Water sound coming from dashboard?

Sahara_Maverick

My JKU started doing a weird sound when I turn it on, like water running. It eventually stops and it's random. Could not associate with anything. Sometimes does with cold engine and sometimes with warm engine.

Coolant reservoir level is fine so apparently no leaks.

Another symptom is the heating. Sometimes it does not work and I have to rotate the temperature control knob all the way up and then down and then up again for it to start heating.

It's a 07 JKU. Any hints about this gremlin? Hopefully not the TIPM failing, again.

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

MacRubi2

Mine does the same thing when I first start it.
I believe it’s just the water pump just moving coolant through the system.

Shouldn’t cause any issues

Sounds like the blend door is not moving correctly for the heat problem

Josh27

That water rushing sound means you are low on coolant and there is air in the system so you may have a small leak. If there is air in the system it usually gets caught in the heater core because thats the highest point and you won't get much heat coming out of the vents. Ive had that water rushing sound a few times and each time I had a leak causing air to get into the system. Try adding coolant and burping the system and see if the sound comes back and check for signs of leaks.

TomDabb

If that doesn't do it, have someone reverse flush your heater core. It worked magic on my 2013 this week. Their not the same engine yours and mine, but just a good thought.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Josh27

If that doesn't do it, have someone reverse flush your heater core. It worked magic on my 2013 this week. Their not the same engine yours and mine, but just a good thought.

Yeah the heater core could be plugged up too. I had to flush mine about a month and a half ago. Spend 6 hours running water back and fourth through it and got a TON of crap out of it and then my heat worked again lol.

Sahara_Maverick

Thanks!
Coolant level is fine. It was one of the first things I checked.

I also noticed the engine getting warmer than normal. I have a Bully Dog tuner and set it to constantly some parameters and coolant temp is one of them.

Considering the heating issues in the cabin with the temp going above the usual 220F, could it be the coolant pump going bad?

The heating is working great when it works (which is most of the time). Air coming out of it is very hot and I usually keep it in a low setting even in Winter.

Any way to check it out by myself of need to take to a shop or dealer to check pressure?

scrota76

I have the same noise in my Jeep. I also drive a new Dodge Charger a few days a week, and it makes the same noise when started, hot or cold. Sounds like water sloshing around.

I would imagine that some parts in the Jeep are universal to Dodge. Pretty sure it has to do with the climate system. Both the Charger and my Jeep randomly dump water from somewhere when stopped.

Where is that master Jeep guy that just passed the test? Maybe he knows whats up with FCA climate systems making that noise.

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Josh27

Thanks!
Coolant level is fine. It was one of the first things I checked.

I also noticed the engine getting warmer than normal. I have a Bully Dog tuner and set it to constantly some parameters and coolant temp is one of them.

Considering the heating issues in the cabin with the temp going above the usual 220F, could it be the coolant pump going bad?

The heating is working great when it works (which is most of the time). Air coming out of it is very hot and I usually keep it in a low setting even in Winter.

Any way to check it out by myself of need to take to a shop or dealer to check pressure?

You sure there is no air in the system? Just because the overflow tank has coolant in it and you can see coolant in the radiator doesn't mean the system is full of coolant and there is no air in it. Not trying to belittle you or say I know all, but everything that you are describing were symptoms i have had relating to low coolant/air in the system. I also ran a bit hotter when I was low.

Josh27

There could be. How to check it out? l'm open to test all possibilities. Learn quite a bit in the process.

Pick up a spill free funnel from an auto parts store for about $30 and some coolant. This funnel attaches where the radiator cap is and you pour in some coolant until it is partway into the funnel. Start the jeep and let it run until it reaches operating temp and the thermostat opens. You should see bubbles coming up into the funnel because that is now the highest point in the system and the air will work its way out (squeezing the upper radiator hose also helps get air out). Be careful and watch the coolant in the funnel. Once the bubbles stop and the level starts to rise shut the jeep off so it doesn't overflow. This funnel makes it super easy to burp the system and I've had good results with it. If you need, I believe there are some videos on youtube that show you how to do it.

MacRubi2

That water rushing sound means you are low on coolant and there is air in the system so you may have a small leak. If there is air in the system it usually gets caught in the heater core because thats the highest point and you won't get much heat coming out of the vents. Ive had that water rushing sound a few times and each time I had a leak causing air to get into the system. Try adding coolant and burping the system and see if the sound comes back and check for signs of leaks.

Mine started this after the dealer replaced the leaking radiator under warranty

I’ve checked coolant level multiple times always full

My heater works great but I still hear coolant moving at start up 50% if the time

Josh27

My heater works great but I still hear coolant moving at start up 50% if the time

My guess would be they didn't get all the air out of the system. I could be wrong though.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I've experienced this one time.
I left the jeep running with the A/C on, and on a pretty steep chamber section of trail leaning passenger.
When I hopped back into the jeep, it sounded like rushing water from behind the glove box. As soon as the jeep was level again, the sound went away, and I never heard it again.
It could be a clogged A/C condenser drain or something like that, if coolant levels are fine.

sent from SPACE!
DZZ Build thread

Sahara_Maverick

Mine is also only occasionally and started recently.

I stopped by a couple stores and both were charging $44 for the exact same product (even part number the same) that I buy online for $20. I told them I'd pay $25 or so for the convenience. No deal.

So, ordering online. Should be here soon.

TFD

I’m getting the exact same sound after the dealer replaced the radiator on my 15 jku.

Top Bottom