To BFG or Not to BFG?

MericaMade

So, on my diesel rig I have had good luck with BFGs, but was shocked when I was told by a few people to stay away from the new BFG KO2 because they no longer have a tread warranty.

Must question is how are the BFG KO2 holding up for you guys running them?

For those of you who are not what is most common tires or the general go to for a 35?

Mcollins443

I bought KO2s a year ago and have 14k miles on them now and I can still slightly see the numbers molded on the tread. They’re wearing like iron. I rotate the spare in also around every 5k miles. They are E rated though so it’s a pretty rough ride especially in my 2 door.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Ausjeep113

So, on my diesel rig I have had good luck with BFGs, but was shocked when I was told by a few people to stay away from the new BFG KO2 because they no longer have a tread warranty.

For those of you who are not what is most common tires or the general go to for a 35?

I was reading some reviews on the BFG website the other day and it seems that everyone with Jeeps and landcruisers (vehicles that size) absolutely love them but everyone with silverados, f trucks and rams were giving them bad reviews. Not sure if they don’t hold up to the extra weight of the big rigs and wear quicker or what it was. Might pay to go on the website and have a read for yourself though.

jeeeep

Hooked

it's the same with all tire manufacturers - they'll only warranty a tire that is made for OEM fit.

if I bought KO2 in stock size I'd have a better warranty than the 37's I'm running.

so buy from Discount and get the certificate!

I've racked up about 44000 miles on my KO2 37's mix of trail and lots of freeway. 5 tire rotation with each oil change.

I have noticed the driver side cupping since last rotation but I suspect bad ball joint.

They're also getting down to the point where I'm thinking it's time for a new set of tires before I begin winter travel.

Overall I've been really happy with them.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I’ve run the BFG mud and ATs for 22 years on CJs, H3s and JKs in 33-37. I’ve had as many as 50k on set before I had swapped them out for the next set. I will never put a different brand on one of my rigs. I total agree with getting them thru discount tire. Buy the protection plan and they will replace the tire if anything goes wrong with it including ripping your side wall on a rock. They didn’t even question it when I brought it in.

Zevulin

You did an engine swap to a diesel?

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
I have KO2's on my Silverado and I love them. No issues towing or in snow/slush. They've been a great tire so far.

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
...was shocked when I was told by a few people to stay away from the new BFG KO2 because they no longer have a tread warranty.

Similar to some of the others, I've lost count how many sets of KO2s I've had, from pickups, to SUVs, to Suburbans. And now, my JK. I have yet to have one fail on me. The KOs, rated as a 60,000 mile tire, is what I've gotten with them. The set on my Suburban, took right to 59K. Wasn't to the wear bars yet but, with the rocks/etc making regular contact with the tire's carcass, decided it was time.

I suspect what,'...a few people...' have meant by no tread warranty is that, unlike the KO, the KO2 has no mileage warranty. Many of the BFG tires that used to have mileage warranties, no longer do. If you go to bfgoodrichtires.com, you can download their 24 pg warranty guide.

All BFGoodrich® tires have a Standard Manufacturer's Limited Warranty, which covers defects in workmanship and materials for the life of the original usable tread, or for 6 years from date of purchase, whichever occurs first. 'Usable tread,' is defined as 2/32nds...across the face of the tread. They define uneven wear as a tread groove difference of 2/32" inch or more across the face of the tread on the same tire.

Read the entire warranty, there is no requirement that the tire be an OEM fitment. Only that it applies to the vehicle to which it was originally fitted. It's a basic 'manufacturer' warranty against manufacturing defects. Not warranted are, "cuts, snags, bruises, impact damage or punctures," they say.

There's a lot of discussion about how to make a claim. PIA. Far easier, as many do, to simply buy a certificate from Discount Tire. If 'anything' happens to it during it's life, you're golden.

...as for on my JK, couldn't be happier. Dramatically better than what they replaced.

MericaMade

Similar to some of the others, I've lost count how many sets of KO2s I've had, from pickups, to SUVs, to Suburbans. And now, my JK. I have yet to have one fail on me. The KOs, rated as a 60,000 mile tire, is what I've gotten with them. The set on my Suburban, took right to 59K. Wasn't to the wear bars yet but, with the rocks/etc making regular contact with the tire's carcass, decided it was time.

