GMRS radios

wjtstudios

Hooked
Has anyone used the Midland GMRS mobile radios, not the handhelds? They now have units that go up to 40 watts. I’m done with my CB. To many issues or someone in our convoy always seems not have it working properly. These just seem a lot easier for us novices. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

scrota76

Be kinda careful with rugged. They do offer great customer service, and their tech guys are awesome. The bad part is the radios they sell with their brand on it is just Baofeng or similar. You can save youself A LOT of money buying an 8 watt baofeng radio on Amazon, or even the 5 watt. Then download chirp software, for free, into your laptop and plug in all the FRS and GMRS frequencies which are already in the chirp software. I own a Rugged Radio UV5R radio that i paid over $100 for, along with 3 Baofeng UV5R radios $25 each and 1 Baofeng UV8R $50. If you want more info i would be glad to help. YouTube has a lot of great info videos on all this.

Also, the range on these little radios is great. I do have a Kenwood V71A in my Jeep, much more expensive, but i have crossband repeat capabilities, which means i can sorta act like a repeater station for a large group. If you don't want handheld, Baofeng also makes hard mounted mobile radios, at a good price point.

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
Be kinda careful with rugged. They do offer great customer service, and their tech guys are awesome. The bad part is the radios they sell with their brand on it is just Baofeng or similar. You can save youself A LOT of money buying an 8 watt baofeng radio on Amazon, or even the 5 watt. Then download chirp software, for free, into your laptop and plug in all the FRS and GMRS frequencies which are already in the chirp software. I own a Rugged Radio UV5R radio that i paid over $100 for, along with 3 Baofeng UV5R radios $25 each and 1 Baofeng UV8R $50. If you want more info i would be glad to help. YouTube has a lot of great info videos on all this.

Also, the range on these little radios is great. I do have a Kenwood V71A in my Jeep, much more expensive, but i have crossband repeat capabilities, which means i can sorta act like a repeater station for a large group. If you don't want handheld, Baofeng also makes hard mounted mobile radios, at a good price point.

Thank you! That’s a lot of great info and it’s something that I need to learn. I’ll check out the YouTube videos and try to get a basic understanding of this. I know with the higher watt midland radios you have to register them. Is there anything that you would need to do for the Baofeng radios?

scrota76

Thank you! That’s a lot of great info and it’s something that I need to learn. I’ll check out the YouTube videos and try to get a basic understanding of this. I know with the higher watt midland radios you have to register them. Is there anything that you would need to do for the Baofeng radios?

Technically, you need to get an FCC HAM radio license. If you want to do that you can download a free app from google play or apple store, its all 5 FCC tests. Just quiz yourself over and over until memorized, find a test site in your area at the ARRL web site. The test should be offered for free, but most HAM clubs that run the test will take donations. You will be issued a call sign to make it all official, mine is KM6CDF. Then you can use your radio all day long.

HRO.com is having a cyber Monday sale right now and you can get a Yaseu Ft-2980 for $125 (normally over $200). If you call them to order it you might be able to convince someone to program it with GMRS and FRS before its shipped. They have stores all over, you might be close to one. No, i dont work for, have stock in, or know anyone that works at HRO.

There are companies that make good vhf antenna mounts that go on the A-pillar.

Last edited:

kbp810

Caught the Bug
The midlands work great when paired with a permanent mount antenna. The magnet mount it comes with works, but range isn't great, and offroad it tends to fall off... but of course by the time you get the midland and then another antenna , mount, and cable, you might as well of invested in a better radio with more options (one good option referenced above). I used a 5 watt version for a while before getting my tech license and upgrading.

Many of the made in China radios (baofeng for instance) cover the common ham bands 70cm/2m, and GMRS as well; for all others, usually a very quick and easy mod will open up transmit ability in GMRS. Then get your ham license and you're pretty well covered (note that even without a license, you can still use the radio to transmit in a legit emergency situation). Technically speaking, you're supposed to get a license for GMRS as well... the GMRS one doesn't require a test, but it's like $70 and is only good for 5 years. Though general consensus is that GMRS isn't really regulated... so most don't bother. Ham license is only like $15 to take the test, and is good for 10 years.

Top Bottom