rubicon 44 with j8 tubes. supposedly the tubes are thicker material so it should be stronger. but its definitely getting trussed and gusseted before i go wheeling again.

evilpersona

truss and gussets are already ordered. after watching another guy in my club break his sleeved rubicon 44. im not taking any chances and trussing it.

evilpersona

well the new axle didnt come in this weekend. but i did get the old one removed. now comes the waiting game for the axle. in all likelyhood it will not go in until after thanksgiving.

Also pretty much got confirmation that the axle was already slightly cracked before hand. Part of the crack was rusted, while the rest of it was pretty clean metal wise.

23658508_10100197537595554_2277527208683631361_n.jpg

Now i just have to straighten the aev trackbar bracket as it bent when the axle broke as it was actually holding it together.

evilpersona

Just got this picture sent to me by my friend that ordered the axle for me through his shop.
23722357_1475850285869126_5373763699497536615_n.jpg

Looks beefy.
3/8" wall axle tubes.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Cool. Happy that you weren’t hurt when the axle broke. Pretty impressive and scary thing to see.

evilpersona

Truss and gussets are installed. Trackbar bracket showed up yesterday hoping to install it on the axle today and get it swapped in. Also took advantage of a black friday sale and ordered my new front bumper. I went with the jcr dagger frame chop bumper. also picked up some evo d-ring mounts from a local guy thats re-building his jk to run the emc in february so i got them for a steal. also picking up a full set of rock krawler control arms from the same guy for free.99. also may be selling the lj sooner than i thought. Guy thats interested in it gave me an offer i cant really beat. Hes just gotta come take a look at it. once he does and he buys it upgrades for the jku will get kicked into high gear and ill be ready for wheeling again in no time.

evilpersona

and it livesssss. finished it at about 8:30 last night. Just needs an alignment and to figure out why the abs light and traction control lights are on and its all good. well at least until i can get it in to be re-geared and setup again. its currently just an empty housing.
24232412_10100200294620454_3678373190984200442_n.jpg

evilpersona

My Old LJ went bye bye last night. Friend of mine wound up buying it for asking. Upgrades will now commence on the JKU. 4.88s RCVs rear chromos 37s hydro assist. Im happy with the deal I made for it. I will miss it but on to bigger and better things.

24796289_1489849491135872_4757491607804320572_n.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
That's a beautiful Jeep. Sucks you had to get rid of it. Good luck with the new build though.

evilpersona

So its been a little while since ive posted on here.

Wound up ditching the evo d-ring mounts on the rear and went with a jcr mauler rear bumper.

The 4.88s and 37s are a wonderful combination, will do 75 no problems, well besides the hood looking like its gonna fly up at any moment.

Had some issues with my lockers not working, wound up hardwiring them to an spod knockoff. Now they work great and its nice being able to turn them on whenever i want.

A week after the re-gear was done my oil pressure sensor went bad, so pulled the upper and lower intake manifolds off to do that.

Wheeled it a few times and then my steering started giving me issues. Steering fighting me with hydro assist, every thing i read said it was the ps pump, so replaced that and the starter in anticipation for rausch last weekend.

Had a good weekend at rausch even though it rained. Did a combination of blue and black trails. Need some more seat time before i hit more blacks.

Steering started fighting me again, so its gonna go to the shop that did the hydro assist install and see if they can figure out the issue.

Won a powertank 10lb setup in a raffle at the event i was at so it was a good weekend.

Now no more wheeling till june. Getting married in may and need to focus the jeep money towards the wedding.lol

IMG_2975.JPG

IMG_3011.JPG

IMG_3006.JPG

IMG_3004.JPG

IMG_3018.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom