My 06 tj is having signal problems

isaiasrodriguez

When I signal to turn, my light won’t trash and won’t show in the dash, emergency lights don’t work either, fuses or good, and the bulbs are good. High lights work and brake lights work. I changed the relay and it worked for a bit but then it buzzed and stopped. Anyone have any idea what the problem is?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

When I signal to turn, my light won’t trash and won’t show in the dash, emergency lights don’t work either, fuses or good, and the bulbs are good. High lights work and brake lights work. I changed the relay and it worked for a bit but then it buzzed and stopped. Anyone have any idea what the problem is?

Sounds like youve already located the problem, if replacing a relay fixed it its a bad relay. Have you tried another relay to find out if you got a bad one?

PT1400

It is not a bad relay. You have a short somewhere between the relay and the lights that is causing the relays to burn up. Just replacing the relay was bad advice.

Pull out the relay and the lights. Use a multi meter set to ohms. One test probe to the negative battery terminal and one to the terminal load side of the relay will confirm this. You could find the short and tape it, heat shrink it or replace the wire.

isaiasrodriguez

It is not a bad relay. You have a short somewhere between the relay and the lights that is causing the relays to burn up. Just replacing the relay was bad advice.

Pull out the relay and the lights. Use a multi meter set to ohms. One test probe to the negative battery terminal and one to the terminal load side of the relay will confirm this. You could find the short and tape it, heat shrink it or replace the wire.

Ah okay, hopefully that’s the problem

BobNH

Here are some 2001 tj screenies that may help
Grrrrr....
Hold in, will try from web. I uninstalled and reinstalled tapstalk but it still wont let me upload pics....
Screenshot_2017-11-22-19-41-40.jpg
Screenshot_2017-11-22-19-41-44.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Relays go out on tj’s, pretty common. It’s not bad advice to think that a replacement may have been defective (I’ve bought two, thanks Napa) and to try replacing it. The fact that it worked for awhile and didn’t die immediately suggests that the relay was in fact bad OR there is an intermittent short in the system that’s going to be harder to diagnose. I would first ensure I didn’t get a defective product.

isaiasrodriguez

Relays go out on tj’s, pretty common. It’s not bad advice to think that a replacement may have been defective (I’ve bought two, thanks Napa) and to try replacing it. The fact that it worked for awhile and didn’t die immediately suggests that the relay was in fact bad OR there is an intermittent short in the system that’s going to be harder to diagnose. I would first ensure I didn’t get a defective product.

I tried two and second one didn’t want to work either so I’m looking for a short but can’t find one. I gotta keep looking though

Top Bottom