Household Tips and Tricks

WJCO

Meme King
I swear we have a thread like this but couldn't find it. Anyways I just spent the last hour cleaning a clogged shower drain. After using baking soda and vinegar, a bailing wire, and a plunger, no luck. So I grabbed my shop vac and set it up to blow air out. I made it air tight around the drain and turned it on. Clog was gone in a second. I ran several gallons of water down the drain to make sure the clog hadn't moved. It's gone.

I'm sure many of you also have some cool tips and tricks for around the house.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I bought one of these a couple years ago from home depot.... I can’t believe how good it works on the shower & sink....

IMG_5672.JPG

BaddestCross

I swear we have a thread like this but couldn't find it. Anyways I just spent the last hour cleaning a clogged shower drain. After using baking soda and vinegar, a bailing wire, and a plunger, no luck. So I grabbed my shop vac and set it up to blow air out. I made it air tight around the drain and turned it on. Clog was gone in a second. I ran several gallons of water down the drain to make sure the clog hadn't moved. It's gone.

Lye is still the best thing to clean out a drain, but a shop vac is a great idea! 👍

Baking soda kills weeds better than any chemical killer I've ever used.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Here is a good one....when you have a garbage disposal and it starts to smell. Cut up a lemon with the rind and dump them in the drain along with a bunch of ice. Turn on water and disposal leave on until everything is ground. It gets rid of smell and sharpens your blades.:thumb:

jesse3638

Hooked

I had a clog in my washing machine drain. Same thing snaked it but could get it through the trap. Found some sulphuric acid based drain cleaner. Dumped that in there and it hissed and smoked and no more clog..haha. Said it was safe on plumbing too.
I bought one of these a couple years ago from home depot.... I can’t believe how good it works on the shower & sink....

View attachment 283982
Those do work great for hair and things in the tub and sink.
Here is a good one....when you have a garbage disposal and it starts to smell. Cut up a lemon with the rind and dump them in the drain along with a bunch of ice. Turn on water and disposal leave on until everything is ground. It gets rid of smell and sharpens your blades.:thumb:
My mom taught me that years ago. It's gross the brown stuff that comes back out sometimes too.
And actually works. Was frustrated because I've always had good luck with Round Up but either these weeds were particularly tough or they changed their formulas.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
It's all the law suits against the ingredient that supposedly gives you cancer. They probably removed it. Kind of like diazanon granules use for killing ants. Nothing worked better..haha. Maybe try used motor oil..;)

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

jesse3638

Hooked
Adding to the used of a shop vac. My washer drain pump went out a couple times. Using the shop vac to suck all the water out of the machine is a lot faster than a cup. Just be sure to remove the filter first.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I had a clog in my washing machine drain. Same thing snaked it but could get it through the trap. Found some sulphuric acid based drain cleaner. Dumped that in there and it hissed and smoked and no more clog..haha. Said it was safe on plumbing too.

I was actually thinking about sulphuric acid last night. I watched a kids shirt get eaten by it in chemistry class in high school. That shit rocks!

Top Bottom