I suspect what,'...a few people...' have meant by no tread warranty is that, unlike the KO, the KO2 has no mileage warranty. Many of the BFG tires that used to have mileage warranties, no longer do. If you go to bfgoodrichtires.com, you can download their 24 pg warranty guide.

All BFGoodrich® tires have a Standard Manufacturer's Limited Warranty, which covers defects in workmanship and materials for the life of the original usable tread, or for 6 years from date of purchase, whichever occurs first. 'Usable tread,' is defined as 2/32nds...across the face of the tread. They define uneven wear as a tread groove difference of 2/32" inch or more across the face of the tread on the same tire.

Read the entire warranty, there is no requirement that the tire be an OEM fitment. Only that it applies to the vehicle to which it was originally fitted. It's a basic 'manufacturer' warranty against manufacturing defects. Not warranted are, "cuts, snags, bruises, impact damage or punctures," they say.

There's a lot of discussion about how to make a claim. PIA. Far easier, as many do, to simply buy a certificate from Discount Tire. If 'anything' happens to it during it's life, you're golden.

...as for on my JK, couldn't be happier. Dramatically better than what they replaced.

Thank you and like I said I was a little taken back when some random guy said the BFG were junk since they stopped the tread warranty. I figured it was just his bad opinion, but then I ran across two other people that said the same and the reason was because the tread warranty changed. So, I suspect they just figure if BFG changed their tread warranty then they assume the tires are not good anymore. Thank you for all the insight and help on the tires. They were my first choice of tire and will be a upcoming add-on in the near future. Now time to decided what rims to go with the new tires.

MericaMade

I cant decided to run 35's or 37's. I am reading the 37 run small on the KO2's. Can i get some insight on your thoughts about this?

wjtstudios

Hooked
I cant decided to run 35's or 37's. I am reading the 37 run small on the KO2's. Can i get some insight on your thoughts about this?

Yes, the 37s run a bit small measuring 35.5” on the jeep under weight. Those have about 6k on them and are at 28 psi cold. Aside from that, they are heavy as hell. Significantly more than the 35s, so expect some bent axle shaft flanges. I upgraded them to revolution shafts and had a lot better luck not venting them.

With that said, I wouldn’t buy anything else.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
I ran them on my 2012 and they wear like iron, but they do run small. When I changed to the same size nitto it felt like I went up a tire size.

MericaMade

So, would I be better off getting the 37's since they run closer to a 35? I have no plans to re-gear my 4.10's as of now.

powrsurg

Ive had the KO2's on two vehicles now, 2015 JKUR and a 2105 Ram 1500. I liked them. I think the Tread of the Duratracs may have lasted longer. I had 24000 miles on my duratracs and had a way to go on them but sold the Jeep. I now have a 2015 Rubi with 21k miles ands the KO2's need to be replaced. The KO2's were great in snow and highway driving. If anything I felt safe on them going around wet turns than I did the Duratracs.

Tanktitan

I have 37” KO2’s and have wondered at what tread depth they would need replacing. I frankly cannot imagine running to the wear bars as I use my jeep primarily getting to and running trails. I would like some opinions.

wutwasithnkn

I have 37” KO2’s and have wondered at what tread depth they would need replacing. I frankly cannot imagine running to the wear bars as I use my jeep primarily getting to and running trails. I would like some opinions.

Tankitan, I have the same 37” tires. Only have a couple thousand on them but they are great so far. My question to you is what tire pressure are you running on the highway with yours? I am running 30 psi, thinking it is better for gas mileage but they seem to get a little more squirrelly at that pressure. Sorry to go off topic but curious to know.

Tanktitan

Tankitan, I have the same 37” tires. Only have a couple thousand on them but they are great so far. My question to you is what tire pressure are you running on the highway with yours? I am running 30 psi, thinking it is better for gas mileage but they seem to get a little more squirrelly at that pressure. Sorry to go off topic but curious to know.

Again, this is not my daily drive but when traveling I might run 33 but in any short situations no more than 30. When airing down I may only take them back to 25-26. I have a dual ARB onboard compressor with quick connects on my bumper. Easy to change pressure. I do know that if I put the “door recommended” 37, it is a really harsh ride.

Top Bottom